FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Wildcard to ignore files

<<

Jojo Marababol

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:17 pm

Wildcard to ignore files

Is there a way that Serviio can ignore files via the filename? Something like a special character or string at the beginning of the filename for Serviio to detect and filter out/ignore?

For example - If I have a file named movie1.mkv and movie2.mkv which are both recognized by Serviio. If I add a hashtag (#) symbol at the beginning of the filename and these become #movie1.mkv and #movie2.mkv then these can automatically be ignored (skipped) by Serviio and will not show up in the list of available files/movies?
I am aware of the feature to ignore folders and subfolders by placing an empty file named .nomedia in the folder, but this is hashtag (#) feature is a good and quick way to ignore/filter out files by the program. I have a setup where some files are organized and have to reside at the root of the shared hard drive and cannot be placed inside folders. By having to simply add a special character at the beginning of the filename like a hashtag (#) (or any other special character that you guys feel to be more appropriate) would be a quick and easy way for Serviio to ignore them from showing up.

Thank you and hoping to hear your response on this. Hoping the next update of Serviio Pro will have a feature like this.

Cheers!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: Wildcard to ignore files

I understand what you're asking, but I'm curious why you would have media in the folder in the first place if you didn't want it available via Serviio. Wouldn't it be easier to just move that media into a folder that Serviio doesn't access?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Jojo Marababol

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:51 pm

Some of these movie files I consider singletons and cannot be grouped with others because they are not related. I don't want to create a folder for just a single movie that Serviio will not read. It would be better to just leave the singleton at the root and then place a hashtag symbol (#) as a prefix for Serviio to ignore which would be easier.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:09 pm

OK, but I'm still not following why it needs to be in the folder in the first place. Unless you simply desire to keep all your media in the same folder, which I can understand. I have my media in dozens of folders across 5 hard drives. It does make it difficult to locate a file if I need to access it directly, but that's something I rarely have to do.

So, let's see what Zip has to think about it. I just checked his bitbucket location (https://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/issues) and I don't see any request that matches yours over the last couple of years. You can also make that request directly in bitbucket, as there's where he tracks everything.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Jojo Marababol

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:05 pm

I use Serviio/SMB share on a Windows 7 computer to publish (movie) files and folders to 2 different TV/media player setups via the local home network.

One player is an old generation Panasonic Viera plasma TV which accesses Serviio via my Sony DVD player. The Viera is unable to access Serviio or SMB share directly thsus the reason for Serviio.

All files placed in a folder containing an empty .nomedia file are hidden from my Panasonic Viera-Sony DVD setup by Serviio which is fine. All of my 2160p files are in this folder.

The other player is a newer setup which is an android-based eGreat player connected to an android-based Sony 4k UHD TV. Files/folders are accessed by the egreat player directly (SMB) and movie posters/titles are generated by its built-in program for display on the TV.

This player can handle all resolutions including 2160p files.

The problem arises with movie files in the folder containing the empty .nomedia file. On the egreat player, it fails to build movie posters/titles. Filenames can be accessed via (SMB) folder share name but they do not generate any movie posters. I read on the internet that the .nomedia file control is android-device based (https://fileinfo.com/extension/nomedia)? Is this why the egreat is unable to generate movie posters for files in the folder because it is android based?

When I remove the .nomedia file from the folder or place the files at the root, posters are generated. Unfortunately, this exposes the movie file to the older Panasonic Viera-Sony DVD setup and appears on the Serviio list.

This is why I thought of the prefix-hashtag-marked filename filter as another way for Serviio to ignore files. Instead of being based on the .nomedia file option, in addition filenames can be selectively ignored if it contains a hashtag prefix (i.e. #movie1.mkv for example will be skipped). This will allow the user greater control over the display of movie files that are shared by Serviio.

Another scenario will be if I had a file(s) that I wanted hidden from the older Panasonic Viera-Sony DVD setup but not on the newer Sony4kUHD-Egreat setup, I could simply mark the files with the hashtag prefix and Serviio would ignore these. It will be more of an individual file filter policy vs. group file (by folder) filter policy.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks.
<<

Jojo Marababol

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:19 am

Or maybe instead of a hashtag sign (#) a dot (.) at the beginning could be used instead to hide a filename or folder from serviio? For example .filename.mkv will be hidden?

Return to Feature requests