FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ReadyNAS Install - Is it Possible?

<<

sp4rxx

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 21, 2020 9:35 pm

ReadyNAS Install - Is it Possible?

I am currently upgrading from a tower PC "server" to a Netgear ReadyNAS 3138. The PC has Windows Home Server 2011 installed, along with Serviio and StableBit's Drive Pool. It has a 4TB, and 3 2TB NAS HDDs in it pooled as one drive. I am also a 'pro' owner of Serviio. For the actual NAS, I have 1 10TB drive, and after I transfer the data from my "server" to the NAS, I will be putting in the 4TB, and 2 of the 2TB drives into the NAS (yes, they are supported) - this, so they can all be pooled together as one massive drive.

I would rather not install PLEX because 1- I already own Serviio, and 2- I don't want to "subscribe" to PLEX to hear music or watch my media from a mobile device (Serviio App is free with ads, but I bought that too).

Will there be any support for the Netgear ReadyNAS infrastructure by way of installer file, OR is there a way to manipulate current installers for either Windows or other NAS devices to work on the ReadyNAS?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: ReadyNAS Install - Is it Possible?

I looked up the specs on the ReadyNAS, and it should have enough processing power for transcoding. The problem I would expect is the OS. It looks like they are using a modified version of Linux. It's possible that one of the other Linux-based NAS setups might work, such as the Synology or QNAP versions. But I don't have any idea what it takes to modify the Linux version of Serviio to work with a NAS device. Perhaps patters can assist, as he's the one that maintains the Synology version. The Serviio developer himself doesn't build the NAS versions to my knowledge.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Feature requests