FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PACKAGE: Synology NAS - Serviio 2.1 Installer ***BETA***

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:01 pm

PACKAGE: Synology NAS - Serviio 2.1 Installer ***BETA***

Thread Build Status: 100%

This thread is for SYNOLOGY NAS installations only!

Let's start with the warnings up front:

-- As of this writing 1/24/2021, it does NOT work on DSM 7.0 (Yet...there is NO timeline due to the technical issues at hand) -> 3rd party apps can not run as ROOT in DSM 7, we are working on it, so stay tuned!
-- Upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1 will trigger an entire database rescan, if you have a large database like mine (100K+ Movies/Photos/Audio) it took 14 hours to complete.
-- Search results are totally lost in Mediabrowser (DLNA seems ok) for some reason, after a force rescan and the 14 hours later, all search results returned as if nothing ever happened....2.1 Derby update is the guess.
-- Support will be between myself and a dev that has graciously collaborated with me to get this going. Their work has been 100% free, so any issues will take time to correct.
-- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Don't come crying that your database was blah blah blah.....we are working to avoid any of that and proven it works without corruption, but there is no way we can guarantee anything...YMMV.
-- I am not a Linux guy, the dev is, but the dev doesn't use Serviio....so we are a symbiotic pair to get this working for all, please have some understanding of this, help us help you.
-- Report any issues in this forum thread, the author of 2.0 release has been unavailable to any inquiries and don't believe there will be any support there, so all links for help revert to this thread.

Notes for the installation:

-- If you're installing for the first time, be sure that you have Java 8 SE embedded installed before installing Serviio via the package center.
-- Previously you had to put a "link" to have your NAS download and install, this method will use the "manual install" as we will provide the installer file for you (Attached zip file below).
-- There are NO Serviio source files in this package, what happens is that the installer downloads the Serviio files DIRECTLY from Serviio's server release page for the installation, the script executes a proper Synology installation for both the app and all the uninstaller features.
-- Your existing database will remain and not be lost, but will be rescanned for whatever new parameters 2.1 brings.
-- Report all issues in this thread.
-- Any changes made to config, .jar, or option files will be overwritten by the INSTALLER that Serviio provides, this is not something we can stop, make backups of your modifications if any are present.

Installation:

The file is called Serviio-2.1-Rev1.spk (will be up-revised as it evolves) that is attached to this 1st post. Download it to your computer/NAS. UNZIP the file FIRST to reveal the .spk file. Go into the package center and at the top click "manual install". Select Serviio-2.1-Rev1.spk and let Synology run through its installation process.

Follow all prompts to install the package.

When complete, you'll have to pull the Serviio Console Icon from the "Synology Start Star" if it isn't already on your "desktop".

Click on the Serviio Console Icon and you will be greeted with the Serviio Admin area.

Installation is complete.

Issues that we initially discovered:

-- Task manager icon was missing - Corrected
-- Licensing reverts back to EVAL, you'll need to upload your 2.0 license accordingly
-- The 14 hour thing was unique to MY installation, if your library is a few hundred files, it shouldn't take long to update

Please provide feedback both good or bad, what worked, what didn't, did the instructions flow correctly, missing steps.......anything will be useful.

Final thoughts:

I want/get nothing from this but satisfaction and the latest and greatest Serviio solution on my NAS, but I think if in the end this works for you that a token donation to the dev for taking the time to help us.....perfect strangers....for the efforts of keeping this branch of Serviio on a NAS a viable solution.

If you feel you want to donate, I will provide their information. Post here or private message me.

Enjoy & Greetz,
Chris

02/212/2021: User issues feedback listed.

1. Current version of Serviio shown in package manager greater than online version. Known issue in Rev1 installer (Under review)
2. Single report of missing UI desktop icon and can't be created, only one user reported issue. Rev1 issue (Under review)
Attachments
Serviio-2.1-Rev1.zip
Serviio 2.1 NAS Installer Rev 1
(144.97 KiB) Downloaded 1203 times
Last edited by kittmaster on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
<<

Acetone

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:38 pm

Re: PACKAGE: Synology NAS - Serviio 2.1 Installer ***BETA***

Many thanks for this

I used it to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 and a couple of notes
It did not seem to do a rescan, as all my files (32297 audio/ 403 video) where available instantly to my DLNA player and on my TV
I don't use the mediabrowser normally, but just to check, I find quite a few things are missing at this point, like recently added, or any movies, yet the Actors category is full, Maybe there is a rescan for the mediabrowers but not DLNA
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:25 pm

Acetone wrote:Many thanks for this

It did not seem to do a rescan, as all my files (32297 audio/ 403 video) where available instantly to my DLNA player and on my TV
I don't use the mediabrowser normally, but just to check, I find quite a few things are missing at this point, like recently added, or any movies, yet the Actors category is full, Maybe there is a rescan for the mediabrowers but not DLNA

Excellent, thanks for the feedback. I don't use DLNA much anymore only because of the low res thumbnails. I use firesticks and web browsers mostly. You saw as I did, missing items, but eventually the scan occurs or you can force a rescan and it will go through it all and find everything again.

