FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PACKAGE: Synology NAS - Serviio 2.1 Installer ***BETA***

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:33 pm

Re: PACKAGE: Synology NAS - Serviio 2.1 Installer ***BETA***

If you have a valid license, you can uninstall and reinstall it as much as you like. You just have to upload it as if it were a new installation as the uninstaller removes all traces of registration.

Let me know if that solves your issue....although you'll need to rebuild your database.....which doesn't sound like fun to me.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:47 pm

Hi all. I'm back after a long absence. I just released version 2.1 on my package repository, built the same way as before.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

Nenny

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:12 pm

kittmaster wrote:If you have a valid license, you can uninstall and reinstall it as much as you like. You just have to upload it as if it were a new installation as the uninstaller removes all traces of registration.

Let me know if that solves your issue....although you'll need to rebuild your database.....which doesn't sound like fun to me.

The latest update seems to have fixed the issue on its own :)
<<

ilion

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi,
I had version 2.0 running without issues for several months. Then I updated the package source from http to https and started the update command in package center. First it stopped asking for dejavu-fonts-ttf-2.37.tar.bz2 package that I uploaded to the public share.
Now I am getting an error "port 23423 configured for this package is either used by another service or reserved for system use..." I rebooted the NAS but I am still getting the error. Version 2.0 is gone and netstat -tulpn does not show any service running on that port. How can I fix this?
Thanks
<<

ilion

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:17 pm

I found the solution. I had to delete /usr/local/etc/services.d/Serviio.sc and now the installation is running. May have been a left over from first installation attempt that stopped because of the missing fonts.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:24 pm

Thx for the update, patters also released an update...I will continue to work on this.
<<

seiriostg

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:02 am

Nenny wrote:
kittmaster wrote:
Nenny wrote:Greetings :) First post here, long time Serviio user, first on my PC and then on my Synology NAS.

I recently reinstalled my NAS and had to reinstall Serviio too, this time with the 2.1 version instead of 2.0

The installation went without any issues, but i however do not have any "shortcut" to serviio in the "Start Menu" or on desktop - Is there a way to re-create it? Based on the initial post it should be there as im reading it?

As always, great work with the package, and very nice with the tip "You must install Java8 before installing this package" in Package center, but it could be even more precise by adding the word Embedded, since Synology also has their Java8 package, its a really minor thing but hey, just a suggestion :)

Thanks for the feedback. I did re-read my post and it states "Java 8 SE embedded".....this is what your describing yes?

As far as the icon, I'll have the dev take a look, I can't mess my install as it takes a long time to recover.

Question, if you put in the admin console link, does the admin panel show up?

Hi and thanks for your reply :)

In regards to the Java 8 tip.. I dont mean in the post here, but rather in the Synology Package center, if you try to install it without having Java 8 Embedded installed, you will get a "You must install Java8 before installing this package" notification from the Package center itself, and the package will not install, not even sure if this tip is created by you guys or if its a standard synology check thing.

I naively just installed the Synology Java8 package and still got the same warning, uninstalled it and installed the Embedded one, and it was working.

So it's just the notification from the package center.

And yes, everything appears to be working as it should (It's currently indexing my files again) so i can access the console via the :23423/console link, but just for my own OCD, i would like the "desktop" icon in DSM :)

Oh one last thing, i noticed that the version attached to this topic was version 0.14 or 0.24 (Cant remember exactly now) and the latest version package center will update to is 0.28, maybe the attached file could be updated as well :) Not trying to be nitpicky here, just suggestions on making it even easier for new users :)

Best regards

What can we do if the java SE embedded doesn't appear in the repository (It doesn't support my model yet, I have DS920+)???
I can see serviio in the repository, but unfortunately if I won't install java 8 first, I get the same notification from the package center.
Any idea anyone??
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:53 am

seiriostg wrote:What can we do if the java SE embedded doesn't appear in the repository (It doesn't support my model yet, I have DS920+)???
I can see serviio in the repository, but unfortunately if I won't install java 8 first, I get the same notification from the package center.
Any idea anyone??

