FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Creating of "Sub"Sections

<<

emac

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Creating of "Sub"Sections

Hi,

actually I am wondering if there is the possibility to create sub categories ? Well why I am asking? - I am currently thinking about the development of a new ARD-Mediathek Plugin - One which allows me to access the complete content...

The number of available Streams is very large and I want to be able to create sub sections (or even sub sub sections) which will group the different available content.

I am a long term java developer (not very familiar with groovy yet) - before I am starting to invest way more time into this project I want to know if the serviio plugin engine is supporting sub section creation - I haven't seen anything like that in the plugin dev guide...

If it's currently not supported - any plans to add this functionality? Or is there a way to help with the development? - Please excuse if this have been asked - I was not able to find it here in the forum.

Kind Regards
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: Creating of "Sub"Sections

Hi, not, folders are not supported yet. There is an open ticket, will see when I get around to implementing it.
<<

emac

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 am

When I have understood the core concept right, then the metadata of a OnlineItem will be fetched during server start (each time) in contrast to local items where the information is stored in the Derby DB.

I understand that supporting Folders for Online Ressources will be a big change internally - and I would understand that you have more important things to develop right now. On the other hand I actually want a large Online Mediathek (with plenty of channels ans subsections) inside serviio (or better I want to select on my TV the different streams - instead of picking it first at the PC, adjust my serviio config and then watch the episode... even if I can do that - it's nothing my kids can do - nor my wife)...

So I am thinking more into the direction of having a special file in the file system - once this file is read some additional java code could be called, that then generates the appropriate Database Objects (e.g. media_item and more) [of course this additional code have to support "new media", "update media" and "remove media"...

Actually I would like to ask you, if you are willing to support a 3'rd party developer to integrate new/additional functionality? I can understand that you need way more additional information about this subject - as well as additional information about myself [beside the fact that I am quite a old guy and started with java since JDK 1.1.3].

But before I am going to continue I would like to know your opinion, how do you feel about having another person looking into some classes of your server code? It might require to make some small changes in order to support a different type of online resources - but currently I think it should be possible.

As forum admin you have the ability to access my eMail address of the forum - feel free to contact me directly.

TIA for your consideration
Matthias
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:22 am

Online content / feeds are very volatile, that's the reason why it's not going into the DB - they tend to expire often. Obviously that won't work very well for your aim to scrape the whole catalog of a content provider.

The EULA enables you to change the code, but only for your own use. I'm currently not looking for any other devs, but thanks for the offer.

Return to Plugin development