FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Synology NAS (DSM 6.2) - Serviio 2.3 status

<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:17 pm

Synology NAS (DSM 6.2) - Serviio 2.3 status

Hello,

Is there a change that for Synology NAS (DSM 6.2) or even (DSM 7.0) will come out in future Serviio installer 2.3? (I don’t mean "Docker" version)
Or it's not worth to wait?
We have here some great people like "kittmaster" & "patters". Maybe some of them working on new version or somebody else know what to expect about this release?

I haven’t updated my NAS to (DSM 7.0) or maybe we can even expect solution for DSM 7.0?

I know that many of us waiting for it patiently.
At least my fingers are crossed and i hope something, somewhere is going on for new installer and NAS project is not dead completely.
I refuse to believe that it is impossible... That Plex are working on DSM 7.0 and with our Serviio is no way to get to work on DSM 7.0? :roll:

Maybe we, Serviio users can help or support people who working on new Synology NAS version.
<<

red71

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:16 pm

Re: Synology NAS (DSM 6.2) - Serviio 2.3 status

UP.
<<

eutelli

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:08 am

Hi,
I got Serviio 2.1 on DSM 6.23.
At pcloadletter there are no newer versions.
Is there a way to compile packages on my own DSM
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:40 pm

UP.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:32 am

So I came here to see if there was any evolution from Patters and clearly nothing new has evolved, but also with a new warning for Synology users. Most probably have already seen via email, all support for v6.2 is going to end and that will leave your NAS at a security risk.

This also leaves a rotten taste regarding Serviio because clearly without the use of Docker which is way beyond the scope of being able to use Serviio, will edge out Serviio completely as most will have no choice but to upgrade to Version 7 of Synology's OS because you can't just have an unsecure NAS on your network.

That leaves only two solutions:

1. Leave Serviio behind and move to Kodi (As I have due to the more advanced feature sets, skinning, and scalability)
2. Find a way to have ROOT user no longer be required to allow Serviio to operate as it has in the past.

I have all the files to do the job, but the problem here is I don't have Serviio's source code, so there is no way I'm going to try an navigate obfuscated java to try and reconstruct a new user that doesn't require ROOT access to use the program. This falls squarely on Serviio to run as an non-privileged user and requires a code rewrite which I'm sure isn't a trivial task.

So I ask, where shall we go from here? Has anyone heard about a roadmap in my absence? If there is, then I can build and port the files for Synology on v7. I will at some point upgrade to v7 when I'm painted into that corner as once you upgrade, you "technically" can't go back.... well you can.... but it is a PITA.... and my server is live with my entire library on it and I'm not about to risk losing data (lotsa gigs).

What are you guys thinking on going forward? I'll help if I can, the email from Synology is what brought me here to see what the water temp is....

Chris
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:15 pm

kittmaster wrote:So I came here to see if there was any evolution from Patters and clearly nothing new has evolved, but also with a new warning for Synology users. Most probably have already seen via email, all support for v6.2 is going to end and that will leave your NAS at a security risk.

This also leaves a rotten taste regarding Serviio because clearly without the use of Docker which is way beyond the scope of being able to use Serviio, will edge out Serviio completely as most will have no choice but to upgrade to Version 7 of Synology's OS because you can't just have an unsecure NAS on your network.

That leaves only two solutions:

1. Leave Serviio behind and move to Kodi (As I have due to the more advanced feature sets, skinning, and scalability)
2. Find a way to have ROOT user no longer be required to allow Serviio to operate as it has in the past.

I have all the files to do the job, but the problem here is I don't have Serviio's source code, so there is no way I'm going to try an navigate obfuscated java to try and reconstruct a new user that doesn't require ROOT access to use the program. This falls squarely on Serviio to run as an non-privileged user and requires a code rewrite which I'm sure isn't a trivial task.

So I ask, where shall we go from here? Has anyone heard about a roadmap in my absence? If there is, then I can build and port the files for Synology on v7. I will at some point upgrade to v7 when I'm painted into that corner as once you upgrade, you "technically" can't go back.... well you can.... but it is a PITA.... and my server is live with my entire library on it and I'm not about to risk losing data (lotsa gigs).

What are you guys thinking on going forward? I'll help if I can, the email from Synology is what brought me here to see what the water temp is....

Chris

Maybe zip can help out if to wrote him? I am not sure that he have readed this topic or seen this post.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:13 am

To my knowledge, Serviio has always relied on 3rd parties to port it to NAS devices. Zip has finite time in his life to accomplish this sort of thing, and if he doesn't have a NAS device to develop on it's probably not worth his time and effort. I realize how valuable Serviio is for NAS users, but I don't use a NAS so I wouldn't be of any assistance trying to port it either. I tried writing an app for Roku specifically for Serviio, but I quickly determined that I didn't have the knowledge needed for that particular programming language nor did I have the time I could spend on it. And I'm sure that would have required less effort than trying to port Serviio over to run on a NAS.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:20 am

The main problem is serviio runs as a root user... Synology has locked all that down... So it comes down to needing a non root user to make all the changes root can... that lands on Zips doorstep to make those types of fundamental changes to Serviio to allow users to run/operate the program on the NAS the same way they always have. If he can do that, all of this goes away and we can carry on.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:40 am

I wonder why that is, because Serviio does not need admin rights to run on Windows or even Linux. So I really wonder if it's something within Zip's control, or merely the way it was ported over to the NAS.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:01 am

Because with root permissions the program can do anything to the OS if Serviio were ever hacked. With non root permissions...it is essentially sandboxed.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:36 pm

