FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio WinHelper (Sleep Management and Tools for Windows)

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:09 am

Re: Serviio WinHelper (Sleep Management and Tools for Window

Version 1.0.4 released - added to OP.

Changes to this version:

• Delay resuming normal sleep: some renderers seem to drop the TCP connection when when pausing, fast forwarding and rewinding. So that the PC doesn't go back to sleep during this period, Serviio WinHelper will wait, after detecting no further established TCP sessions, before resuming normal sleep mode. The wait time is either 2 x the Scan Interval (settings tab) or 10 minutes, whichever is the greater.
  • Have added a “MediaBrowser / API Access” renderer on the Status tab, to show TCP connection status on port 23424 for all IP addresses. This will show when Mediabrowser or third party app, such as ServiiGo, are streaming (have an active TCP session) irrespective of their source IP address (both internal on your network or from internet remote access).
With respect to the second feature, my testing showed that in some cases (eg. IOS MediaBrowser) the TCP session was not held open very long. It appears to be transmitted in bursts. This means that WinHelper, which only polls for connections every xx minutes, may miss that the connection is open in these cases. Am still looking for a better way to detect streaming in these instances (I don't however believe this is a big issue - people using MediaBrowser or third party apps are likely using them for remote access - and the server should never be allowed to sleep if you require remote access). As always, feedback welcome.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:47 pm

DenyAll wrote:...
[*]Have added a “MediaBrowser / API Access” renderer on the Status tab, to show TCP connection status on port 23424 for all IP addresses. ... As always, feedback welcome.

Thanks for this new status of MediaBrowser use. Very useful with ServiiGo, now we can see internet remote access use...
Could you confirm that when the WinHelper logo change in system tray with a "S", mean that a device is streaming?
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Just as a warning, ServiiGo does quite a bit of on device caching to minimise the requtes it has to make, all images and some browse responses (next version will cache most of the respnses) are cached, video is probably buffered in chunks as well for most the players, so it may be easy to miss when ServiiGo is actually being used.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:04 am

@Illico. The "S" overlayed onto the system tray icon means "Servio Sleep Mode" ie. that CPU sleep is being inhibited. Yes, it effectively means it has detected streaming (a TCP session on Serviio ports is active), or from this version, that a streaming session was recently finished (we're now holding this mode active for a while after streaming has finished, just to allow for pausing etc on some devices). You can see whether is TCP session is active (streaming) or whether its recently finished in the text on the Status tab (under the list of renderers).

Can this be used as a definitive test for streaming activity - no, we can only at this stage test for TCP sessions on the Serviio ports. Unfortunately TCP sessions may remain active even after the renderer has been turned off - leading to false positives (as per my OP) - or may be held open for such a short duration that WinHelper's polling misses them (seems to occur on port 23424 access, Mediabrowser and API, see will's post above) - leading to false negatives.

@will. Thanks - I think this is also what I was seeing when testing with IOS MediaBrowser. I don't think it's an issue for sleep management (because anyone using remote access could not possibly be allowing their server to go to sleep at all) but yes, it will be misleading if anyone is using this tool to definitively see if Serviio is actively streaming to (particularly) MediaBrowser or API users.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

dwellernet

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:38 am

Hi, can you advise me how to get this running automatically on start-up in windows 8 64 bit, windows prevents it from running unless you manually accept it, ran compatibility mode and will run now first time when selected however still wont start up with windows (tried the tick box and manually adding it to the start up folder).

Thanks
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:49 am

It has something to do with permissions - maybe satman777 can assist you (he solved it here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12136#p78624).
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:38 am

Version 1.0.5 released - added to OP.

This release includes a new set of tools that use the ffmpeg program included with your Serviio installation to perform some basic information collection and remuxing functions. I think this tool will help new users or others not familiar with ffmpeg command and/or using the command line interface.

The Remux tab in Serviio WinHelper allows you to:

