FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Detaching external HDD

<<

jsrobo

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:18 pm

Detaching external HDD

I'm currently running Serviio Free on a Windows 10 laptop with attached WD My Books/Elements HDD's. Which works very well, I like it very much!

The one issue I have is:

Windows won't let the drive be ejected/detached it says: ''This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and try again''

I have been unable to satisfy this request, I suspect it is Serviio that is stopping it. So how do I do this please.

Thanks in advance John Robinson.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:53 pm

Re: Detaching external HDD

Only one of my media drives is external, so I just tried ejecting it. I also received the "unable" message. If it is Serviio, you can stop the Serviio service using the Services applet. Once the Serviio service is stopped, it's completely non-operational, so if that's the cause it will then be able to be ejected.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

jsrobo

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:13 am

Thanks for reply, I had previously tried just stopping the server from running and it hadn't worked, trying on multiple occasions. For what reason I don't know it has now decided to release the one external attached drive and eject it. My guess is it will refuse again in the future when more than one drive is attached, we will see?
<<

jsrobo

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:05 pm

It has, different HHD behave differently, now none will be released by Win10. I think it must be Windows.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:00 pm

jsrobo wrote:Thanks for reply, I had previously tried just stopping the server from running and it hadn't worked, trying on multiple occasions. For what reason I don't know it has now decided to release the one external attached drive and eject it. My guess is it will refuse again in the future when more than one drive is attached, we will see?

Stopping the server isn't enough. You have to go into the Windows Services applet and stop the Serviio service. Stopping the server with the button in the Serviio console does not stop the service itself, and any connections to the library locations remain active.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to NAS installation