FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[OLD] Android Console

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:03 pm

Re: Android Console

I'll make those changes so thank you for the feedback.

OK ill fix that. For now you can turn the notification off under preferences. It is because everything is destroyed and recreated on rotate.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

moleculezz

Serviio lover

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi again,

I took some time to look at the tabs, and thought I might share some of my experience.

My first thought was to have all the tabs in view, so that you don't need to swipe many times to get to the other tabs. The Twitter app seem to be doing this nicely. But I think in this case, space might be an issue. I did find some nice icon fonts that you might be able to use to change the tabs into icons instead of using text. But these are just some thoughts to help out with the UI.

If you wanna keep the current setup of the tabs maybe adding some borders to the tabs and some extra space would make them feel more like buttons. Take a look at the Google Music app. They seem to have the same idea as what you are trying to accomplish.

EDIT:
Ignore the font icon pack, I thought the full pack was free, only a subset is free. But you can find some nice free packs on the internet. I've been using them lately when developing websites. They scale very well compared to image icons.
Last edited by moleculezz on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMS: QNAP TS-459 Pro+
DMR: Samsung LE40B650 | Sony PS3
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Im loving the new beta 8! :D

Finding serviio server works amazing! Brilliant job!

Ive noticed, when i close the app using Task Manager on my phone, you could use a similiar application close app, it doesnt auto connect to the last server used, instead its the list of Serviio found
But if i close the app using "back" on the phone buttons and launch the app it does auto connect to the last server used :D
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:24 pm

moleculezz wrote:Hi again,

I took some time to look at the tabs, and thought I might share some of my experience.

My first thought was to have all the tabs in view, so that you don't need to swipe many times to get to the other tabs. The Twitter app seem to be doing this nicely. But I think in this case, space might be an issue. I did find some nice icon fonts that you might be able to use to change the tabs into icons instead of using text. But these are just some thoughts to help out with the UI.

If you wanna keep the current setup of the tabs maybe adding some borders to the tabs and some extra space would make them feel more like buttons. Take a look at the Google Music app. They seem to have the same idea as what you are trying to accomplish.

Space will be an issue on phones. At some point I plan on using the action bar for tablets that support it. For phones with large screens I might try to find out how to have as many titles as can fit rather than current plus one to the left and one to the right. That way on devices with large screens/in landscape navigation will be faster.

Xmantium wrote:Im loving the new beta 8! :D

Finding serviio server works amazing! Brilliant job!

Ive noticed, when i close the app using Task Manager on my phone, you could use a similiar application close app, it doesnt auto connect to the last server used, instead its the list of Serviio found
But if i close the app using "back" on the phone buttons and launch the app it does auto connect to the last server used :D

Ok i'll look into that. Glad you like it. Please also try manually adding servers and editing details etc.
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:19 pm

I've fixed all of the above issues (except the how to fit more tab titles on the screen).

If the app was stopped (killed by you or the OS), or already connected to a sever it will reconnect (provided you have it turned on in the preferences). If you switch to the server selection and then the app is killed, it will not reconnect. Sound OK?

Beta 9 link: Beta 9
If you are on beta 8 you will not be able to download it via the app. Sorry.

This fixes some screen rotation issues that caused notificaitons to be displayed each time you rotate. There are also some changes to the presentation settings. It also fixes a bug in the download code introduced in beta 8.

Code:
*Fixed crash on download introduced in Beta 8 by mistake
*Fixed autoconnect after being killed by a task manager
*Fixed being notified about app updates on screen rotate
*Fixed being notified about server updates on screen rotate
*Added button to ignore server updates until a new version is available
*Aligned indent of the presentation list
*Added radio button to idicate the current visibility when changing presentation visibilty
*Improved performance of the presentation list

The next release after that won't be for a while as I want to get devices and the rest of the settings done.

EDIT: I broke the update code in Beta 8. Sorry! I'll fix in soon but you will have to download the apk yourself. Thank you to the Desire S user who did that before anyone else got the chance :)

EDIT 2: Uploaded a new beta 9. However if you are on beta 8 you will not be able to download it via the app. Sorry.
Will

<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:32 pm

Ive noticed another bug, ive closed down Serviio on my PC, On my NAS is still running

Yet when i do, Find Serviio server, it still lists my PC and NAS Serviio
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Search for servers will not remove servers, it only adds new ones.
I did it that way on purpose so that you can customise them (change name for now) and keep those changes even if the device does not respond.

However I plan on adding an icon next to each server to indicate which are available and which aren't.
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 am

@User with a HTC Desire (Android 2.2), Beta 9 and a 0.6.0.1 Server

I got lots of reports last night because of the previous problem with trying to display a profile that does not exist (because of the protection I put in place I got a report, but then stopped the app crashing so you might not have noticed). If you look at your devices view, it will be full of 'Unkown Profile (ID 1)' or 'Unkown Profile (ID 19)'
You may well also be the same user who crashed the app trying to delete and edit a shared folder, and from using the ignore this version button.