• Gather information about your video files - equivalent to using the ffmpeg -i command for each file. Media information is stored on the Windows clipboard. It can then be pasted into a document, or into the Serviio user forum to enable others to assist you with issues with that file;
  • Remux a video file into the same container type. Remuxing into the same container can sometimes be used to fix a non-playable file (where you know that container, video and audio streams are supported by your TV/renderer). For example, remuxing can often fix the non-zero wBitsPerSample problem in AVI files that results in the video freezing on many Panasonic and Sony TV's. Remuxing to the same container will produce a new file with the same name as the source file. The source file is renamed to filename.old;
  • Remux an MKV video file into an MP4 container type. Useful where your device does not support MKV files natively, but does support MP4's (such as the Playstation 3). Remuxing produces an MP4 file without loss of quality in either video or audio. Note that the remux process will remux all video and audio streams - even if those streams are not normally associated with and/or supported by an MP4 container (eg. a vorbis audio stream can be remuxed to MP4 even though it is not normally associated with that container). This may result in an MP4 file that is unplayable on your device. The source file is retained.
    Equivalent to ffmpeg -i filename.mkv -map 0 -c copy filename.mp4 command.
  • Remux an MP4 video file into an MKV container type. Useful where your device does not support MP4 files natively, but does support MKV's. Remuxing produces an MKV file without loss of quality in either video or audio. As above, note that the remux process will remux all video and audio streams - which may result in an MKV file that is unplayable on your device. The source file is retained.
    Equivalent to ffmpeg -i filename.mp4 -map 0 -c copy filename.mkv command.
To use this tool:

• Select the Remux tab in Serviio WinHelper;
  • From Windows Explorer (My Computer) drag and drop your video and/or subtitle files into the Files area;
  • Select the Action to perform;
  • Press Go!
Note that once complete the file list must be cleared before undertaking any other action (this is by design). Also note that files of the wrong type are skipped (eg. AVI files will be skipped if you choose the Remux from MKV to MP4 action type).

Have a play and let me know what you think. I am in two minds on this one - it does enable some basic remuxing functions to be performed by new users - but it can also potentially result in horribly non-standard combinations of video and audio for that container type, which may cause more problems than it solves (this is why I haven't included remuxing from AVI to another type). Let me know whether other remux combinations should be considered (eg. remuxing to m2ts - am concerned could lead to non-standard combo's, plus the problem with aspect ratios).
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:04 pm

@DenyAll this is brilliant, i used rebox.net and Xmedia Recode before this to remux .mkv files to .mp4 for use on my Xbox 360, my ARM chip linux server does not have the power to transcode on the fly using Serviio.

This program relies on ffmpeg on packaged with Serviio, however my Serviio is on a Linux NAS (the best efficient way to run Serviio 24/7)
Can you also add location of ffmpeg where Serviio WinHelper.exe is located so i can use ffmpeg from http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
Another advantage of this would be it will be latest stable ffmpeg.
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

sfj13

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi,
First thanks @DenyAll for this tool :D . I had to go to my PC every 20-30 min to "kick" the keyboard/mouse to wake it up so I could continue watching the movies.
Also - even though not sure it was your intent - it helps keeping Steam downloads going on until finished (they were also stopping/pausing once the PC went to sleep - and had to restart them).
However - the bad/weird thing now.....the computer stays awake :( . I stream to my PS3 - and even though I shut it off after watching, checking 1/2 hour, 1h and 2h after - the display was sleeping but the PC was not.
Any idea? TBH - I haven't played at all with the settings/profile. BTW, I wanted to check the log - says "path not specified".
Thanks
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks sfj13,
However - the bad/weird thing now.....the computer stays awake
Not sure. I have a PS3 and don't get this. WinHelper works by checking for active TCP sessions using NetStat. It's up to the end device to close these sessions (although Windows supposedly will clean up inactive sessions after a while). We need to determine what device is keeping a session up, and therefore keeping the PC awake. When your PC stays awake, after a while (at least twice as long as your Scan timer on the settings tab) check in WinHelper for:

• On the Status tab, what Sleep Mode does it say is operating (to the left of the Scan Now button)?
  • Is there a green symbol against any of the devices on this tab?
  • Right Click on the running WinHelper Icon in your system tray and select NetStat. Look for anything using sessions using ports 8895 or 23424 (the address will contain :8895 or :23424).
I wanted to check the log - says "path not specified".
I think I found the issue - can you confirm you are using NotePad (not NotePad++) as the editor on your Settings tab. Interestingly it worked on my PC despite the bug I found (it shouldn't have - it was pointing to the wrong folder - fat fingers :oops:).
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

sfj13

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:15 am

Sorry for the late reply - just got around to check the stuff you mentioned.
DenyAll wrote:Thanks sfj13,
However - the bad/weird thing now.....the computer stays awake
Not sure. I have a PS3 and don't get this. WinHelper works by checking for active TCP sessions using NetStat. It's up to the end device to close these sessions (although Windows supposedly will clean up inactive sessions after a while). We need to determine what device is keeping a session up, and therefore keeping the PC awake. When your PC stays awake, after a while (at least twice as long as your Scan timer on the settings tab) check in WinHelper for:

