FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Synology DSM 7.0

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:33 am

Re: Synology DSM 7.0

maddancer wrote:It's docker linux version, not native Synology build. But if you have an Synology NAS with ability to run Docker, you may run docker version of Serviio. Installation t's just little bit complicated for intermediate user than just installation of standard Synology package. Just install Docker package, then in docker download soerentsch/serviio image and install it. Then you must set mount path to volume and it's done. Last step - go to http://<ip addres of NAS>:23423 in web browser and go change settings of Serviio itself.

You should put together a YouTube video to show the process from start to finish....I think it comes down to.....once you upgrade Synology, you better have a way forward or else Serviio just won't work....and for people to actually see it running and the method it took to get it there would put people's mind at ease.

It is a high risk for those that need Serviio and are unclear on exactly how to implement it in Docker.
<<

Sargon

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:17 pm

kittmaster wrote:
maddancer wrote:It's docker linux version, not native Synology build. But if you have an Synology NAS with ability to run Docker, you may run docker version of Serviio. Installation t's just little bit complicated for intermediate user than just installation of standard Synology package. Just install Docker package, then in docker download soerentsch/serviio image and install it. Then you must set mount path to volume and it's done. Last step - go to http://<ip addres of NAS>:23423 in web browser and go change settings of Serviio itself.

You should put together a YouTube video to show the process from start to finish....I think it comes down to.....once you upgrade Synology, you better have a way forward or else Serviio just won't work....and for people to actually see it running and the method it took to get it there would put people's mind at ease.

It is a high risk for those that need Serviio and are unclear on exactly how to implement it in Docker.

I agree that a video or detailed step-by-step guide would be great. I would be happy to get away from the Synology DSM version of Serviio and be able to run the more current Linux versions. I may test it out, although I have very minimal experience with Docker.

In response to the last post, I think the risk of updating can be mitigated by not upgrading to Synology DSM 7 until you verify that the Docker instance is working. Once you have Serviio confirmed working in the Docker container, THEN you should be able to upgrade to DSM 7. Please correct me if I am wrong with that assumption. Is there anything else that would need to be done with the container after upgrading from DSM 6 to DSM 7, or would it just work (isn't that the purpose of containers to begin with)?
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:19 pm

Sargon wrote:
kittmaster wrote:

I agree that a video or detailed step-by-step guide would be great. I would be happy to get away from the Synology DSM version of Serviio and be able to run the more current Linux versions. I may test it out, although I have very minimal experience with Docker.

In response to the last post, I think the risk of updating can be mitigated by not upgrading to Synology DSM 7 until you verify that the Docker instance is working. Once you have Serviio confirmed working in the Docker container, THEN you should be able to upgrade to DSM 7. Please correct me if I am wrong with that assumption. Is there anything else that would need to be done with the container after upgrading from DSM 6 to DSM 7, or would it just work (isn't that the purpose of containers to begin with)?

Well that is the problem, usually upgrades don't affect installed apps....in this case...it breaks serviio directly. I don't know how the ROOT user is dealt with in the Docker environment from DSM6 to DSM7......and mind you, it's a one way trip.....there are hacks to get 7 back to 6.....but what a mess that makes.....and then the risk to any data on the drives that goes with it.

So in my humble opinion, for me personally, this is a non starter and I'll just live with DSM6 until some miracle comes along to resolve the mess Synology has created.
<<

MikeFuLLPower

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 08, 2022 12:39 pm

maddancer wrote:Hi, I'm running Servio 2.2.1 in Docker without any problems. I'm using Soerentsch build:

https://hub.docker.com/r/soerentsch/serviio
https://github.com/soerentsch/docker-serviio
https://githubhot.com/repo/riftbit/dock ... /issues/25

Hey,
i´ve tried this one but cant get it to work properly.