These are the land mines that I've been warning against all along, but fortunately patters as returned and updated.

The issue you have here is something I ran into, the java you need doesn't show up in the repository and has to be installed manually.

I only had to do it one, but the .spk version of the file has to be put in the PUBLIC folder that is created on your NAS and then in stalled MANUALLY.

So I've attached the file to this post. UNZIP IT FIRST.....then place the .spk file in the PUBLIC folder on your NAS......access the Synology admin area......go to file station......and double click to start the java.spk installer from the PUBLIC folder.

That should solve your issue.

Let me know how that goes as soon as you finish so we can have a confirmation data point.

EDIT: This forum is so stupid....can't attach the file of any extension to help SUPPORT you....you'll have to trust my link then because the dumb forum won't let me attach it here.

http://kittmaster.com/imagedump/serviio ... 4-0050.zip

Best,
Chris
<<

seiriostg

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:43 pm

kittmaster wrote:
seiriostg wrote:What can we do if the java SE embedded doesn't appear in the repository (It doesn't support my model yet, I have DS920+)???
Any idea anyone??

These are the land mines that I've been warning against all along, but fortunately patters as returned and updated.

The issue you have here is something I ran into, the java you need doesn't show up in the repository and has to be installed manually.

I only had to do it one, but the .spk version of the file has to be put in the PUBLIC folder that is created on your NAS and then in stalled MANUALLY.

So I've attached the file to this post. UNZIP IT FIRST.....then place the .spk file in the PUBLIC folder on your NAS......access the Synology admin area......go to file station......and double click to start the java.spk installer from the PUBLIC folder.

That should solve your issue.

Let me know how that goes as soon as you finish so we can have a confirmation data point.

EDIT: This forum is so stupid....can't attach the file of any extension to help SUPPORT you....you'll have to trust my link then because the dumb forum won't let me attach it here.

http://kittmaster.com/imagedump/serviio ... 4-0050.zip

Best,
Chris

Thanks a lot for your help Chris, I've just downloaded the .zip file, I decompressed the .spk file into the public folder of my NAS and I double clicked on that in file station (with administrator privileges), but it only downloaded it in my PC download folder, it didn't seemed that it could be installed that way.
Anyway, I've tried also to manual install it via DSM package center and it gives me the notification that either my NAS platform isn't supported or DSM version isn't supported yet....
I wish I knew what else should I do, any additional help would be appreciated....
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:15 pm

We will have to look into why this is happening, I'm hoping Patters can provide some insight on the matter. I know there are some hardware limitations for transcoding and his version of java is amped up and a lesser footprint.

Question for you, have you ever had Serviio run on your NAS or is this the first time? Also, what DSM are you using?
<<

seiriostg

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:42 am

kittmaster wrote:We will have to look into why this is happening, I'm hoping Patters can provide some insight on the matter. I know there are some hardware limitations for transcoding and his version of java is amped up and a lesser footprint.

Question for you, have you ever had Serviio run on your NAS or is this the first time? Also, what DSM are you using?

Hello again, this is the first time for Serviio on this NAS (I had serviio ver 1.6 on my old NAS and i was very excited with this app, in my opinion far way better than Plex) and I have DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3.
I'm sure you will find a solution and I really thank you once again for your effort!!!!
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:38 pm

seiriostg wrote:
kittmaster wrote:We will have to look into why this is happening, I'm hoping Patters can provide some insight on the matter. I know there are some hardware limitations for transcoding and his version of java is amped up and a lesser footprint.

Hello again, this is the first time for Serviio on this NAS (I had serviio ver 1.6 on my old NAS and i was very excited with this app, in my opinion far way better than Plex) and I have DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3.
I'm sure you will find a solution and I really thank you once again for your effort!!!!

Ok good, don't update to 7.0 as there are issues that are unsolvable right now.

