FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Transcoding "Matches" with video bitrate

<<

jsbbs

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:44 am

Transcoding "Matches" with video bitrate

Now this feature request is really to work-around a known hardware limitation of the Samsung Smart TVs. See the Stuttering Video section over at http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/DLNA_format_Requirements for their explanation.

Is it possible to include the video bitrate as a "Matches" criteria ?

For example,

<Transcoding>
<Video maxVBitrate="4096">
<Matches vBitrateGreaterThan="8192" />
</Video>
</Transcoding>

(BTW: I understand this may require some really powerful computing power to support this!)
<<

selmixxx

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:07 pm

Re: Transcoding "Matches" with video bitrate

same thing would be interesting also for transcoding for lowend android devices or generally when wifi is used
<<

mjb

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:48 am

I, too, would like to see this feature implemented, and I see bandwidth-related comments in profiles.xml which indicate I am not the only one.

I am finding it difficult to use Serviio to stream to a Samsung Blu-Ray player which supports 1080p H.264 level 4.1, but which also requires that the video stream stay under ~15 Mbps. Some of my 1080p or 720p video files stay under this limit, but some do not. The best I can do right now is transcode all H.264 levels greater than 3.1, but this inevitably results in transcoding things which don't need it.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:45 am

mjb wrote:I, too, would like to see this feature implemented, and I see bandwidth-related comments in profiles.xml which indicate I am not the only one.

I am finding it difficult to use Serviio to stream to a Samsung Blu-Ray player which supports 1080p H.264 level 4.1, but which also requires that the video stream stay under ~15 Mbps. Some of my 1080p or 720p video files stay under this limit, but some do not. The best I can do right now is transcode all H.264 levels greater than 3.1, but this inevitably results in transcoding things which don't need it.

I am surprised that any Blu Ray player would be incapable of playing a bitstream higher than 15 Mbps. Since they have to handle a far higher bitrate from a BD disc, it seems strange. My Sony BD player has no issues, and a previous Samsung BD player was also fine. Even my current model Roku players can handle bitrates in excess of 40 Mbps. Are you certain you don't have network issues?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

mjb

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:43 am

atc98092 wrote:I am surprised that any Blu Ray player would be incapable of playing a bitstream higher than 15 Mbps. Are you certain you don't have network issues?

Yes, been down that road already while diagnosing a different issue (PCM in an MPEG container plays choppily, ended up giving up on that and just transcoding that combo always). I got a better router, and of course tried wired & wireless...no difference. They just skimped on something in this player (BD-C6500, a cheapo model from 2010) is all I can figure.

Return to Feature requests