Start (ignore) Servio service on Console start

<<

DIXXX

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Start (ignore) Servio service on Console start

Hi! Mistakingly posted this issue to bitbucket.org
The issue -

As we have Server status and Start\Stop buttons I propose to start (ignoreif ON) Serviio service when Console starts from the shortcut or exe. There could be Automatic Service start (and ignore when running) or there could be the button on the Console start screen - Start Serviio Service. I think first option is better.
The screen telling that the service is not available is annoying and not informative without option to start such service (and you should go for .exe search). Or service will be always ON if files are not damaged. We can add check - if doesnt work - post your serviio must be reinstalled from, etc
Thank you
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Re: Start (ignore) Servio service on Console start

Actually, the BitBucket location is the preferred place to post this, so no worries.

As you probably know, the Server on/off button on the console does not control the Serviio service, only the actual DLNA server function. As written, the console requires Serviio to be running to load. Your suggestion to make the console operate independently of the service has merit, but there might be deeper hooks in the program that just won't work accurately without the service running. It might require significant code rewrite that just doesn't justify the effort. Zip is the only person that can address that.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

DIXXX

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:40 am

Thank You for your reply! I am sorry for the late answer. The issue is as follows: imagine simple user as me, Serviio Service is not running and user tries to start Console... Yes it will not start. User should look for Sevice.exe somewere... What I actually proposed is Console PREpage start from the shortcut and exe - showing the state of the Service IF it is not running and the button to start that and automatically load Console after that. At the same time, if the Service IS running, Console starts ignoring that prepage.
I usually stop all unneeded services in Win 10, so it is the actual situation with the Console.
AS we look at the Start menu in Win 10, we see - Start serv, Stop serv, Open Console, Start Console, Open Media browser, Release notes, Readme, Uninstall. Well, I do not want to be perfectionist but it will be better to have just "Sart console" and maybe "Uninstall" shortcuts, all others running from the Console itself including Prepage as I described.
Thank You.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:09 pm

I understand what you desire, but I doubt it can be done the way the console currently works. The console is strictly web based, and no longer has an actual executable. If the Serviio service isn't running, the web page is unavailable, so there's nothing that can respond to your request for the console.

This might be somewhere that someone could write a small program that checks for a running service, and if it can't be found then offer the option you suggest, and if it is running then just start the console and close itself. I doubt Zip would want to do this, as he'd have to create one for multiple operating systems. But someone with the programming skills could certainly create one for Windows or Linux or even a Mac. It would fall under 3rd party apps.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

DIXXX

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:31 pm

OK, I understand. The programm that can start and stop Serviio service I use is "Serviio Win Helper 1.0.8" It also monitors and shows all streaming connections for Windows. Just great programm, the best in it is the ability to prevent Windows from sleep while streaming (only monitor goes off) - by the way, I do not know why Serviio cannot use the same commands against sleep, and how people use Serviio without such option. But anyway, not to push the issue,- I just wanted to simplify and make Serviio better (for Windows at least). Thank You for Your reply! Now just everything streams directly from the Win10, but Serviio gives me the chance to keep my ass on the sofa and use TV remote control, and I appreciate that (my 4 year old daughter also uses that option!!!).
So thank You all guys who work for this project!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:26 am

Zip gets all the credit for this great product. All I do is attempt to help users out in the areas I am familiar with.

I completely understand your desire. As I said, ZIp might not want to develop a starter app that works across platforms. While I have done some programming in the past, Java was never my forte!

I too love being able to control everything without getting off the couch. When I travel I would often hook my laptop up to the hotel TV so I didn't have to watch what they offered. But I always had to get up to control it. I bought a Roku Stick just for that purpose, so I can lay on the bed and watch what I want, when I want. I can't access my Serviio media when traveling with the Roku, but at least I can choose from Netflix, Amazon or YouTube and find something that fits my watching desires. :D

And Win Helper is one of those great 3rd party applications that just make Serviio even better!
Dan

Return to Feature requests