Code:
date   stream   content
2022-05-08T12:34:04.631574649Z   stdout   An unexpected error occurred. Ending the application. Message: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles definition is not present.. Check serviio.log for more details.
2022-05-08T12:34:04.631538746Z   stdout   ... 2 more
2022-05-08T12:34:04.631505028Z   stdout   at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.parseProfilesFromFile(ProfileManager.java:184) ~[serviio.jar:?]
2022-05-08T12:34:04.631468151Z   stdout   at org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionParser.parseDefinition(ProfilesDefinitionParser.java:148) ~[serviio.jar:?]
2022-05-08T12:34:04.631432676Z   stdout   Caused by: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles definition is not present.
2022-05-08T12:34:04.631397625Z   stdout   at org.serviio.MediaServer.main(MediaServer.java:137) [serviio.jar:?]
2022-05-08T12:34:04.631357596Z   stdout   at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.loadProfiles(ProfileManager.java:158) ~[serviio.jar:?]
2022-05-08T12:34:04.631314932Z   stdout   at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.parseProfilesFromFile(ProfileManager.java:186) ~[serviio.jar:?]
2022-05-08T12:34:04.631196468Z   stdout   java.lang.RuntimeException: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles definition is not present.
2022-05-08T12:34:04.630738007Z   stdout   12:34:04.614 [main] ERROR org.serviio.MediaServer - An unexpected error occurred. Ending the application. Message: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles definition is not present.
2022-05-08T12:34:02.680485374Z   stdout   tail: no files
2022-05-08T12:34:02.679841984Z   stdout   tail: can't open '/opt/serviio/log/serviio.log': No such file or directory
2022-05-08T12:33:59.560682605Z   stdout   An unexpected error occurred. Ending the application. Message: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles definition is not present.. Check serviio.log for more details.
2022-05-08T12:33:59.560362173Z   stdout   ... 2 more
2022-05-08T12:33:59.560327625Z   stdout   at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.parseProfilesFromFile(ProfileManager.java:184) ~[serviio.jar:?]
2022-05-08T12:33:59.560288329Z   stdout   at org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionParser.parseDefinition(ProfilesDefinitionParser.java:148) ~[serviio.jar:?]
2022-05-08T12:33:59.560252535Z   stdout   Caused by: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles definition is not present.
2022-05-08T12:33:59.560208401Z   stdout   at org.serviio.MediaServer.main(MediaServer.java:137) [serviio.jar:?]
2022-05-08T12:33:59.560172933Z   stdout   at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.loadProfiles(ProfileManager.java:158) ~[serviio.jar:?]
2022-05-08T12:33:59.560133154Z   stdout   at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.parseProfilesFromFile(ProfileManager.java:186) ~[serviio.jar:?]
2022-05-08T12:33:59.560083994Z   stdout   java.lang.RuntimeException: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles definition is not present.
2022-05-08T12:33:59.559673865Z   stdout   12:33:59.542 [main] ERROR org.serviio.MediaServer - An unexpected error occurred. Ending the application. Message: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles definition is not present.
2022-05-08T12:33:57.630136616Z   stdout   tail: no files
2022-05-08T12:33:57.629562791Z   stdout   tail: can't open '/opt/serviio/log/serviio.log': No such file or directory

Volume Mappings
https://www.directupload.net/file/d/654 ... d3_png.htm

Im using the latest version of serviio docker image.

any suggestions ?
<<

soerentsch

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:24 am

Hi MikeFuLLPower,

please check this Thread: https://github.com/riftbit/docker-serviio/issues/30

the mapped paths are empty (no log file, no config file, etc.).
The easiest way to start with the Serviio-Container is: mapp only the media path and optional the /etc/localtime (if there an issue).
Mapp the ports 1900/udp, 8895/tcp, 23423/tcp and use --net=host.

if you mapp optional the other volumes, use
  Code:
docker cp
to copy files from the docker container to your host paths.

More infos to the docker cli: https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/cp/

Kind regards
Soeren
<<

Acetone

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:13 pm

I had a docker version running perfectly in DSM 6, but after upgrading to DSM 7.1 it no longer works, I just cant open the console at myip:23423/console/#/app/welcome

Any help would be most welcome

thanks
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:58 pm

Hello everybody,

is there a step by step guide anywhre to get serviio running in docker on DSM 7? I installed docker an downloaded an startet soerentsch/serviio:latest (Serviio 2.3) but don't what to do next. :(

Thanks.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:42 pm

SpaceRex on YouTube is kind of a GoofBall but is extremely knowledgeable about Synology and a lot of the ins and outs.