• On the Status tab, what Sleep Mode does it say is operating (to the left of the Scan Now button)?
- Normal Sleep Mode enabled
  • Is there a green symbol against any of the devices on this tab?
  • - No - all are red
  • Right Click on the running WinHelper Icon in your system tray and select NetStat. Look for anything using sessions using ports 8895 or 23424 (the address will contain :8895 or :23424).
  • - There are a lot (at least 10-12) but NONE using 8895 or 23424 (56312; 56871; 56985; 60057; 60462; etc)
    I wanted to check the log - says "path not specified".
    I think I found the issue - can you confirm you are using NotePad (not NotePad++) as the editor on your Settings tab. Interestingly it worked on my PC despite the bug I found (it shouldn't have - it was pointing to the wrong folder - fat fingers :oops:).
    I checked but it's Notepad for Win 7 Pro - ver 6.1
    <<

hans

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Doesn’t work for me. When I click NetStat it shows strange things.
    Running on Win7 SP1 32b Czech version (may be localization is the problem?)
    Winhelper-netstat.PNG
    Winhelper-netstat.PNG (62.45 KiB) Viewed 52834 times
    <<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:33 am

@sfj13
    I'll have the Notepad issue fixed in the next version.
    Not returning to sleep: WinHelper is saying it is returning to normal sleep mode. So either this part isn't working for you which I'd find unusual as others haven't reported it (I'll have to think of a way to test this) or perhaps something else is keeping your system awake. Can we rule out this first - do you run other software that may keep the system awake eg. bit torent software?

@hans - yes it's localization. Also need to think on this....
    DenyAll
    WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
    <<

sfj13

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:22 am

DenyAll wrote:@sfj13
    I'll have the Notepad issue fixed in the next version.
    Not returning to sleep: WinHelper is saying it is returning to normal sleep mode. So either this part isn't working for you which I'd find unusual as others haven't reported it (I'll have to think of a way to test this) or perhaps something else is keeping your system awake. Can we rule out this first - do you run other software that may keep the system awake eg. bit torent software?

I did have the Steam and Origin engines open - however, wasn't playing or downloading anything. I closed them before going to bed, and indeed, this morning the PC was "asleep". I'm not sure if that helped or it was something else I wasn't aware of. Anyway - thanks for now. I'll keep posting feedback if there's anything new.
    Cheers!
    <<

Darkfalz

Serviio lover

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:02 am

WinHelper is keeping my server alive if I merely have Windows Media Player or VLC open on another PC, it detects this as an "in-use" Serviio session. I wish I could tell Serviio to ignore software players.
    Sony KDL-55HX750 and BDV-N990W (Home Theatre)
    Sony KDL-40D3100 and BDP-S390 (Loungeroom)
    <<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:17 am

Are you using those other players with Serviio? If not, disable them in Serviio Console (right click on the devices IP address in the Status tab and select disable). Rescan your devices in WinHelper.
    Winhelper will only scan enabled devices.
    DenyAll
    WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
    <<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:32 pm

With this file : http://download.wavetlan.com/SVV/Media/ ... _1600k.3gp

The "ffmpeg -i" tools failed (on remux tab)

Unhandled exception has occurred...
    Value cannot be null.
    Paramater name: text.
    Details:
      Code:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: text
       at System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetText(String text, TextDataFormat format)
       at ServiioWinHelper.MainForm.btnGo_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1008 (RTMGDR.030319-1000)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Serviio WinHelper
        Assembly Version: 1.0.5.0
        Win32 Version: 1.0.5.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Serviio/Serviio%20WinHelper.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1002 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Xml
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1015 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Configuration
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1015 (RTMGDR.030319-1000)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.
    <<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks Illico,
    At the moment I am only supporting common media file types: avi divx dvx mp4 m4v mkv srt sub ssa. I can add 3gp as well - what other one's do you think should be included?
    I will improve the error handling for the next version.
    DenyAll
    WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
    <<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:09 am

DenyAll wrote:At the moment I am only supporting common media file types: avi divx dvx mp4 m4v mkv srt sub ssa.

Is this the file extension or container support ?

DenyAll wrote:...What other one's do you think should be included?...

We know that serviio "matcher" supports all these containers (file extension is not analyzed) :
    container - compulsory; name of container; possible values: * (any), asf (WMV), mpeg (MPEG2PS), mpegts (MPEG2TS), mp4 (MPEG4, MOV), mpegvideo (MPEG1), matroska (MKV), avi, flv, wtv, ogg, 3gp, rtp, rtsp, applehttp, rm (RealMedia)

So you could probably add : asf,mpeg,mpegts,flv,ogg...
    <<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:20 am

It's done on file extension. I'll add your suggestions.
    Cheers
    DenyAll
    WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
    PreviousNext

Return to Third-party tools integration