FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Synology DSM 7.0

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:56 pm

Re: Synology DSM 7.0

polgin wrote:Create an update for 7.0 already. I really want to update, but I can't because of a non-working program

This situation is completely out of our control, start your bitching at Synology's door step since they've have created the issue.
<<

bematft

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:53 pm

Meelis wrote:Now i am as well in same situation. DSM 7.0 ready for install but i want to use Serviio. :?

Same, I paid for Serviio and I want to Use!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:39 pm

bematft wrote:
Meelis wrote:Now i am as well in same situation. DSM 7.0 ready for install but i want to use Serviio. :?

Like Kittmaster said, Synology is the one that created the problem. They have to fix it.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

bematft

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:31 am

atc98092 wrote:
bematft wrote:

Like Kittmaster said, Synology is the one that created the problem. They have to fix it.

Sorry about my words, but I think this communication need to make among Serviio and Synology developers not the users...
We, the users only can do shout to make pressure to Synology developers (and Serviios' too).
<<

bematft

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:53 am

bematft wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
bematft wrote:

Sorry about my words, but I think this communication need to make among Serviio and Synology developers not the users...
We, the users only can do shout to make pressure to Synology developers (and Serviios' too).

I made my shout here:
https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/146193
And made direct support ticket too.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:18 pm

bematft wrote:
atc98092 wrote:Like Kittmaster said, Synology is the one that created the problem. They have to fix it.

The core issue here is that Synology has changed the way the "root" user works and who/apps that can use it. Serviio's entire functionality assumes that it can act as a "root" user. Now that Synology changed that operation, it won't allow Serviio to operate properly.

So 2 things are in play.....rewrite the entire Serviio platform to deal with both DSM 6.2 and below as well as know when DSM 7+ is in play. That will take some time I imagine of Serviio's part.....but it also could be done where Synology allows legacy code to run on DSM 7, but since they changed the architecture in the "name of security" because running anything as root user can be harmful, I suspect we are at a crossroads for a while.

This is not a good place to be in......and my understanding is Synology didn't really tell anyone about what they were doing...I could be wrong...but I doubt they told every single developer in the world what they were up to.

This is not good for all...and that is why we said, don't upgrade unless there is a real need to.
<<

bematft

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:52 pm

kittmaster wrote:(...) need to.

Here is the anwer:

Serviio will not run natively on DSM7. You will need to run it through Docker.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:27 pm

bematft wrote:
kittmaster wrote:(...) need to.

Here is the anwer:

Serviio will not run natively on DSM7. You will need to run it through Docker.

That is only a workaround, not the final answer.

Not everyone understands first...what is docker, second...how/why do you use it....etc.

When I was searching for a Media Server, if I came across anything that wasn't more than a simple install, I moved on..... No one is going to want to have to deal with docker to make Serviio work....some are more able than others....so this really needs a proper fix....workarounds are only good short term, but if it works for you, great!

Hopefully this gets sorted out sooner than later.
<<

bematft

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:57 am

kittmaster wrote:
That is only a workaround, not the final answer.

Not everyone understands first...what is docker, second...how/why do you use it....etc.

When I was searching for a Media Server, if I came across anything that wasn't more than a simple install, I moved on..... No one is going to want to have to deal with docker to make Serviio work....some are more able than others....so this really needs a proper fix....workarounds are only good short term, but if it works for you, great!

Hopefully this gets sorted out sooner than later.

I Understand your problem I am an IT PM ... And exactly know the developers everything can do.. ;)
I caught a document... https://global.download.synology.com/do ... 0_Beta.pdf
;)

Try to communicate with the synology devs!
<<

bematft

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:02 am

One more:
I am ready to pay again for a working version ;)

We love Serviio!!
<<

Tmarquis

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:13 pm

HI

I am stuck also with a 2.1 version on 2 SHA DS1515+ .....

I am also very sad about the fact that DSM 7.0 has really damage my set-up beause all was going well.

The Synology Video Station does not cut it.

As a 32 years experienced IT PM , I do understand the complexity of agreements between providers to generate apps that are connected.

This being said, I would pay again to have a Serviio version working on DSM 7.0 (and up) and I would also like a Alexa skill that work as well.

Tony Marquis
Tony :D
<<

Sargon

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:34 pm

Has there been any progress on a Serviio version that is compatible with DSM 7?

I know there is the Docker workaround, but I'm still holding out hope for a native application.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:45 pm

Sargon wrote:Has there been any progress on a Serviio version that is compatible with DSM 7?

I know there is the Docker workaround, but I'm still holding out hope for a native application.

That is only something that Zip can answer and I've yet to see anything that remotely talks about an ETA of a native fix.

Hopefully that will evolve sooner than later.
<<

greekdroid

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:21 am

Hello
Will there ever be a Serviio version again which can be installed on DSM 7.0 and what is the schedule. Can someone give information about this?
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:29 pm

greekdroid wrote:Hello
Will there ever be a Serviio version again which can be installed on DSM 7.0 and what is the schedule. Can someone give information about this?

There is no info about this.....if you read the thread in its entirety, you will see that this question has been asked and answered.
<<

Sargon

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:52 pm

kittmaster wrote:
greekdroid wrote:Hello

There is no info about this.....if you read the thread in its entirety, you will see that this question has been asked and answered.

There are workarounds for now, albeit not great ones:

1) Don't upgrade to DSM 7.0 - I don't think this is sustainable long term
2) Upgrade to DSM 7.0 and run Serviio in a Docker container - This takes some knowledge and effort to setup

Even with those two workarounds, that still doesn't solve for the fact that the Synology package is still on version 2.1. Personally, there were a few changes made in 2.2 that I would like to have (support for 8 digit IMDB ID's, themoviedb.org metadata), but I'm still stuck with version 2.1.
<<

maddancer

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:12 pm

<<

Sargon

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:18 pm

maddancer wrote:Hi, I'm running Servio 2.2.1 in Docker without any problems. I'm using Soerentsch build:

Why does 2.2.1 not appear here? https://serviio.org/download

Is there somewhere else I should be looking?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:09 pm

The Serviio developer does not provide the NAS versions, they are updated by someone else. For Synology devices, 2.1 is the most recent version. I don't know if they took the QNAS 2.2.1 version and installed it. He mentioned something about a Soerentsch build. I don't know if that's a Serviio port, or something for the NAS OS.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

maddancer

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:52 am

It's docker linux version, not native Synology build. But if you have an Synology NAS with ability to run Docker, you may run docker version of Serviio. Installation t's just little bit complicated for intermediate user than just installation of standard Synology package. Just install Docker package, then in docker download soerentsch/serviio image and install it. Then you must set mount path to volume and it's done. Last step - go to http://<ip addres of NAS>:23423 in web browser and go change settings of Serviio itself.
PreviousNext

Return to NAS installation