FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Plugin selection mechanism

<<

hiviking

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:41 am

Plugin selection mechanism

The plugin implementation guide says under method extractorMatches:

"For each feed which needs a plugin Serviio tries to match all available plugins to the feed's URL by
calling this method and uses the first plugin that returns true."

This method has the effect that you cannot display a YouTube link unless the link is in a YouTube feed URL. One of the problems with YouTube feeds is that the items are not listed in time order. When you list a feed in Internet Explorer the items will be listed in descending time order. Serviio, however, lists the first 10 items in the feed (when you have selected 10 items to retrieve) and not the 10 most recent items. This is easy to fix in Yahoo Pipes with the "Sort" module, but unfortunately Serviio will not process the Yahoo Pipes link, and I believe it is because it won't select the required YouTube plugin. The same is the case if I upload a YouTube feed XML file to my own website.

So, I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to select the plugins based on the media URLs in the feed. This would also allow you to construct a feed with media links that require the use of different plugins.

[If anybody is interested to check this out I used this feed as an example: http://www.youtube.com/rss/tag/alex+honnold.rss, and the sorted feed from Yahoo Pipes can be found at http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_ ... render=rss.]
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: Plugin selection mechanism

No, it would be very difficult to match by the content link... there can be many (default, alternate, thumbnail, etc).

Your best bet is to manually edit the plugin's matches method to fit your need.
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Plugin selection mechanism

Explorer displays YouTube's implementation of requests. Serviio uses the YouTube api to make requests, so you need to add the necessary parameters to contain/order the feed results you want.

Return to Plugin development