FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ServiiDroid (Android Console) - Get it on Google Play

<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: ServiiDroid (Android Console) - Get it on Google Play

I would like this, definately a warning for users who don't realise the online database have to be recached which can take time.
are you using jhb50 hack method?

this will make it the only console and method to do it before v1.0 release. :)
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:10 am

How is this for the messages.

Shown when the user first uses reordering:
Serviio 0.6.X does not natively support reordering online sources.
In order to make it work, all online sources are removed and then re-added in the new order.
This has two potential problems:
First, if the online sources are removed, but are not re-added successfully due to a network error, you will have to re-add all your online sources manually unless you press save again to retry until it works.
Second, Serviio will have to re-fetch most of the information for your online sources. This will take a while, especially if you have a lot of them.

In the rare case that the network dies after removing, but before adding finishes:
Your online sources were removed successfully, but something went wrong when adding them back in the new order.
It is strongly recommended that you press save again to retry, otherwise you will have to re-add all of your online sources manually.

The next release should be ready by the end of today/tomorrow at the latest.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:25 am

Looks good. is the warning going to be a popup type warning when they try and reorder?
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:30 am

moltra wrote:Looks good. is the warning going to be a popup type warning when they try and reorder?

Yes it is a popup that they have to press OK for. The first one will show the first time the user enters the reorder activity if there server version is <1.0, once they have pressed OK, they won't see it again. The second will show anytime that they reorder the sources and press save and it fails half way through (in a state were their online sources have been removed, but not added back) to ensure that they press retry.
Will

<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Sounds good to me.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:57 pm

I've uploaded the new release. Aside from reordering online sources, I have re-written most the code that manage network communication so that they work properly during screen rotates. The next update will include the remaining ones being fixed. While this doesn't do that much on the user side except for the progress spinner being updated correctly, it reduces memory usage/prevents some memory leeks, which is always a good thing. There are some new strings that will need to be translated, so if you have been helping out, please update your locale.

Code:
==== 1.3 ====
*Fixed #22: Rotating the screen resets the initial load
*Fixed #38: Progress spinner doesn't get shown after rotating during an update
*Added #56: Reorder Online Sources - Please read the warning that is shown on first use
*Added more information to the progress bar shown when loading
*Internal changes to reduce memory usage
*Minor fixes

Edit thanks to the user that found a bug in the metadata settings page. Not sure how i missed that one. Thats fixed in 1.3.1 which i've just uploaded.
Will

<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Just tested it - All working very good!

Finally my Online list is reordered the way i like it!! :D
Thanks Will!
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:22 am

Xmantium wrote:Just tested it - All working very good!

Finally my Online list is reordered the way i like it!! :D
Thanks Will!

Awsome :)

I've uploaded a new update, this finishes off the internal restructuring that I started in 1.3. I've tried to test this properly as it invloved quite a few changes, hopefully I haven't missed anything.
  Code:
==== 1.3.2 ====
*Fixed #53: Disconnecting from a server will result in a failed to connect error if a refresh is running
*Progress spinner is now shown when sending the command to refresh an online source
*Finished implementing the memory improvement changes started in 1.3
*Translation updates

All the known rotation, network and progress display bugs are now hopefully fixed. There are some other bugs, which i'm working on, althought they are proving quite a pain. As for features, I have a few things planned for the future, plus Serviio 1.0 support is going to be quite big, and I'm going to start to look at adding serviidb support now that the API is starting to take shape.

One thing I've been thinking about which I would like some feedback on, is a donate/pro version. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a 'donate' version rather than a pro version, because I feel that everything in the app at the moment should be available to users. I don't think this app has a place for ads either, so I don't intend on adding them at the moment. So my current plan is to add a paid donate key app to the market. When it isn't installed, aka 'free version mode', an extra menu icon/preference entry will appear in the app that says 'Donate', which will take you to google play. When it is installed, it will say 'Donate version' on the prefernces/sever selection view/about box. I could have a 'do you want to donate' popup every 30 days or so, but I personally find them annoying, I might have one after the first 30 days (to give the user a change to try the app) which then never comes back. The donate version would be something like £1.00. Any thoughts on this?
Will

<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 am

will wrote:One thing I've been thinking about which I would like some feedback on, is a donate/pro version. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a 'donate' version rather than a pro version, because I feel that everything in the app at the moment should be available to users. I don't think this app has a place for ads either, so I don't intend on adding them at the moment. So my current plan is to add a paid donate key app to the market. When it isn't installed, aka 'free version mode', an extra menu icon/preference entry will appear in the app that says 'Donate', which will take you to google play. When it is installed, it will say 'Donate version' on the prefernces/sever selection view/about box. I could have a 'do you want to donate' popup every 30 days or so, but I personally find them annoying, I might have one after the first 30 days (to give the user a change to try the app) which then never comes back. The donate version would be something like £1.00. Any thoughts on this?