But that's what I mean. Serviio doesn't require "root" permissions on Windows, and I don't believe it does on Linux either. I'm wondering why it's necessary on the NAS ports.
Dan

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:24 pm

It seems that there are a bunch of hoops to run through, it has given Plex and Emby who have teams working on it a bunch of issues and all kinds of script work arounds. I am unclear as to what the final resolution can/will be, but just for grins, have a look at this:

https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... on-dsm-70/

Then click the image on the 2nd post to read further, you will see how much of a shit show it becomes. Synology has really turned the screws in the name of security even though their garbage runs as with root privileges' with a "token" that they of course provide for themselves. I'll have a look at the installer build tool and see if it can rework the install privilege levels, but I really have no way to test it as I'm not on 7 yet and I have other irons in the fire, but it is on a back burner to have a look.
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:06 pm

kittmaster wrote:It seems that there are a bunch of hoops to run through, it has given Plex and Emby who have teams working on it a bunch of issues and all kinds of script work arounds. I am unclear as to what the final resolution can/will be, but just for grins, have a look at this:

Then click the image on the 2nd post to read further, you will see how much of a shit show it becomes. Synology has really turned the screws in the name of security even though their garbage runs as with root privileges' with a "token" that they of course provide for themselves. I'll have a look at the installer build tool and see if it can rework the install privilege levels, but I really have no way to test it as I'm not on 7 yet and I have other irons in the fire, but it is on a back burner to have a look.

I can help you with test on NAS 7.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:09 pm

Meelis wrote:
kittmaster wrote:It seems that there are a bunch of hoops to run through, it has given Plex and Emby who have teams working on it a bunch of issues and all kinds of script work arounds. I am unclear as to what the final resolution can/will be, but just for grins, have a look at this:

I can help you with test on NAS 7.

Well here is your chance.... I needed a diversion and took a look at this to see what I could do with it. The installer has been reassigned to run as system instead of root and it installs correctly on 6.2.3. See the images below. So the question becomes, will it install on 7 natively without docker, I assume this is exactly what you are about to do........ YES??? Please advise.

I have offloaded all dependencies to my local server for now, the old 2.1 and lower all pull from 3 different servers, Serviio for the main installer, Patter's site for the transcoders, and SourceForge for the DejaVu fonts... well that is a recipe for disaster if any one of those go offline. So for now, I consolidated the entire thing to my server just to see if we can get this thing to work... and the old installers are using literal file names anyway, so even if an update occurs, it would still only download older versions or break if the old version is removed... so this new "method" is a seamless way of testing out if this will work as expected before we find a proper way to roll the thing out properly.

I've included FOUR installer files because I do not have the time or inclination to try can create/acquire/deal with Synology to have a package distribution key. So this will require that you do a "manual install" and it will give a warning about a missing digital signature which has no impact on installation, outside of that, it fully installs and operates as I would expect otherwise. The reason for the 4 files is because the .spk if hotlinked from my site will "open" in a browser instead of downloading....so my rationale is ... you can either download the uncompressed version by RIGHT CLICKING ON IT >> SAVE LINK AS >> DOWNLOAD.... or pick one of the 3 compressed options: rar, zip, or 7z, up to you........ ALL OF THE FILES ARE THE SAME.....AND YOU ONLY NEED 1 OF THE 4!

If this doesn't work, moving from one of the 4 to the others will have zero difference as they are ALL THE SAME EXACT FILE....DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME trying to fix something as this is truly an experimental fix to see if we can get this running on DSM7....clear???

Respectfully: Anyone trying this... don't come crying if something goes south, I've done everything I can short of upgrading my system to DMS7 to ensure it installs, uninstalls and nothing breaks... I am not responsible and will not be brow beat if something goes haywire if you decide to try this out... USE AT YOUR OWN RISK..... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Images of it working:

http://www.kittmaster.com/bin/Result1.png
http://www.kittmaster.com/bin/Result2.png

Files (RIGHT CLICK AND USE SAVE AS -- DO NOT DIRECT CLICK OR IT MAY OPEN AND NOT DOWNLOAD!):

http://www.kittmaster.com/bin/Serviio-2.3.spk (invalid file format)
http://www.kittmaster.com/bin/Serviio-2.3.zip (invalid file format)
http://www.kittmaster.com/bin/Serviio-2.3.rar (invalid file format)
http://www.kittmaster.com/bin/Serviio-2.3.7z (invalid file format)

======================================================

Updated v2... fingers crossed

http://www.kittmaster.com/bin/Serviio-2.3-v2.spk (Still running as root)

Updated v3... fingers crossed

http://www.kittmaster.com/bin/Serviio-2.3-v3.spk (Still running as root)

Updated Test 4 - Create User Account Only As Admin??

http://www.kittmaster.com/bin/DummySpk7.spk

Let me know how it goes.........

Good luck

Chris
Last edited by kittmaster on Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:33 pm

Manual install picture attached.
"Invalid file format."
Attachments
manual_install.jpg
Manual install
manual_install.jpg (79.48 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:25 pm

I have an option, it might change the package build formatting for 7, which one did you download, zip, rar, direct?
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:28 pm

Original post updated to v2.
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:29 pm

kittmaster wrote:Original post updated to v2.

Some changes...
Attachments
manual install v2.jpg
manual install v2.jpg (117.28 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:05 am

kittmaster wrote:Original post updated to v2.

Original post updated to v3.
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:17 am

No changes. Same result.
Attachments
manual_install v3.png
manual_install v3.png (36.51 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
Next

Return to NAS installation