FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

User Signing on DLNA Devices

<<

mike.clayton999

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:04 pm

User Signing on DLNA Devices

Is is possible to add a user signing on DLNA devices ?. I know you can't change the interface to add a login box but could you setup catagories which relate to users and then select the user viewing ? I love new user mode and being able to assign a user to a device, but for devices like the living room TV being able to select the user watching would be a great advantage.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:12 pm

Re: User Signing on DLNA Devices

No, there's no way to do so. No matter what Serviio included, the player itself would need to support a login, and none do.

Now, if you're attempting to limit access to some of your shared libraries, you can (starting with Serviio 2.0) assign a user to a player. That player will only be granted access to the libraries assigned to that user. Of course, it won't matter who's actually using that player, as the restriction applies to the player itself.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

mike.clayton999

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:17 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply but I think you missed part of question I was asking. I know you can't add a login into DLNA client, the standard on the client doesn't support it.

My suggestion was to use presentation catagories... You have Video, Images, Audio defined within Serviio; can another be added for Users which would list up the users defined, then when you select the user that would list up the catagories that user has access to.

Don't know if it would work, but it could be a work around the DLNA standard.

IE Opening screen would be

Video
    Audio
    Users---|
      ---- Rod
      ---- Jane
      ---- Freddy ---|
        ---- Video
        ---- Audio
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:47 am

Interesting idea. But then it'd remove the security aspects, where your kids would just be able to freely parse through your content.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:24 pm

mike.clayton999 wrote:Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply but I think you missed part of question I was asking. I know you can't add a login into DLNA client, the standard on the client doesn't support it.

My suggestion was to use presentation categories... You have Video, Images, Audio defined within Serviio; can another be added for Users which would list up the users defined, then when you select the user that would list up the categories that user has access to.

Don't know if it would work, but it could be a work around the DLNA standard.

IE Opening screen would be

Video
    Audio
    Users---|
      ---- Rod
      ---- Jane
      ---- Freddy ---|
        ---- Video
        ---- Audio

OK, I see what you're getting at now. As Zip mentioned, there would be no security between those different user presentations. I wonder if your could do what you're thinking by segregating the videos into different shared folders, and then assigning user access as necessary to those folders? Becomes more work to put the media into the desired groups, but might be a way to make it happen. And that way you'd still have the user access restrictions if desired. But that would still require assigning a user to a specific player, and a different user would not be able to access their permitted content on that player.

My head's getting dizzy trying to think of how this might work. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

mike.clayton999

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:13 am

May be you could assign which devices can use the Catagory user login ?.

I am guessing the main TV in the house is either on unassigned or assigned to the adult in the family as everyone watches this TV (Ie it already has the greatest access to the media collection). You are not going to assign the childs account to the main TV as the adults won't be able to watch any of the good stuff. If you could assign a catagory login to a device, rather than decreasing security (as it has full access already) you would be offering a more controlled environment; I do agree the children could relogin as the adult and have full access to the media but this is no different to what is there currently.

In summary.
Childrens media devices would be configured for their accounts and have the restrictions
Adult devices can still be assugned as they are now
Some devices (like the main house TV) could be configured for category login which would show the allowed content for the user selected. You could restrict which accounts would be accessed from that TV.. IE Category Login, Maint TV (Adult1,Child1,Child2)... This way you could still restrict to content
Devices in shared childrens rooms could be Category Login (Child 1, Child 2) so they can track their own serires but sill restricted child access.

Return to Feature requests