FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Windows Home Server (v1) Add-In

<<

ptyork

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 25, 2011 3:30 am

Windows Home Server (v1) Add-In

I've created a full-featured add-in for WHS (version 1, not 2011--I'd be happy to if'n I had a copy). If you are a WHS user and would like to give it a whirl, please visit:

http://serviiowhs.codeplex.com/

I "recommend" that you download the "recommended download," slap the MSI in your Software/Add-Ins folder, and beat it into submission. You can respond here with any comments or (preferably so I don't clog up Zip's site) open issues and/or start discussions on the CodePlex site. Regardless, let me know what you think.

Enjoy!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed May 25, 2011 11:16 pm

Re: Windows Home Server (v1) Add-In

great stuff, I have it running for a few days now without problems.
<<

ptyork

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 26, 2011 2:20 am

Only a couple downloads so far. Has WHS truly already died? :( Anyway, let me know if you (y'all) come across any issues by, say, Sunday. If not, I'll bump it up to beta and send off a product announcement to the various WHS blogs.

-Paul
<<

bigP

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:55 am

hi there,

i have installed a normal serviio build before the add in you have kindly put together. So far i have no probs to report. What is the benefit of uninstalling my original serviio software and usinf your addin? Sorry to sound like a noob but please clarify.

Thanks.
Petr.
<<

peterlouvel

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 29, 2011 10:23 am

Hi, I've got WHS V1 running Serviio as a service.

So ditto to last question (and I only stumbled onto this message tonight, don't normally check out the forums)

I'm also planning on updating my server to WHS 2011 next weekend with new hardware.

PS: does your console show active scans/updates? I have to check the Task Manager to see if the Serviio service is actually doing anything or if it's sitting idle.
<<

zip

Post Sun May 29, 2011 2:49 pm

You have to install Serviio as usually. The add-in is a replacement for the console, ie you don't have to use RemoteDesktop to run the console, instead you can configure Serviio from inside your WHS console.
<<

ptyork

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Yeah, there's no specific benefit other than making it easier to manage for the "average" home server user. It does have the ability to download and install Serviio semi-automatically, but the install is no different than the one you did.

As for library updates, yes, it does poll the server once every few seconds or so to see if the library update processes are running and animates a "status" icon on the library page. I think Zip's console does something similar, though.

As for 2011, I'm sure I'll get around to upgrading sooner or later. I don't have access to it through my MSDN license, so I'll have to break down and buy it one of these days.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun May 29, 2011 6:15 pm

ptyork wrote:Yeah, there's no specific benefit other than making it easier to manage for the "average" home server user. It does have the ability to download and install Serviio semi-automatically, but the install is no different than the one you did.

As for library updates, yes, it does poll the server once every few seconds or so to see if the library update processes are running and animates a "status" icon on the library page. I think Zip's console does something similar, though.

As for 2011, I'm sure I'll get around to upgrading sooner or later. I don't have access to it through my MSDN license, so I'll have to break down and buy it one of these days.

after reading that i very excited about this addon and may use it when i build my over media server here. Great job :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

ptyork

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 31, 2011 4:27 am

Looks like interest picked up a bit as we hit around 25 downloads. No reports of issues, so I've made some VERY minor changes, bumped the version to 0.5.2.0 (to align with Serviio itself), and nudged the status from alpha to beta. I'll be sending out release notices to a couple of WHS communities tomorrow.

If you wish to keep your install at the latest version or are looking to install if for the first time now that it's been vetted a bit, you can download the latest release at http://serviiowhs.codeplex.com/. Don't forget to uninstall the alpha BEFORE copying the msi for the beta into your WHS's Software/Add-Ins folder. And as always, let me know of any issues you encounter.

Oh, and if you feel inclined to donate (above and beyond your donation to Petr, of course), then give a few bucks to the American Red Cross to help out the poor folks in the Southern and Midwestern US. Between flooding and tornadoes, those folks need a break.

- Paul
<<

lglessner

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue May 31, 2011 11:45 pm

I installed Serviio on my WHS and it's great, thanks for making it easy!

I bought our WHS for other purposes and thought if the media streaming worked it was just a bonus. So I wasn't willing to invest much time making it work. Today I downloaded the WHS add-in after I saw it mentioned on We Got Served. Now files that didn't stream properly with Twonky (what was included on my machine) are streaming correctly and mediashare our directv boxes actually work too. I never thought *they* would work ;)

Thanks!
<<

ptyork

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:29 am

lglessner wrote:I installed Serviio on my WHS and it's great, thanks for making it easy!

Glad you found it easy! That was definitely the #1 goal for the plug-in. Obviously all of the other praise is directed to Petr who made the "magic" happen behind the scenes.
<<

deaerator

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Is it possible to have this addin point to another computer running serviio on the network
<<

ptyork

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:45 pm

I designed the software to make this easy, but I didn't implement the plug-in to allow for it. And some functionality (e.g., the service control, log file viewing, configuration file editing, etc.) relies on the plug-in being installed on the same computer as the Serviio service. It'd be pretty trivial to create a settings dialog that could allow you to change it to point to another networked Serviio installation. But it wouldn't have 100% feature parity--essentially it'd have all the functionality of the existing Java-based console since that's all that Petr specifically allows for remotely. If that's something that you'd desire, create an issue on the serviiowhs.codeplex.com site and I'll try and add it to a future build.
<<

j22barb

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Great add-on do I need to do anything speacial to use it with the new version of Serviio 0.6?
<<

ptyork

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:20 am

Nope, it just works. Or at least it works sans any of the new online feed stuff. I've been pounded lately with work and defending a dissertation, but I've already begun the work of getting a 0.6-specific version of the add-in. For the time being, though, you can upgrade to 0.6 via remote desktop and rest assured that it will not break the WHS add-in.
<<

Pri

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:42 am

Hi,

Just replaced my 28" CRT with a flat panel and installed the Serviio plugin on my WHS.

The TV LG 42LV550W (Norwegian model) found the server at once, but will only show audio files. Any ideas what might cause this?
I've tried a couple of tips found on google, but nothing seems to work. It might be woth mentioning that I have been unable to change the service login from "LocalSystem" to Administrator or any other account (error msg "An error was encountered trying to change the service login account").

Also, while fault-finding on google I came across the built in media sharing in Win7/ WMP. I configured this allowing my TV access to the media and it works like a charm.

Any help would be appretiated as I'd like to be able to stream from the WHS and not having to power up my desktop PC to stream media.
<<

zip

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:06 am

Make sure you select the LG profile
<<

Pri

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi Zip,

Thanks for your reply.

I started using the generic DLNA profile but changed that to LG BD player but no change.

Since I wrote the previous post I removed all the shared folders and added a single folder with an .mkv file.
When I connect the TV I see a folder called "Audio" with an empty sub-folder named "Artists".

Any idea what's going on?
<<

zip

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:09 pm

No. But one thing, this plugin only works with version 0.5.2 which is no longer supported here. You can either wait for the plugin to bump to 0.6 (should be soon I think) or download the standard Serviio bundle and install it via Remote Desktop.
<<

Pri

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks again, I'll try installing 0.6 directly.
Next

Return to Third-party tools integration