FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Pause Automatic Library Updates

<<

bassmadrigal

Serviio lover

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm

Pause Automatic Library Updates

Me again... :)

Recently I have started doing some gaming again on my main computer (which is where Serviio is installed). One thing I noticed when I first started gaming is that my games would get really choppy every so often, then it would take a minute or so, and then would be back to normal, but then it would happen again.

I quickly realized that it is because serviio is going and updating its library. So I went into the console and stopped the server. I went back and played some more today and the same thing happened, so when it started, I minimized the game and looked at one of the gadgets on the desktop that shows the highest cpu using processes. And the ServiioService.exe was the one at the top of the list. I then realized that stopping the server only prevents any dlna devices from picking it up, but the indexing service still runs in the background.

Is there a way to temporarily turn that off? I normally enjoy it running and finding new videos automatically, but it doesn't work very well when I am trying to do a gaming session where every frame counts. Maybe as a right-click option on serviio console to "Pause Updating".

I really hope you don't see my posts as nitpicking. On the contrary. I have been through a lot of different DLNA servers (PMS and ushare including the patched versions are the ones I used the most) trying to get content to my 360. Some of them work fairly well, but yours is quite a bit ahead just with the polling of the online databases. I am truly grateful for this software, and I just want to do my part (since I know no programming other than html/php and some bash) and give you suggestions on, what I feel, will keep this software above the rest. I am really excited to see your upcoming .4 version (probably should send you a PM to try out the beta), because transcoding was the one thing I severely missed from PS3MediaServer, but I don't miss the multitude of bugs that came with the software, which is why I ended up moving back to ushare. Then I found this little gem, and I will probably never look at another one.

Again, I just wanted to thank you for the great job you are doing.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Re: Pause Automatic Library Updates

There is something similar planned for 0.4. The library update performance issue is one of my top priorities for the nearest releases.

And please, please, keep those requests comming :-)

Return to Feature requests