Start here and see if this can help get you at least started with getting Docker installed and then see if it gives you the baseline to install the 2.3 you've mentioned (which I've also seen out there).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0qGNgmCIGw

See if that helps.
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:36 pm

Hello kittmaster, thanks for your yuick reply.

I already watched this video for getting started with docker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMhZoUs7uw

I downloaded the soerentsch/serviio:latest image and startet it. In configuration dialogue I created two new folders on the syno in the shared folder "docker":
- docker\serviio\config
- docker\serviio\media
As mount path I typed: /media and /config.

I understood that the serviio console now should be accasable with http://Syno-IP:LocalPortFor23423 --> http://192.168.1.10:49156
But when trying to open this URL I get the following satus page message:
Not Found

The server has not found anything matching the request URI

You can get technical details here.
Please continue your visit at our home page.
<<

Charles Francis H.

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:15 pm

It is running now 8-)

The "The server has not found anything matching the request URI" was because of missing "/console" behind address: http://192.168.1.10:49156/console.

But that wasn't the only error:

1. The Image stopped running after some seconds. --> Found on some htread here in forum that the mounted volume "/opt/serviio/config" neede to be deleted.
2. After deleting "config", got log-entry "tail: can't open '/opt/serviio/log/serviio.log': No such file or directory" and a user in this thread said "check permissions" so I changed permissions to whole shared folder "docker" for read AND write for everybody.

Now it works - I can access the console. It works but I am not so happy with R/W permissions for user "everybody". Does anybody now how I can avoid that? I am logged in as admin user but this did not help.

EDIT: I Found out that Media Station and Video Station (and maybe more Apps) are using port 1900, too. And both apps were installed on my NAS so I uninstalled them and then I could change the local port from "autmatically" to 1900 without warning. But when trying to start the container now, it says "Docker API fails. More information in docker protocol" and in the protocol I find the following lines:
Exception in thread "Thread-25" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at org.serviio.MediaServer$ShutdownHook.run(MediaServer.java:370)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Shutdown in progress

at java.lang.ApplicationShutdownHooks.add(ApplicationShutdownHooks.java:66)

at java.lang.Runtime.addShutdownHook(Runtime.java:203)

at org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.CompositeCacheManager.initialize(CompositeCacheManager.java:253)

at org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.CompositeCacheManager.getInstance(CompositeCacheManager.java:185)

at org.apache.commons.jcs.engine.control.CompositeCacheManager.getInstance(CompositeCacheManager.java:161)

at org.apache.commons.jcs.JCS.getCacheManager(JCS.java:172)

at org.apache.commons.jcs.JCS.getInstance(JCS.java:190)

at org.serviio.cache.AbstractCacheDecorator.<init>(AbstractCacheDecorator.java:39)

at org.serviio.upnp.service.contentdirectory.rest.resources.server.TokenCache.<init>(TokenCache.java:22)

at org.serviio.upnp.service.contentdirectory.rest.resources.server.LoginServerResource.<clinit>(LoginServerResource.java:37)

... 1 more

2024-02-05T21:50:42,499 INFO [LibraryOneTimeScanner] Interrupting library scan

--->>> Does anybody have any idea what that means?

Too late for now, will try and test next days. Someone here wrote that he used the second LAN adapter, I think I will try this, too, becaus maybe I want to run Serviio and Media Server and/or Video Station parallel and that seems to be a conflict with docker (it wasn't with the dedicated Serviio App for DSM 6).

EDIT ONE DAY LATER: Did not realize that I need to bind the container to host network but I have choosen brideg mode.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:47 pm

Hi all, Zip has asked me to have a look at this. However, I don't want to jeopardise my own NAS by installing DSM 7.0. So I thought I would try to install XPEnology in a VirtualBox VM to at least check that my existing builds of FFmpeg continue to work ok. I suspect they won't because they were dynamically linked to DSM Linux libraries wherever possible (to save RAM and my own hosting costs). Anyhow, I've spent a few hours trying to even install XPEnology and got nowhere. No matter which model I try (device tree or SATA map methods), or whichever type of virtual disk controller I choose I cannot get past "No drives detected" in the DSM setup. It boots, but no disks.