The one question for you, within the package installer area, the icon is showing "Beta" as a ribbon yes??

Thanks for the feedback.

:mrgreen:
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:40 pm

FYI: icon resolution can be changed. My icons are all much higher resolution than the default DLNA standard. It's a system properties setting. https://www.serviio.org/index.php?optio ... icle&id=43
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Acetone

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:42 pm

Yes it has the "Beta" ribbon

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 18.41.03.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 18.41.03.jpeg (53.76 KiB) Viewed 27822 times
<<

Acetone

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:46 pm

atc98092 wrote:FYI: icon resolution can be changed. My icons are all much higher resolution than the default DLNA standard. It's a system properties setting. https://www.serviio.org/index.php?optio ... icle&id=43

I just don't know where to find the serviio.sh on my Nas setup.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:56 pm

Acetone wrote:
atc98092 wrote:FYI: icon resolution can be changed. My icons are all much higher resolution than the default DLNA standard. It's a system properties setting. https://www.serviio.org/index.php?optio ... icle&id=43

I just don't know where to find the serviio.sh on my Nas setup.

You can find it here:

/volume1/@appstore/Serviio/bin/serviio.sh
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:57 pm

Acetone wrote:Yes it has the "Beta" ribbon

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 18.41.03.jpeg

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation.

Chris
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:00 pm

Acetone wrote:Many thanks for this

I added your observation as a blurb in my 1st post. If they read the thread, they will see your reference to it. TY.

Chris
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:09 pm

My thumbs are 960x1440 for all images.....they just look horrible via a DNLA even with rendered higher resolution active. I use Serviio as the media server and Vimu on Firestick 4k to do all of the media client duties. I also use Kodi in my trailer when there Serviio is unavailable because it can parse a SMB drive via my local router with a USB drive attached.....using the Serviio file structures.....one repository for multiple devices and system architectures ..... :)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:54 pm

That sounds like your icons are not being rendered in HD. You have to make two changes. One is the system properties setting I linked (serviio.hdThumbnailResolution). In Serviio 2.x it is now set in a user.vmoptions file in the config folder. I have mine set to -Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=1000

The other change requires a edit to the profile you're using. The generic profile is set to: <ThumbnailsResolution>DLNA</ThumbnailsResolution>. Many profiles either repeat this line or omit it completely, so the generic line is inherited. Instead, the line needs to read <ThumbnailsResolution>HD</ThumbnailsResolution>. If this change isn't made, thumbnails do not use the resolution setting in the vmoptions file.

With both of those set my icon images look sharp and crisp. That's using MediaBrowser, my Roku players, or Kodi on my Shield players.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Nenny

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:43 pm

Greetings :) First post here, long time Serviio user, first on my PC and then on my Synology NAS.

I recently reinstalled my NAS and had to reinstall Serviio too, this time with the 2.1 version instead of 2.0

The installation went without any issues, but i however do not have any "shortcut" to serviio in the "Start Menu" or on desktop - Is there a way to re-create it? Based on the initial post it should be there as im reading it?

As always, great work with the package, and very nice with the tip "You must install Java8 before installing this package" in Package center, but it could be even more precise by adding the word Embedded, since Synology also has their Java8 package, its a really minor thing but hey, just a suggestion :)
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:03 am

Nenny wrote:Greetings :) First post here, long time Serviio user, first on my PC and then on my Synology NAS.

I recently reinstalled my NAS and had to reinstall Serviio too, this time with the 2.1 version instead of 2.0

The installation went without any issues, but i however do not have any "shortcut" to serviio in the "Start Menu" or on desktop - Is there a way to re-create it? Based on the initial post it should be there as im reading it?

As always, great work with the package, and very nice with the tip "You must install Java8 before installing this package" in Package center, but it could be even more precise by adding the word Embedded, since Synology also has their Java8 package, its a really minor thing but hey, just a suggestion :)

Thanks for the feedback. I did re-read my post and it states "Java 8 SE embedded".....this is what your describing yes?

As far as the icon, I'll have the dev take a look, I can't mess my install as it takes a long time to recover.

Question, if you put in the admin console link, does the admin panel show up?
<<

Nenny

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:26 am

kittmaster wrote:
Nenny wrote:Greetings :) First post here, long time Serviio user, first on my PC and then on my Synology NAS.

