FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio WinHelper (Sleep Management and Tools for Windows)

<<

Darklord

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Serviio WinHelper (Sleep Management and Tools for Window

The "Monitor Shared Folders" feature stopped working for me.
I modified the Shared Folders in the console while the Feature was enabled (yes, I know... despite the warning not to do that.. I forgot about it.)
Now I can't get it to work any more.
I tried disabeling and reenabling it, I even tried to completely uninstall serviio, delete all traces of serviio and winhelper i could find on my system, reboot and reinstall, but no success.
I can't reenable this feature any more. I can't even check the box for that option. clicking on it does nothing.

Any idea how I could Fix that?

Thanks.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:11 am

Hi Darklord

The only reason its not recommended to modify the shared folders is because WinHelper scans their properties at startup. Restarting WinHelper, or simply turning "Monitor Shared Folders" off and then back on will cause a re-scan... and all should be good??

Did you perhaps move your monitored files to an external drive? The "Monitor Shared Folders" feature uses the Windows OS API to monitor the drives, and Windows can only monitor certain types of drives - some external/network connected drives for example cannot be monitored.

I can't reenable this feature any more. I can't even check the box for that option. clicking on it does nothing.
That's weird. Is the checkbox available or is it greyed out? Try:
  • In WinHelper, click "Erase all Settings" on the Settings tab and immediately exit WinHelper (right click on the icon in the system tray and select Exit).
  • Restart WinHelper
  • Test, but also test if other settings can be saved (eg. Sleep Management)
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Darklord

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks for the quick response.

It's not an external drive. The drive is new, but it's internal (SATA III). It is a large drive (3TB) formated in GPT, not MBR, to allow for one 3TB partition. Could this have anything to do with it?

Erase all Settings doesn't solve it.

I tested, and in fact it doesn't save any changes to settings. Everytime I restart WinHelper they're back the way they were bevore I changed them.
However all other features (sleep Monitoring, Logging) can be turned on and off. I Can check and uncheck the boxes (although changes are lost after restart).
Only "Monitor Shared Folders" can't be enabled. It's not greyed out. It looks perfectly normal, the check-box even highlights when I 'mouse-over' it. But clicking it doesn't check it, and in the statusbar it alwas says "Library Status: Monitoring is disabled"

Where does winhelper save it's settings? Maybe someting got corrupted there and deleting those files/registry entries could force Winhelper to create a new settings-file?

BTW my OS is Win7x64
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:07 am

Have been reading up and I can't find anything to suggest that it won't work with GPT, but lets put it to one side and see if its related to the other problem....

Saved data is stored in the registry - in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Serviio WinHelper. You can try deleting the whole key (Winhelp will recreate it) and see if that helps. Check that it is recreated.

Also check the permissions on the registry key (right click on it - SYSTEM, user and administrator should have access to it). You could also run Winhelper as an Administrator (close WinHelper, then right click on it and select Run As Administrator) and see if any of this helps, but it is a strange one.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Darklord

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:54 am

Deleting the Registry key did it.
Everything back to normal.

FYI: works with GPT.

Thanks a lot!
<<

sam561

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:50 pm

hi, and tanks a lot for this tool..
My hybern is about 30 minutes, i saw a movie about one hout, the pc is not hibern. It is good !
But i saw servioo winhelper has a littel S icon on tray and serviio sleep mode enabled.
Why if i use the pc the icon and the statut stay ? when the statut willg one ? thanks a lot !
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:20 pm

@sam561
The status should return to normal sleep mode after a while (usually 10 minutes but depends on the timer on the Sleep screen). If it never returns back to sleep mode take note of which renderer has an active session against it (green arrows), also try enabling the "Sleep Management: ..." checkbox on the Settings tab.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Darkfalz

Serviio lover

Post Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:54 am

G'day,

I'd like an option automatically ignore/disable all "Unrecognised device" which is normally WMP or some part of the Windows Media Library component connecting to Serviio from various PCs.
Sony KDL-55HX750 and BDV-N990W (Home Theatre)
Sony KDL-40D3100 and BDP-S390 (Loungeroom)
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:04 am

Hi Darkfalz - sorry for the late response.
Sometime devices come up as "Unrecognised device" and are still valid - but as a user selectable option this should be possible.
However, you can disable devices like this in Serviio Console (right click on them)- that will remove them from Winhelper. This should achieve the same outcome.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:42 pm

Important information for users of the Automatic Library Refreshing feature in Serviio WinHelper:

Release 1.5 of Serviio includes a new Library Scanning Scheme - see http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=lib ... _mechanism. When a media file is added to, deleted from, or renamed within your shared folders, Serviio will now detect the change and update the Serviio library automatically. No more waiting for a timer - add a media file to a shared folder and it appears in your library near instantly.

To avoid both Serviio and WinHelp refreshing the library due to the same change/addition/deletion of a media file, users should either Serviio's "Keep Library automatically updated" or WinHelper's "Use WinHelper to monitor Shared Folders" but not both. While it won't be catastrophic if both are enabled, it will use resources unnecessarily which could slow your PC.

I recommend that WinHelper users disable the "Use WinHelper to monitor Shared Folders" option in WinHelper, and use Serviio's new native capabilities.

During beta testing the only downside I came across was in one test case - where a user download torrents directly into the shared folder. I have developed a small console program that assists with this use-case, so if you are affected by this please see: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18183

I will likely remove the Automatic Library Refreshing feature from Serviio WinHelper in the future (unless there is compelling reasons to keep it).
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

snowflake7

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:20 am

Call me silly.

I am struggling to find a link to download the newest version of Serviio Winhelper.

