FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio WinHelper (Sleep Management and Tools for Windows)

<<

rt7

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 22, 2015 12:26 pm

Re: Serviio WinHelper (Sleep Management and Tools for Window

system restore did not work.

So in a nut shell this is what happened

last 2 years I used to stream content to my TV through serviio and to my PC through shared network folders

and WINHELPER prevented my pc going to sleep

but about 1-2 months ago this stopped(i.e. win helper keeps putting PC to sleep and does not recognize any network connections). I have fiddled around with
Power settings
system restore
registry keys for serviio
Uninstalling and Installing serviio and winhelper to older versions
Disabled all ANti virus and firewalls
No updates were installed in the meantime on the PC
tried searching online for answers for hours

LOL I m getting tired now , please if anyone can point out something I have missed or I can try. would be much appreciated

EDIT: Come to think of it the only thing that has changed is i have a new router, could that be somehow affecting WINHELPER? as in blocking ports or something?(cant seem to find anything like that in the router) its an ASUS RTN56U
<<

adielk

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat May 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Router may (probably does) have hardwall firewall?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue May 26, 2015 12:45 pm

When you are streaming to a TV (Serviio via DLNA), and not pause, can you please right click on the WinHelper icon in the System Tray (bottom left - it may be hidden) and select "Network connections". This will then show the status of all active TCP sessions.

Do you see any connections from your server on port 8895 as is shown in the first row below:
New-2.jpg
New-2.jpg (90.33 KiB) Viewed 48590 times
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

rt7

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 28, 2015 4:21 am

Did as you asked, here is the result

when I start streaming I get the Pic1 i.e. Port detected

Ports detected.jpg
Ports detected.jpg (120.84 KiB) Viewed 48579 times

2 Mins later , see PIC2 i.e. no ports detected
NOTE: Video never stopped streaming

no port detected.jpg
no port detected.jpg (122.36 KiB) Viewed 48579 times

8 mins later PC goes to sleep
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu May 28, 2015 10:37 pm

Winhelper is doing what it should - detecting a TCP session on port 8895 from your server to a device and then inhibiting sleep. Once the session closes, Winhelper waits 10 minutes and then allows the PC to sleep.

The question becomes, why is the TCP session to port 8895 to 192.168.15.13 closed, even though the device is still streaming?

What devices is on .15.13? Is it a TV? Was the stream paused? If you press "Check Now" a few times, does the sleep mode change?
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

rt7

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 29, 2015 6:39 am

DenyAll wrote:Winhelper is doing what it should - detecting a TCP session on port 8895 from your server to a device and then inhibiting sleep. Once the session closes, Winhelper waits 10 minutes and then allows the PC to sleep.

The question becomes, why is the TCP session to port 8895 to 192.168.15.13 closed, even though the device is still streaming?

What devices is on .15.13? Is it a TV? Was the stream paused? If you press "Check Now" a few times, does the sleep mode change?

the device .15.13 is a Media server on win8.1 and is streaming to a networked win 7 PC

I did use check now and kept refreshing it and its always around 2 min mark it stops detecting PC connection

I have no idea whats closing the connections, i have checked that those ports are forwarded to .15.13 or left open for that PC

COMPLETELY CONFUSED AND LOST

Thanks for trying to help though
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sat May 30, 2015 3:25 am

As I explained earlier, when you watch a movie on a PC (rather than a TV or BD Player or the like) it is not [generally] streaming via Serviio. Hence it does not use port 8895 and hence WinHelper won't detect it and keep the PC awake.

PC-to-PC video playing doesn't use DLNA, it's simply sharing the file. Not sure why there is a small detection at the beginning - suspect it is WIndows Networking briefly pinging the server, so that it appears as a "Network Device" (which is totally unusable).

