FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ServiiDroid (Android Console) - Get it on Google Play

<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:04 pm

Re: ServiiDroid (Android Console) - Now on the Android Marke

Will, can ServiiDroid update the "actual" DNLA Server name if a user changes it?

i usually edit the profile.xml to change the <FriendlyName> of Server to simply "Serviio" (so all my DNLA devices say "Serviio" as this is my main server), when i press refresh on ServiiDroid it still says my Server is called "Serviio [Xmantium QNAP]"

I realise you can edit Server name via Swith Server, or my prefered method is to delete this server from the list and search again to add it on (this comes with correct server name)
Possibly a user option
Server Name
- Actual DNLA Server Name
- ServiiDroid Server Name

What do you think? if your happy i'll add it on bitbucket, its not very important as i dont think many users change their DNLA server name via profile.xml file
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

campanij

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:56 am

Good Day,

I've just installed ServiiDroid (also pretty new to Serviio, BTW). Please forgive me if this answer is posted elsewhere.

My Windows 7 x64 software firewall (Eset Smart Security) is blocking connections from ServiiDroid on my home network. Disabling the firewall allows connection. Could you tell me the specific port(s) and respective protocols that need to be allowed through for communication? I did open ports I saw noted in the Serviio FAQ and related postings for individual testing - each to no avail.

Looks like a great product - I will purchase a paid version if it becomes available.

Thank you in advance for your time.

John
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:24 am

Xmantium wrote:Will, can ServiiDroid update the "actual" DNLA Server name if a user changes it?

i usually edit the profile.xml to change the <FriendlyName> of Server to simply "Serviio" (so all my DNLA devices say "Serviio" as this is my main server), when i press refresh on ServiiDroid it still says my Server is called "Serviio [Xmantium QNAP]"

I realise you can edit Server name via Swith Server, or my prefered method is to delete this server from the list and search again to add it on (this comes with correct server name)
Possibly a user option
Server Name
- Actual DNLA Server Name
- ServiiDroid Server Name

What do you think? if your happy i'll add it on bitbucket, its not very important as i dont think many users change their DNLA server name via profile.xml file

I can only get the name you assign to serviio via profiles.xml when I do a UPnP search which is why it was set to "Serviio [Xmantium QNAP]". I cannot get that information via the REST API which is why deleting the server works because you then get the app to search for it again and it will get the new name.

With that in mind, I'm not sure how you would want this implemented. I do not want to have to do a UPnP search everytime to find updated names as that takes time (anything from 10-30 seconds if there are lots of devices on the network) and excess battery. I guess I could have a long click action called 'Update information' but you might as well just press delete and update, its the same thing (you will get re-notified if serviio found files on the last check).

Surely once you have changed your server's name once, then you aren't going to keep changing it? Which is what I planned for, rather than lots of changes.

Did you think the information was available over the REST API? From my point of view, the easiest (and cleanest) implementation for this would be for Zip to add the name to the REST API under /application.

campanij wrote:Good Day,

I've just installed ServiiDroid (also pretty new to Serviio, BTW). Please forgive me if this answer is posted elsewhere.

My Windows 7 x64 software firewall (Eset Smart Security) is blocking connections from ServiiDroid on my home network. Disabling the firewall allows connection. Could you tell me the specific port(s) and respective protocols that need to be allowed through for communication? I did open ports I saw noted in the Serviio FAQ and related postings for individual testing - each to no avail.

Looks like a great product - I will purchase a paid version if it becomes available.

Thank you in advance for your time.

John

Hi, glad you like it. Sorry I should have added that to the FAQ. ServiiDroid talks to Serviio over port 23423.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

bertie

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:37 am

Brilliant tool, congratulations and thanks for producing it. It notified me that there was an update available for Serviio which is brilliant.

Would it be possible to incorporate a password when connecting from an android device, realise this may mean changes to the server side of things also and is obviously something for the future releases of Serviio & ServiioDroid.

Thanks again.
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:14 pm

That would require support from Serviio. What is the reason you want a password? It might be more suitable once zip implements PIN protected folders.

Answer is, I'm happy to implement things, but it is up to zip to add it to the server first.
Will

<<

bertie

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:48 pm

Reason for password ( couldn't figure out how to quote on tablet :-) ) is basic paranoia! Also the fact my offspring have android devices and may just copy dad and download the software and play with settings.

Not a must have but would be good to have.

Thanks again for a great app. :D
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:10 pm

@will - is it not possible to do upnp search on current ip address or you have to do full search?

@Bertie - you can get free third party apps that can put passwords on the apps of your choice, Smart App Protector is a popular one, keeps my wife away from seeing my facebook app ;)
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Xmantium wrote:@will - is it not possible to do upnp search on current ip address or you have to do full search?

Not really, you have to begin searching and wait while you find devices and then connect. I guess I might be able to try to connect directly, but not sure.