Give some direction.
Sony XBR55X850A | Synology DS412+ DS214Play DS918+| QNAP TS-451 | Buffalo TS3400D | VM 6.5 ESXi | Server 2016, Server 2012 | Samsung Note 9
Samsung s9 | Samsung Tablets | Onkyo TX-NR656 | Sony BDP-S3700 | Multiple Harmony Hubs | Multiple Echo Devices | Firesticks | Toshiba FireTV | Sling/AirTV
Lutron Lighting and Honeywell Environmental Bridges | Amcrest 1080p Cameras
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:04 am

Hi snowflake7. It's in the opening post - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12136#p75266. Version 1.08 is the latest.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

snowflake7

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:56 pm

Have my board set up most current top.

Didn't think to reverse the order.

Great tool Thanks!
Sony XBR55X850A | Synology DS412+ DS214Play DS918+| QNAP TS-451 | Buffalo TS3400D | VM 6.5 ESXi | Server 2016, Server 2012 | Samsung Note 9
Samsung s9 | Samsung Tablets | Onkyo TX-NR656 | Sony BDP-S3700 | Multiple Harmony Hubs | Multiple Echo Devices | Firesticks | Toshiba FireTV | Sling/AirTV
Lutron Lighting and Honeywell Environmental Bridges | Amcrest 1080p Cameras
<<

vephcast

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 05, 2015 5:23 am

hello, is it possible to put the console on a server online,I mean the whole program online

tnks
jose luis
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed May 06, 2015 12:38 pm

Not sure what you mean. Winhelper is a Win32 app.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

rt7

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 21, 2015 2:57 am

Darklord wrote:The "Monitor Shared Folders" feature stopped working for me.
I modified the Shared Folders in the console while the Feature was enabled (yes, I know... despite the warning not to do that.. I forgot about it.)
Now I can't get it to work any more.
I tried disabeling and reenabling it, I even tried to completely uninstall serviio, delete all traces of serviio and winhelper i could find on my system, reboot and reinstall, but no success.

Any idea how I could Fix that?

Update:

Thanks.

I have similar issue as dark lord out of nowhere
so I have tried the following
I m on win 8
made sure serviio and winhelper is up to date
ticked shared folder settings on and then off ( it bugged out for a while i.e. did not let me click it)
cleared registry keys
checked permissions

Uninstalled serviio and win helper and reverted back to 1.4 and win helper to jan 2014
cleaned registry again

restarted PC several times in between all of it
BUT I STILL HAVE THE ISSUE i.e. when using shared folders over the network the PC keeps going to sleep and nothing has changed on the PC in the last 2 years , no settings , software updates are off etc.

Update : in the status tab of win helper it is not detecting the PC I am streaming stuff to i.e. status remains red (1 min interval scanning and kept checking for 10 mins+ and only detected it once). This only starts working sometimes after I stop and start the server (I don't want to do that multiple times a day)

Also, when I do powercfg -requests , winhelper keeps disappearing when I am streaming stuff

By the way I am stream stuff to other PC,TV's through shared folders and serviio. have been doing that for 2 years approx. and never had an issue until few weeks ago out of nowhere.

Please help
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu May 21, 2015 2:10 pm

When you say streaming to another PC, do you mean via MediaBrowser?
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

rt7

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 21, 2015 3:40 pm

I mean, i stream to tv through serviio and in case of pc i do it through shared network folders
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri May 22, 2015 11:14 am

If I understand the issue then:

• when you stream from your Serviio server to your TV, then WinHelper detects it correctly and does inhibit your PC going to sleep? If so then this is working correctly.
  • In the case of sharing network folders - that is, one PC simply sees the folder on a hard drive located on another PC and loads a file from that shared drive - this is not streaming as such. It is simply using SMB to load the file from the network drive from your server to the local PC, where it is loaded into memory and played from their. WinHelper is not designed to inhibit sleep in this case.
WinHelper was never designed to inhibit sleep of the server when its drives are being shared. That is something completely different. WinHelper monitors Serviio's streaming ports only (ports 8895 for DLNA, and port 23424 for MediaBrowser) and controls the servers sleeping patterns based on Serviio streaming only, not on anything else (such as network shares being active or not).

I suspect that the fact your PC was not sleeping during network sharing in the past was due to something else - perhaps this may help: http://superuser.com/questions/562704/w ... ailability.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

rt7

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 22, 2015 12:06 pm

DenyAll wrote:If I understand the issue then:

• when you stream from your Serviio server to your TV, then WinHelper detects it correctly and does inhibit your PC going to sleep? If so then this is working correctly.
  • In the case of sharing network folders - that is, one PC simply sees the folder on a hard drive located on another PC and loads a file from that shared drive - this is not streaming as such. It is simply using SMB to load the file from the network drive from your server to the local PC, where it is loaded into memory and played from their. WinHelper is not designed to inhibit sleep in this case.
WinHelper was never designed to inhibit sleep of the server when its drives are being shared. That is something completely different. WinHelper monitors Serviio's streaming ports only (ports 8895 for DLNA, and port 23424 for MediaBrowser) and controls the servers sleeping patterns based on Serviio streaming only, not on anything else (such as network shares being active or not).

I suspect that the fact your PC was not sleeping during network sharing in the past was due to something else - perhaps this may help: http://superuser.com/questions/562704/w ... ailability.

no, what I am saying is it does not matter whether I use the TV or PC , the serviio winhelper is not preventing the PC from going to sleep.
I have checked the power settings (they some how got screwed up) and make sure they are what they are suppose to be

I m going to try a system restore and see if that work......
PreviousNext

Return to Third-party tools integration