Basically, I have no idea what you have done :( At all the points where the app has crashed, the data from the server has already be validated and I have not been able to reproduce the problems. (And I haven't recived crash reports from anyone else yet related to the same thing)

So, I need some help. Firstly, next time you see Unknown profile in your devices view, please go to http://SERVIIOIP:23423/rest/refdata/profiles?media=json and copy the resulting text and paste it in.
Please can you give me some more details about the shared folders crash. Was the update icon (top right corner) going while you initiated the edit? Was it the only shared folder. Ideally if it does it again go to http://SERVIIOIP:23423/rest/repository?media=json

As for the ignore button, did the ignore work, or did the notification come back.

Throw all the info at me that you can think of please

Hmmm you also apear to not have a locale set. Is there anything odd about your phone/android version it is running?
Will

<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:49 am

Is it possible to have a field that can be filled in where an user can put his username from here so that it is easier for you to get intouch with him if you get a crash report from him.

I know I would be happy if you could contact me on here to help with this.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 am

Yes and I will do that for the next version.
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Beta 10 is now ready. I've chosen to release it before implementing device mangement because it adds some extra error checking/reporting which will help with tracking down problems.

Direct link

This adds the ability to manage all serviio settings and adds more error checking. So that I can track down problems, I'm now asking for your Serviio forums username so I can PM you if a crash report is not enough to solve a problem. You can choose to not enter it, but it would be very helpful if you did.

Changelog
  Code:
*Added extra error checking
*Added #3 metadata settings
*Finished #1 presentation settings
*Added prompt for Serviio forum username so that I can PM you if I can't fix a bug with just the crash report
*Refdata will use locally translated strings if they exist
*Re-wrote refdata fetching (Hopefully this will fix #19)
*Added #2 library settings
*Transcoding settings enable and dissable with the main setting

Please give all the settings a good test as it is pretty easy to make a mistake linking it all up.

Edit: Think i've just solved the bad profile data problem :). I just installed 0.6.2 Beta 1 and I connected to the server straight away which loaded all the reference data (including profile data) before the server had finished adding the profiles.

@ZIP Can you think of any other data that is exposed via the API that gets loaded after the REST server loads? Looking at the reponse I get {"values":[]} until all the profiles have been loaded, so I can check for that and reload the data later.

Until the next release, if you see 'Unknown profile', please press menu -> switch server, and then reconnect.
Will

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:37 am

will how do you install the APK file cause when I try and run it from the HTC incredible it say no program available to run this file ?? ( yep even i have to ask for help from time to time lol )
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:41 am

Did you read the wiki :D

Note: You may not be able to install it directly from you browser's download manager as they often require that the apps are served as an 'application/vnd.android.package-archive' by the HTTP server. If you get a 'cannot open file'/'no program available' error, then please use a file manager to open and install the .apk as they use file extentions to determine the type of file.
Will

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:47 am

will wrote:Did you read the wiki :D

Note: You may not be able to install it directly from you browser's download manager as they often require that the apps are served as an 'application/vnd.android.package-archive' by the HTTP server. If you get a 'cannot open file'/'no program available' error, then please use a file manager to open and install the .apk as they use file extentions to determine the type of file.

a suggestion on what file managers work would be a good idea too ;)

EDIT: file manager from Rhythm software works a treat. https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rch_result

NOTE: deleting devices would be very useful ;)
Last edited by Cerberus on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:50 am

I assume most people who use android will have some sort of file manager installed surely?

The following should work
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm
https://market.android.com/details?id=l ... ndexplorer
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astr
Will

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 am

will wrote:I assume most people who use android will have some sort of file manager installed surely?

The following should work
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm
https://market.android.com/details?id=l ... ndexplorer
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astr

not always you have to remember that not all users are techie, like us and require alot of hints.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:02 am

Certainly for when It is released properly, during this stage of early testing I assumed that most non techy people would shy away from it, not even notice it.

I've put a few suggestions on the wiki about it.

Provided there is enough interest, which I think there should be, once I'm happy with it I'll proably pay for a developer account so that I can host it on android market.
Will

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:06 am

will wrote:Certainly for when It is released properly, during this stage of early testing I assumed that most non techy people would shy away from it, not even notice it.

I've put a few suggestions on the wiki about it.

Provided there is enough interest, which I think there should be, once I'm happy with it I'll proably pay for a developer account so that I can host it on android market.

i can help you with a donation when time comes if required.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks. Its about £16 so not very much.

I might do a free version and an identical cheapo donate version. If people don't want to donate, I still want to give them all the features/no adds or limitations.

Anyway, lots of things left to do first.

Any feedback on the app as someone who hasn't used it yet? Anything that was not obvious at first, seamed out of place/not how you expected it to work?
Will

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:48 am

will wrote:Thanks. Its about £16 so not very much.

I might do a free version and an identical cheapo donate version. If people don't want to donate, I still want to give them all the features/no adds or limitations.

Anyway, lots of things left to do first.

Any feedback on the app as someone who hasn't used it yet? Anything that was not obvious at first, seamed out of place/not how you expected it to work?

yer sadly free versions have to have ads, thats part of googles rules :( so a donate version for about £1 should work for most users.

1. Delete devices badly needed.
2. Presentation and about page tabs needed rather than in setting.

so far everything else seems to work, shows as expected.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

PreviousNext

Return to Third-party tools integration