The exception to this is if you use a "purpose-built" DLNA/UPNP client on your Win7 PC - something like VLC (connecting via the Universal Plug'n'Play option and then selecting the Serviio Server) or via Kodi (once again, connecting via the Serviio Server). This will stream the video from the Serviio Server using port 8895, and therefore be detected by WinHelper. Note that Windows Media Player is not a DLNA/UPNP client.

So my suggestions:
  • Try streaming to a TV and ensure WinHelper is keeping the server awake as it should be;
  • For PC to PC "streaming": I'm not a big fan of using DLNA/UPNP between PC's (I don't see the point - this protocol was designed for streaming to non-PC's) so I would either:
    • use Serviio's MediaBrowser (in which case WinHelper will keep the server awake, although this can be tricky at times - see some of the proceedings posts); or
    • look at another means to keep your server awake for this type of streaming - for starters, on your server, check your Power Options and against your current Power Plan and check the Advanced Settings, Multimedia settings and check the "When sharing media" setting.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

rt7

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 30, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks, will try that out
<<

sam561

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi,
is serviio winhelper work well with Windows 10 ?
thanks a lot !
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:29 pm

Afaik there was no change to the API calls that WinHelper uses in Win10, so it should work well. Try it and let me know any issues.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:48 am

Hi all - Version 1.0.9 has been released and added to the OP.

It's been some time since the last update. This release removes the automatic library refresh capability (as this is now included in Serviio since version 1.5. It hasn't been working in WinHelper since then anyway - since nobody, including me, noticed it I figure everyone has turned off the WinHelper library monitoring as recommended in viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12136&start=80#p97404 anyway). The other main change is I've added a bit more to the System Tray context menu (right click on the WinHelper System Tray Icon).

Changes this release include:

• Removed file monitoring and automatic library updates – this function now included in natively in Serviio 1.5 onward.
  • Settings Tab: New setting to allow connections to Windows Media Player devices to be ignored when determining whether to activate Serviio Sleep mode. This was hard-coded in previous versions. It's now a user option as I had one user (sorry cannot remember who it was) needing this functionality. I recommend that most users should leave this setting on to reduce false connections being detected.
  • Tools Tab: New tool to delete the Serviio Log file when restarting the Windows service (via WinHelper). I find this handy to start a fresh log file after making some changes.
  • System Tray: Added ability to run Serviio Console (1.6+) from system tray context menu. Will start in your default browser.
  • System Tray: Added ability to run Serviio MediaBrowser from system tray context menu. Will start in your default browser. Pro (or Evaluation) Users Only - will be greyed out for Free users.
  • System Tray: Added ability to start/stop Serviio Service from system tray context menu.
  • Improvement: Uses Serviio API to shut down the Windows service gracefully (previously used Windows Services).
  • Improvement: Reset Sleep Mode when shutting down Serviio Service
As always, let me know any issues or ideas to incorporate.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

glda19

Serviio lover

Post Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:44 pm

I download serviio winhelper.
But when i start the winhelper and do restart of windows 10 winhelper auto start how can i prevent that.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:34 am

glda19 wrote:I download serviio winhelper.
But when i start the winhelper and do restart of windows 10 winhelper auto start how can i prevent that.
In WinHelper, go to the Settings tab and un-select "Start Serviio WinHelper on log in".
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Dypsis

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed May 10, 2017 5:46 am

Is Serviio WinHelper Still Required?

Is Serviio WinHelper still required to stop Windows from sleeping, or is this feature now built-in to Serviio 1.8?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed May 10, 2017 10:02 pm

You need WinHelper (either that, or you turn off Sleep altogether ;))

Serviio does not include functionality to stop your PC sleeping and as far as I'm aware there is no plan to add it.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Dypsis

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu May 11, 2017 12:37 am

OK. Strange that it is not included.

Thank you.
<<

eNdEmiOn

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:25 pm

DenyAll Thanks for making this tool, 2022, serviio 2.2.1 and this tool is still required apparently.
Previous

Return to Third-party tools integration