Serviio could easily cope with the DSM 7.0 requirement not to run as root (my package used to be like this many versions ago in fact) but many users forgot to explicitly grant the serviio user access to their media folders, and most other Synology packages were using root so I figured it was just easier. However, I cannot build the FFmpeg binaries, with the various options and add-ins which were required for Serviio, while Synology continues to violate the terms of the GPL licences that all of their products and intellectual property is built upon. Their failure to publish the sources used for DSM means I am disinclined to contribute to their product ecosystem. With this conduct, Synology is not deserving of my effort as a package developer. I am sorry if you are disappointed. But it's not just the demotivation - I need to understand which versions of the libraries they used so I can get the headers for linking. I just cannot compile FFmpeg without those.

It's sad that once-cheap online streaming services and a glory-period of amazing codec support from devices such as LG OLED TVs had diminished the need for a product like Serviio in recent times. However those days are over - Netflix costs well over double the price I signed up at, has far less appealing content, and device codec support seems to be getting neutered a lot. I for one have cancelled Netflix and Disney. Home media servers are in demand once again. Shame Synology can't abide by a software licence.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:47 pm

patters wrote:Hi all, Zip has asked me to have a look at this. However, I don't want to jeopardise my own NAS by installing DSM 7.0. So I thought I would try to install XPEnology in a VirtualBox VM to at least check that my existing builds of FFmpeg continue to work ok. I suspect they won't because they were dynamically linked to DSM Linux libraries wherever possible (to save RAM and my own hosting costs). Anyhow, I've spent a few hours trying to even install XPEnology and got nowhere. No matter which model I try (device tree or SATA map methods), or whichever type of virtual disk controller I choose I cannot get past "No drives detected" in the DSM setup. It boots, but no disks.

Serviio could easily cope with the DSM 7.0 requirement not to run as root (my package used to be like this many versions ago in fact) but many users forgot to explicitly grant the serviio user access to their media folders, and most other Synology packages were using root so I figured it was just easier. However, I cannot build the FFmpeg binaries, with the various options and add-ins which were required for Serviio, while Synology continues to violate the terms of the GPL licences that all of their products and intellectual property is built upon. Their failure to publish the sources used for DSM means I am disinclined to contribute to their product ecosystem. With this conduct, Synology is not deserving of my effort as a package developer. I am sorry if you are disappointed. But it's not just the demotivation - I need to understand which versions of the libraries they used so I can get the headers for linking. I just cannot compile FFmpeg without those.

It's sad that once-cheap online streaming services and a glory-period of amazing codec support from devices such as LG OLED TVs had diminished the need for a product like Serviio in recent times. However those days are over - Netflix costs well over double the price I signed up at, has far less appealing content, and device codec support seems to be getting neutered a lot. I for one have cancelled Netflix and Disney. Home media servers are in demand once again. Shame Synology can't abide by a software licence.

I had to step back because it was super frustrating try to get it going. I have created a VM for the dev side (not a Linux user) and the end user side (No way am I updating to 7 unless I'm sure) and that has been fruitful for testing and trying to build.

The short answer to it all is to have a new Serviio user with install and access permissions, and then rewrite the scripts to the Serviio user. The problem is getting the JDK11 and the remap of any and all missing globals like JAVE_HOME and god knows what else since that is no longer valid in DSM11, or shall I say, allowed because Root is needed for access.

On top of all that mess, I had other projects looming and those needed attention. Still have a few months get this working before V6 is out in the cold..... and therein lies the problem, who is going to keep running an insecure system as time marches on... that is just tomfoolery to do so.

Hopefully at least a basic framework can be created and at least get off of v6.

I'm of the opinion Synology can burn also, but the real focus here is getting off a system that is no longer supported licenses be damned. Yes they suck, but we have folks here that need our help or this goes away which in the big picture of life is a 1st world problem, nonetheless, we need to find a way to move this forward if we can.

Greetz,
Chris
Previous

Return to NAS installation