I've contacted Patters to see if he can help provide some insight here and to see if it's a hardware or java issue.

I'll update as soon as I hear back from him.
<<

seiriostg

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:57 pm

kittmaster wrote:
seiriostg wrote:

Ok good, don't update to 7.0 as there are issues that are unsolvable right now.

I've contacted Patters to see if he can help provide some insight here and to see if it's a hardware or java issue.

I'll update as soon as I hear back from him.

Ok, I'll be waiting with patience, thank you very much!
<<

Acetone

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:54 am

If your downloading serviio from patters package repository Java SE Embedded 8 should be available from there.

https://pcloadletter.co.uk/2011/08/23/j ... -synology/
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:05 pm

Acetone wrote:If your downloading serviio from patters package repository Java SE Embedded 8 should be available from there.

All the links to it are dead or access denied....I've sent him PM to see if it can be fixed....while the webpage is still valid, all download links have issues.
<<

seiriostg

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:23 pm

kittmaster wrote:
Acetone wrote:If your downloading serviio from patters package repository Java SE Embedded 8 should be available from there.

All the links to it are dead or access denied....I've sent him PM to see if it can be fixed....while the webpage is still valid, all download links have issues.

Yes I've already tried that before but no luck, it's true all the links are down since then....
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:38 pm

Oracle have retired these JRE 8 versions and re-organised their website. However, if you follow the original links from my blog page (and from the package error messages) you will see at the bottom of that Oracle webpage is an option for "Java SE Embedded Archive Downloads". The file needed by the package can be found there. As was the case all along, you need to sign up for an Oracle account to actually access the downloads. This is why I cannot distribute the files. It's free to get this account though you just need to fill out some information. Doesn't have to be accurate though ;) Well the email address probably does need to be.
https://www.oracle.com/java/technologie ... loads.html
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:16 am

patters wrote:Oracle have retired these JRE 8 versions and re-organised their website. However, if you follow the original links from my blog page (and from the package error messages) you will see at the bottom of that Oracle webpage is an option for "Java SE Embedded Archive Downloads". The file needed by the package can be found there. As was the case all along, you need to sign up for an Oracle account to actually access the downloads. This is why I cannot distribute the files. It's free to get this account though you just need to fill out some information. Doesn't have to be accurate though ;) Well the email address probably does need to be.

Thanks for the update and linkage.....I only did this once when I first set it up and was foggy on how it was done.

I've downloaded all 3 versions to ensure a copy will be around for the long haul....thanks patters for the assist!

Chris
<<

seiriostg

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:05 pm

kittmaster wrote:
patters wrote:Oracle have retired these JRE 8 versions and re-organised their website. However, if you follow the original links from my blog page (and from the package error messages) you will see at the bottom of that Oracle webpage is an option for "Java SE Embedded Archive Downloads". The file needed by the package can be found there. As was the case all along, you need to sign up for an Oracle account to actually access the downloads. This is why I cannot distribute the files. It's free to get this account though you just need to fill out some information. Doesn't have to be accurate though ;) Well the email address probably does need to be.

Thanks for the update and linkage.....I only did this once when I first set it up and was foggy on how it was done.

I've downloaded all 3 versions to ensure a copy will be around for the long haul....thanks patters for the assist!

Chris

Many thanks from me too patters, I've downloaded these 3 versions of 8u211 too and placed them in public folder....
I've tried once again to install manually the .spk you gave me Chris but the same error notification persists as I've wrote above...I still can't think anything else that could solve this problem....I don't know if patters can do his magic things so Java SE package would appear in DSM's Package Center ;)
<<

tmtd

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:10 am

Hi, i considering to buy a Synology NAS (Ds720+ or similar) to use it as a Serviio server. I read in this post and on another places about problem of install JAVA 8 Packages. There are some news? Any users that have a similar problem and solutions?

Thank you
PreviousNext

Return to NAS installation