Thanks for the feedback. I did re-read my post and it states "Java 8 SE embedded".....this is what your describing yes?

As far as the icon, I'll have the dev take a look, I can't mess my install as it takes a long time to recover.

Question, if you put in the admin console link, does the admin panel show up?

Hi and thanks for your reply :)

In regards to the Java 8 tip.. I dont mean in the post here, but rather in the Synology Package center, if you try to install it without having Java 8 Embedded installed, you will get a "You must install Java8 before installing this package" notification from the Package center itself, and the package will not install, not even sure if this tip is created by you guys or if its a standard synology check thing.

I naively just installed the Synology Java8 package and still got the same warning, uninstalled it and installed the Embedded one, and it was working.

So it's just the notification from the package center.

And yes, everything appears to be working as it should (It's currently indexing my files again) so i can access the console via the :23423/console link, but just for my own OCD, i would like the "desktop" icon in DSM :)

Oh one last thing, i noticed that the version attached to this topic was version 0.14 or 0.24 (Cant remember exactly now) and the latest version package center will update to is 0.28, maybe the attached file could be updated as well :) Not trying to be nitpicky here, just suggestions on making it even easier for new users :)

Best regards
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm

I do see the Version conflicts here, we will have to look into the resolution to that.

The installer directly pulls down the 2.1 build from Serviios site, I think it has to due with the installation scripts fields of the package builder. Should be a relatively easy fix, will need some time to sort out where that change needs to be made.

As far as the Java, yes, I understand that it is in the package manager, not in this forum.....I was responding that in my original post, I mentioned be sure Java 8 embedded is installed before Serviio on your NAS.

:)
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:15 pm

Nenny wrote:
kittmaster wrote:
Nenny wrote:And yes, everything appears to be working as it should (It's currently indexing my files again) so i can access the console via the :23423/console link, but just for my own OCD, i would like the "desktop" icon in DSM :)

I spoke to the Dev this weekend, here is their response to your inquiry about the missing desktop icon, pasted from email verbatim:

Regarding the user who has no icon in his DSM Menu. As I did install Serviio on a brand new DSM, I confirm that I see it.
But this is a common issue… He has to clean his cache, then refresh the page CTRL-F5, etc…

Not sure if you tried this...please report back.

Chris
<<

Nenny

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:33 pm

kittmaster wrote:
Nenny wrote:And yes, everything appears to be working as it should (It's currently indexing my files again) so i can access the console via the :23423/console link, but just for my own OCD, i would like the "desktop" icon in DSM :)

I spoke to the Dev this weekend, here is their response to your inquiry about the missing desktop icon, pasted from email verbatim:

Regarding the user who has no icon in his DSM Menu. As I did install Serviio on a brand new DSM, I confirm that I see it.
But this is a common issue… He has to clean his cache, then refresh the page CTRL-F5, etc…

Not sure if you tried this...please report back.

Chris

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, I didnt think this was the issue but just to make sure I went ahead and cleared all browser cache and tried again, same result.. Tried a different browser which has never accessed the NAS before with no result.

I then tried playing around a bit, on Synology NAS'es "shortcuts" are handled in the folder /usr/syno/synoman/webman/3rdparty and in Serviio's case with a symlink for Serviio pointing to /var/packages/Serviio/target/ui

This symlink was present and everything appeared as it should, but still no icon in the menu.

I tried copying the UI folder from /var/packages/serviio/target to /usr/syno/synoman/webman/3rdparty and then rebooting, this made an "new" "icon" available:

(Notice that i named the newly copied one as UI Test to easily spot it, if both appeared) but as you see, the icon files were not rendered correctly.

So not entirely sure whats going on - But status is that the original one does not appear, but i can copy it to the folder and make the new one appear - although not correctly.

I appreciate your help and efforts so far :)
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:37 am

OK noted. The Dev is on holiday all next week, so I'll pass it along to see if we can sort it out.

I'll do a main post update as sort of an error report.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:29 am

I was looking into the UI issue on the icon. Look on your NAS, use the image.....do you have the images shown in the path shown?

More importantly, in the folder ABOVE that.....is a CONFIG file.....does yours look like mine?

http://www.kittmaster.com/imagedump/serviio/UI%20Console.png
<<

Nenny

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:31 pm

kittmaster wrote:I was looking into the UI issue on the icon. Look on your NAS, use the image.....do you have the images shown in the path shown?

More importantly, in the folder ABOVE that.....is a CONFIG file.....does yours look like mine?

http://www.kittmaster.com/imagedump/serviio/UI%20Console.png

Yep identical to whats on mine :) Im tempted to try and uninstall it and install it again and see if the problem persists.

Will i need to get a new license file if i take that route?
Next

Return to NAS installation