FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PC Desktop sharing (with audio) via DLNA

<<

milkywayer

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 27, 2013 3:10 am

PC Desktop sharing (with audio) via DLNA

It'd be great if like TeamViewer / Splashtop apps (which share you pc desktop with other PCs by streaming a live 'video' of the host screen) - if serviio can stream the desktop (with audio) via DLNA, it'd be great to use the TV as an additional media output/ external monitor without the added clutter for more cables (as most TVs come with Wifi).

Edit: Someone mentioned Wiled Media Server offering this feature, I am goign to try that soon.

Thank you
Sony Bravia 2012 46HX750 |
Sony PS3 Slim Model 3004 |
Desktop with i5-2500k and GTX460 |
Laptop with i7-3517u with Radeon 8730M
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon May 27, 2013 4:27 am

Re: PC Desktop sharing (with audio) via DLNA

See the wiki
<<

milkywayer

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 27, 2013 8:45 am

I looked into the wiki, I remember having gone through this tutorial about 3 months or so ago but failed to make it work. Forgot about it, going to give it a try. Here's hoping zip can integrate the functionality into serviio itself as there are several 3rd party utilities needed with the way the tutorial does it.
http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=stream_pc
Sony Bravia 2012 46HX750 |
Sony PS3 Slim Model 3004 |
Desktop with i5-2500k and GTX460 |
Laptop with i7-3517u with Radeon 8730M
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue May 28, 2013 11:13 am

No chance of that happening
<<

sake

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:54 pm

Guys, I followed the wiki here: https://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=stream_pc_vlc3

And I managed to make it work! I am quite happy about it I have to admit it.

However, there is a certain lag while I am watching a live stream. The live stream is perfect on my Laptop screen (quality/smoothness), however it is not that smooth on the TV. Is that normal or I need a certain "optimization" (better rendering settings or smth like that)? :roll:

P.S. I know that it is normal the TV screen to be lagging behind and I am just fine with that. I am only about the "smoothness" here.
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:40 pm

Maybe your network is too slow? Are the server and dlna device at the the tv wired to the network or connecting wirelessly? Sounds like lantency to me, those powerline or phoneline adapters are slow too and cause the same buffering. It only happened once but I experience this problem on every movie I had one day and went to the server (was windows) and deleted ethernet driver and let windows update do it again and everything worked faster than ever, I guess it had become corrupt or something about it was causing bottleneck in my house's bandwidth.
<<

sake

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:49 pm

freaknik wrote:Maybe your network is too slow? Are the server and dlna device at the the tv wired to the network or connecting wirelessly? Sounds like lantency to me, those powerline or phoneline adapters are slow too and cause the same buffering. It only happened once but I experience this problem on every movie I had one day and went to the server (was windows) and deleted ethernet driver and let windows update do it again and everything worked faster than ever, I guess it had become corrupt or something about it was causing bottleneck in my house's bandwidth.

Hi there and thanks for the input.

Everything in my home setup is wired. I achieve 100/100 speeds (external of course, but I am just mentioning this, because I do believe that my hardware is good enough for those kind of speeds). Moreover, I play 1080p/2160p through my Serviio DLNA server, so everything should be working just fine from this perspective.

My drivers are the latest ones. Are there any special settings (buffering ones for example that I would need to tweak)? I don`t care if the picture on my TV is smaller. I particularly care about the smoothness.

Return to Feature requests