FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

popcorn subtitles

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Re: popcorn subtitles

pefri wrote:Hi atc98092,

Thank you so much for guiding me to the profiles. :)

PCH is to me what Roku is to you.
Therefore, may I also keep Plex installed until Serviio will serve to my PCH. But I would like to turn transcoding off and can't find a Plex GUI option to turn it off.

May I ask you the off-topic question how it could be achieved by tweaking a Plex profile, i.e. the PCH profile?
I would be very happy about a PM answer.

I sincerely hope that Zip will find and implement a solution for Serviio PCH support soon.

Regards

PM sent
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

pefri

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi atc98092,

Thanks for your PM! :)
It inspired me to further investigations with results that raise new questions.

Results:
1. llinc DOS-box server serves better to PCH than Plex!
2. In llinc.conf I find these comments:
"# Transcoding options. Note that NMT/Syabas/Sigma players can generally
# play all formats so they do not need any transocding. (And indeed, can not
# play streams anyway)"
-> PCH does not need pre-transcoding! PCH can play all media files.
-> PCH needs to get the FILES served not the streams!

Questions:
Is this the secret of llinc and older servers?
-> Serving files instead of demuxed streams?
-> Not asking GetProtocolInfo which PCH does not answer? But simply sending the files to player?

How does it Serviio?
-> What leads to "Could not play" response from PCH (which is known to play all formats not needing transcoding) ???

Why refuse most DLNA servers to present in selection menus media files including file extensions?
llinc presents full filenames "lake.mp4", "lake.mov", "lake.flv" :)
and not only meaningless "lake", "lake", "lake" :( ?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:01 pm

pefri wrote:Hi atc98092,

Thanks for your PM! :)
It inspired me to further investigations with results that raise new questions.

Results:
1. llinc DOS-box server serves better to PCH than Plex!
2. In llinc.conf I find these comments:
"# Transcoding options. Note that NMT/Syabas/Sigma players can generally
# play all formats so they do not need any transocding. (And indeed, can not
# play streams anyway)"
-> PCH does not need pre-transcoding! PCH can play all media files.
-> PCH needs to get the FILES served not the streams!

Questions:
Is this the secret of llinc and older servers?
-> Serving files instead of demuxed streams?
-> Not asking GetProtocolInfo which PCH does not answer? But simply sending the files to player?

How does it Serviio?
-> What leads to "Could not play" response from PCH (which is known to play all formats not needing transcoding) ???

Why refuse most DLNA servers to present in selection menus media files including file extensions?
llinc presents full filenames "lake.mp4", "lake.mov", "lake.flv" :)
and not only meaningless "lake", "lake", "lake" :( ?

Last question first: I believe that the folder view option will show the full file name, including extension. I don't use that option, so can't confirm for sure. My players will show the type of file, as long as they are not being transcoded (these files show what they will be transcoded to).

The could not play response will need to be answered by someone with more knowledge than I. However, they will likely need to see the mediainfo for an unplayable file. They may also want to see a detailed log when you attempt to play it.

The remainder of your questions appear to be Linux specific, and while I have some background with it, I have absolutely none dealing with media. My Linux boxes at work don't even support audio, and are highly specialized. They don't let me tinker much with them any more. The government has removed most of our administrative rights from field facilities. They want someone centrally located to screw them up! :lol:
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:01 pm

It looks like the protocol is different to UPnP, where you give the client a http:// address of the file, but Plex seems to hack it to give the Samba file path instead, which the NMT requires. Will check the profile again.

Edit: The profile doesn't say anything about that and looks like the Generic profile should work for at least some basic files. Obviously the Samba hack could be in the code, rather than in the profile.
<<

pefri

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:40 pm

atc98092 wrote:...
The could not play response will need to be answered by someone with more knowledge than I. However, they will likely need to see the mediainfo for an unplayable file. They may also want to see a detailed log when you attempt to play it. ...
...They want someone centrally located...

Thank you very much. You taught my a lot! And again focus me to the important parts. :D

Mediainfo: absolutely no video file plays when served by Serviio. Zip can take any mediainfo of any arbitrary YouTube mp4.

Detailed log: Starting with my intial post here on page 1, Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:58 pm, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1557 and following email conversation I already provided this data to Zip some time ago.

You are absolutely right, we need Zip, we need someone centrally located within Serviio server, to solve the problem. ;)
(Plex, llink, Nero MediaHome 4, myiHome indicate that it is possible.)

That done will boost the usability of Serviio server a lot!
It will allow to play many HD videos in full quality which is not yet possible even with Chromecast!

Furthermore, it will allow to command all media playing via a simple phone app, BubbleUPnP, which can route Serviio server magic untranscoded to renderers (e.g. BSPlayer, MXPlayer, ...) on the phone/tab, but also untranscoded to PCH and, with optional automatic pre-transcoding, to Chromecast and to Samsung SmartTV, etc.

Modern times ahead! But first, Zip will need to find some spare time to perform his central serviio magic. Let's wait and see!
<<

zip

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:55 pm

<<

pefri

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:47 pm

What should I try?
Can't find a beta for curing these 2 pending tickets.
Edit:
Disable thumbnails could by worth trying. (All the years I never saw real thumbnails from actual footage in PCH folders and files selection menus. Thus, PCH may not like thumbnail data and does not know how to ignore it if provided.)
Last edited by pefri on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

zip

Post Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:51 pm

It looks like it's the thumbnails causing the issue. So try to disable them in the console, add or remove + add a file and try to play it then. (the file should not have any thumbnail when browsing on the TV)
<<

pefri

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:01 pm

Edit:
I already did my part! To no avail!
Since I started to use serviio server, last year, I have Metadata (Generate thumbnails, etc.) completely disabled (unchecked).
Same in Library: "M" unchecked!
What else could I do?

Edit:
All my previous and current postings describe the problems inspite of Metada, Thumbnails OFF, disabled in Serviio console!
My priority is to watch my media data and not glittery meta data! (See screenshots)

I am afraid, its Serviio's turn to make the next step to success.
Attachments
ALL Metadata is disabled.rar
(77.41 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
<<

zip

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:06 am

Ok, can you post detailed log of playing the file? I don't see it anywhere in this topic.
<<

pefri

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Re: popcorn subtitles - Play on PCH?

zip wrote:Ok, can you post detailed log of playing the file? I don't see it anywhere in this topic.

Last October we had a similar conversation in another thread
"How to play a full (removable USB) disk with Samsung F-Type"
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14384
and then I uploaded similar test descriptions and logs to my Google Drive.

Now you will find detailed log and more on Dropbox (link in PM).
Includes: detailed commented log, GetProtocolInfo results, Serviio Console settings and windows source folder content, As seen on PCH screen photos of test (Size: 1,17 MB results + 7,90 MB windows folder)

Attached the commented log.

Thank you very much for your help! :)
Attachments
serviio log (with comment).rar
(19.32 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
<<

jhneyalia

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:48 am

Old post but still very helpful to the million of users, Popcorn Time Chromecast

Thanks
Previous

Return to Feature requests