I hate the popups that happen all the time, but I think the first 30 day popup would not be a bother. I think $1.30 which is the current conversion of the £1.00 would be a good donation on how useful the app is. Now that I am developing my site, I see how much time and effort go into creating a program.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:35 pm

I think keep just one app on the market, easier for you to monitor number of downloads.
Have an option to "Donate" in the about section or action button popup. These can disappear once user donated.
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:40 pm

There will be two apps, however, it would be the main one which everybody downloads plus the optional donate 'key' app ~20KB that is a paid app which the main app checks for.
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Ok thanks for your feedback, I went with as minimal as possiable, just a menu item button and no pop ups. I've uploaded a new version with support for the new donate key, which should be available in a bit. I'm not expecting much, but at least making back the cost of the developer account would be nice (selling 25 donate keys).

Code:
==== 1.3.3 ====
*Added support for the new donate key
*Translation updates
Will

<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Just purchased the donate key, it did remove the donate button, does that mean I got two apps installed or does it patch the original ServiiDroid apk?
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:34 am

Thanks. You have two apps installed, while you can provide and execute code form other apps signed with the same key, there isn't much point for this so the key app contains no code, no activities, and no launcher (so no icon in the app draw). All that happens is I ask android's package manager if both apps are installed and signed with the same key.
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:35 am

I'm concluding my bank holiday weekend coding session with one more update. The upnp library used to crash if it found a device with a https control address, i've patched and recompiled part of the library and this should now be fixed, however as I don't have a device which causes this problem, I can't prove that it works. As for the FC on ICS, i'm 95% sure this is a platform bug, i'm looking into how I can work around it, but it will probably take a while.

Code:
==== 1.3.4 ====
*Fixed #49: UPnP search library crashes if the user has a device that advertises that it is on https
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:18 am

Just a quick update now that Serviio 1.0 Beta 1 has been released to testers. The current version of ServiiDroid works fine with this beta so you can ignore the connection warning. The only thing missing is the 'Remote' tab and some extended application info (but that isn't presented in the console yet). As I cannot tell the difference between different beta/rc versions, I will always only ever support the latest version, so If you use ServiiDroid and are a beta tester, make sure you update through each release as it comes out.

As there is only one thing missing, I will upload it later this weekend once i've finished working on some other parts of this app unless anyone really wants access to that setting today.
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:08 pm

I am getting ready to release version 1.4. This will bring about a big new feature, support for searching for and adding content from ServiiDB.com. This is still in early development, and there are a number of known issues (and proably lots of undiscovered ones) and missing features, but this will make adding online sources a lot better. So please sign up for ServiiDB.com and add some content, Xmantium has already added a large part of 4oD. Then once I release the update (tonight at the earliest, but it depends on when moltra can get the remaining breaking changes done), give it a really really good test and send me lots of feedback. Some points in particular.

1) On large screens / landscape if there is enough room, you should get a split screen view, if you don't when you should, do when you shouldn't, or the list of titles takes up too much or too little of the available space, please post with app version, android vesion, screen size, orientation, device, if you know it dpi level, e.g. hdpi, and optionally a screen shot if it is a case of the list of titles being a not very good size. Android 3.1 and below devices are the most likely to have this problem.

2) Adding an online source shows a progress dialog that blocks interactions and you have to add them one at a time, in later versions you this will not block the UI and i'll hopefully set it up so that you can select multiple sources and add them in one go.

3) Rotating while adding is a little flaky, the app shouldn't crash, but the ui might not update properly, pressing add, or navigating should fix it.

4) Not all of the data from serviidb is displayed yet e.g. ratings, resolution, install count (depending on how thigns go, I might add it in time for the first release)

5) I fetch all the (matching the search query) items from the API at once, in future I will might need to change it to load them in blocks, but it doesn't seem to cause a problem at the moment.

6) the start screen when in split screen is boring, i'll add some graphic/serviidb logo there.

7) recent searches aren't saved

8) I probably need to add a second line to the titles to show the plugin name or region if searching worldwide to help show the difference for shows that are found twice

I will not be uploading the strings for translation just yet, as they will proably need changing. In addition to working on the above, future updates will add being able to use templates for building custom urls, and eventually, adding content to serviidb from the app and rating it.

So lots of feedback on the above, along with any issues/suggestions for the ui or functionallity.

Here are some screenshots so you can give some intial feedback on the UI.
device-2012-04-15-135241.png
Phone with normal two activity mode
device-2012-04-15-135241.png (49.05 KiB) Viewed 14243 times

device-2012-04-15-135959.png
Tablet with split view mode
device-2012-04-15-135959.png (31.34 KiB) Viewed 14243 times
Last edited by will on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will

<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Very cool! :D

Can i also view via plugin?
example Add Source -> Via Plugin -> 4oD -> [full list of 4oD programmes]
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Once moltra implements it, the default will match against plugin name or title, with an option to search against just titles or plugin name. So you will be able to type 4oD into the box and get a list of all shows.
Will

<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:03 pm

I fixed the sorting, I was sorting on the wrong field.

I am working on the search against plugin name or title, I am going to add all the other fields at the same time so it is taking me a little longer.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

PreviousNext

Return to Third-party tools integration