FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

image ordering

<<

zack832

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 24, 2010 11:06 pm

image ordering

I've been using Serviio for about a year now and pretty much love it. That said, the one thing I have issues with is that it tends to reorder my image files. If I have a folder with images I've placed in a certain order, and want it to play on my tv that way using Serviio, many times it won't. Serviio looks at the embedded image data and places the oldest first, often not what I want. I would like a way to control this. Either used the modified date, as I do with my computer when I build a slide show, or some other method would be very useful.

Perhaps there is something I missed that will allow me to do this, if so please tell me...
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon May 24, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: image ordering

what is the order you would like? by file name?
<<

zack832

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 24, 2010 11:26 pm

No, I would like by date modified. When I build a slide show I add a copy of the files to a new folder, as each is added it gets a new mod. date, so that would work well for me.

In several cases I've had to download software to strip the embedded data from the images, a slow process if you have a lot of assorted images.

Thanks for the interest....
<<

zip

Post Wed May 26, 2010 8:25 pm

In my opinion it's more useful to get the date from the EXIF data for most users and situations, so will not be changing this feature. You could change your file names and that will then be used to sort the images in the folder view.
<<

zack832

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 26, 2010 11:20 pm

But for me it's not. Each file I add to the folder is renamed, yet when I go to view all the data is pulled from the EXIF file and dates from years ago are used and displayed on screen. All the media servers I've tried do this too. The only one that did not do this what a TiVo server from years ago.

I guess what I think would be ideal is an opt out option on EXIF info, I have no idea how hard that would be to implement.
<<

zip

Post Thu May 27, 2010 8:13 am

I will check the folder category ordering.
<<

zack832

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 28, 2010 7:38 pm

I just uninstalled version .4, found it totally unusable for my purposes. Never had an issue with previous versions. Found it was now sorting my images by name, regardless of when they were added. I generally build a set by adding images to a folder as I find them, and expect the last image added to be the last image displayed. No more with this version. I've even tried using an EXIF stripper.

I'll roll back to an earlier version where this problem was much lees an issue, while I look for another server that fills my needs a bit better. I simply want a server that will display my images in the order they are in my folder, I don't want one that makes decisions for me.

Update: The older version is working OK, after I strip the info from the images. Whatever you changed in the new version created a lot of issues for me.
<<

zip

Post Fri May 28, 2010 9:31 pm

I simply want a server that will display my images in the order they are in my folder, I don't want one that makes decisions for me.

Fair enough. Just so that you know, you can sort items in your folder by different columns, Serviio just picks one.

Update: The older version is working OK, after I strip the info from the images. Whatever you changed in the new version created a lot of issues for me.

The only change I did in regards to sorting images was: http://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/is ... older-view

You cannot please everyone...
<<

zack832

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 28, 2010 9:40 pm

I know the feeling...

Thanks for the update on my issues. When I sort my folder I have it set to sort by Date Modified, Descending. In the folder the order looks fine, with version .4 everything was jumbled. For now I'm sticking with .3.1, it pretty much does what I want with images and I had no luck with the transcoding of video files on the fly, even with a quad core processor.

BTW, I'm using a picky Samsung B series to view stuff on. Also the images took a very long time to load with ver. .4 vs. .3.1 with the older version the images snapped right in, v .4 took a few seconds to load each image.
<<

zip

Post Fri May 28, 2010 9:50 pm

zack832 wrote:I had no luck with the transcoding of video files on the fly, even with a quad core processor.

Any particular example?

Return to Feature requests