@Bertie - you can get free third party apps that can put passwords on the apps of your choice, Smart App Protector is a popular one, keeps my wife away from seeing my facebook app ;)

I think he ment more that they would install ServiiDroid on their android devices and therefore wants optional authentication before serviio responds to REST actions. Something will have to be implemented for the PIN protected folders, but to the extent you want is largely unlikely. Having said that, as there are future plans to allow streaming over the internet via REST, that would benifit from authentication so we shall have to see.
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:36 pm

I've uploaded a new version, some tiny fixes but the main addition is another translation so thank you to those who are supplying them :)
  Code:
==== 1.1.2 ====
*Fixed some spelling mistakes
*Added Hungarian (Hungary) translation - thanks to mavika
*Small bug fixes
Will

<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:38 pm

ahhh.... I see what he means... Never really thought about that

about my issue, best to leave it, its a feature I don't think any Serviio user will have an issue with
can't wait to install Android on my TouchPad to see how ServiiDroid looks!
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Hmmm all you guys with your tablets and high end phones, my little wildfire is jellous.
Will

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:20 pm

ok tried the profile editing on new version now when i try and change profile the server disconnects and reconnect and profile doesnt change.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:50 am

Yep i've reproduced it and filled the issue, although I have not tracked it down yet.

@xperia can't find your username on the forum :?:

Can you PM me so that I can try and fix the crashes you are having. (They are the same that a few other users are expiriencing) Is it happening everytime you use the app, or just some of the times. Is it when you just start using the app, or is it when you come back to the app much later on? Do you have any shared folders/online sources added? Its apears to me to be another case of the data should be there, but now it isn't.
Will

<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:01 pm

I've uploaded a new release that fixes changing existing device profiles. I've also added some extra code/checks to help hunt down the causes for the remaining force closes.

Code:
==== 1.1.3 ====
*Fixed #36: Changing the profile of existing devices doesn't work
*Attempted to fix some rare force closes
Will

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm

will wrote:I've uploaded a new release that fixes changing existing device profiles. I've also added some extra code/checks to help hunt down the causes for the remaining force closes.

Code:
==== 1.1.3 ====
*Fixed #36: Changing the profile of existing devices doesn't work
*Attempted to fix some rare force closes

hmm im not being informed of updates :( and i have auto update on :(
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

maltmoose

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:10 am

seems to be working fine on my wildfire, notified of an update as well to latest version 1.1.3? using lots of vids, music & online sources
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 am

Yep 1.1.3 is the latest (I'll always post it in here /on the changelog on bitbucket). There isn't really anything I can do to troubbleshoot market problems, usual is clean the markets cache, or go into serviidroid directly and see if it gives you an update.

I have two classes of problems outstanding at the moment. One is related to data not being there anymore and honestly, i'm a bit confused so might take me a while to figure out why.

The second is due to users deleting something, ie a device, and then trying modify another before the app has finished updating the data (and then hense modifies the wrong one/one that doesn't exist now as the indexes have changed by the time they commit their second change).
I was aware of this, but hopped most people would release this and wait. I think the best way to solve this is to put up a 'please wait' progess dialog during this to prevent this from happening. Another solution with be to set a variable while modifying items, and not allow any subsequent moddifications of the same type. E.g. you can delete a device and then go and change a shared folder, but cannnot delete two devices in a row, (or a shared folder and online source as they share a REST object) without waiting for the first opperation to finish. I think I would prefer the user expirence for this one as you will only be foreced to wait if you do things too quickly.

EDIT: I think I've worked out everything I need to do to fix the problems. However there is a hacky 30 min way or a nicer 3-5 hour way. I'm going to try and do this one properlly, so I'll have a go at it at the weekend and try and get it released by monday, however no promises as this may take longer than I've planned.
Will

<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:58 pm

This has done very well on Android Market, 1000-5000 downloads in last 30 days!! :shock:

This app may bring users from other naff media servers to serviio.
I know I've converted! :geek:
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Its been out for 12 days and acording to my stats (which are upto 24+ hours old) its currently on 1,787 and it got to 1000 in under a week of being on the market. Downloads have been pretty steady at 100+ a day (200+ when posted on facebook and the day after 0.6.2), but will start to level off a bit soon I guess. Also averaging 4.951 / 5 so very positive reviews, overall i'm very happy with it.

Hopefully users can write apps for other platforms and yes having high quality apps will be a nice + for serviio in addition to the webui's and all of serviio's other great features. Hows your WP7 one going?
Will

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 pm

will wrote:Its been out for 12 days and acording to my stats (which are upto 24+ hours old) its currently on 1,787 and it got to 1000 in under a week of being on the market. Downloads have been pretty steady at 100+ a day (200+ when posted on facebook and the day after 0.6.2), but will start to level off a bit soon I guess. Also averaging 4.951 / 5 so very positive reviews, overall i'm very happy with it.

Congrats! I was just looking 10 minutes ago - it must be the highest rated app on the marketplace, right? ;-)

Hopefully users can write apps for other platforms and yes having high quality apps will be a nice + for serviio in addition to the webui's and all of serviio's other great features. Hows your WP7 one going?

That would be great. One of the reasons there is an open API is to get some alternatives to how users interact with the application and removes the need of having additional controls on the TV menu for example. Imagine how easy it'll be to turn on/off restricted access to folders on the phone - just enter the PIN and there you go :-)
PreviousNext

Return to Third-party tools integration