FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Suggestions

<<

bbking67

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Serviio Suggestions

I have used Serviio on and off for a few years now. Mainly because it worked pretty well with older sony Bravia Engine devices.

I've mostly moved on, but I have an idea for Serviio which could be really cool. The idea is to have a Serviio client for Android (many even iOS, but Android is more important).

Ideally the client would be compatible with builds of Android at least back to 4.0. The general idea is that the client should be configurable to use specific codecs. Likewise the server could be set up with a matching profile. That way media compatibility could be near 100%, even for very old android boxes and players.

I really think its a good idea... UIsing Kodi is very "heavy" and I find it flaky with DLNA compared to other players. Plus having a native supported player would be great... the player could be a source of revenue as well.

If successful, console clients could also be developed using the same idea. A Windows 10 store client would also be an option.

Anyway, that is my idea. Thanks for Serviio! It's the best DLNA server in my opinion!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Re: Serviio Suggestions

Actually, there is an Android client called ServiiGo (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6803). I believe it's optimized for phones and tablets.

But I'm not understanding why you have issues with Kodi. I have it on an Nvidia Shield, and it plays absolutely everything I have without transcoding, including WTV files. It support every audio codec, I watch 4K/HDR with Dolby TrueHD/Atmos perfectly. I have found I prefer the user interface with MrMC better than Kodi, but both play my media perfectly.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

bbking67

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Re: Serviio Suggestions

Personally I use Emby most of the time now, but I still use Kodi sometimes. I still used Serviio to feed my various Sony devices. The issues I have?

1. Kodi's DLNA implementation on Android is often flaky. Server not found errors. It's a common issue and I've seen it across devices.
2. Newer versions of Kodi require new versuions of Android.
3. Some hardware and codecs are not well supported
4. it's heavy if all you want to do is play remote content

Don't get me wrong I love Kodi... I've used it since the earliest XBMC days from my hacked Xbox. I've recently been using Emby (which has its own client) and there are some advantages... likewise with Plex. Personally I think Serviio is a better media server, but it does lack a proper client.

Now I havent heard of or used Serviigo... I'll give it a shot!

Return to Feature requests