FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Network Setup help!

<<

SawyerTyler

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:26 am

Network Setup help!

I have a tiny problem
I live in a 3 story house, each floor has there own router. I named them First base, Second and Third
If I allow First Base to manage the DHCP server and turn it off Second and Third, Serviio works nicely but wireless functions are disabled for my cell devices to connect to those routers. But Whats weird is my laptop, roku can connect wireless but no cell phones or tablets.

How can I setup the routers so Serviio works and Cells work
Serviio Servers are on First Base, and my Roku's are on Second and Third.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:59 pm

Re: Network Setup help!

The second and third floor routers need to be placed in WIreless Access Point mode. Not all routers are capable of that, though. You want all floors to be seen as a single network, with no routing done between floors. It sounds like DHCP isn't reaching floors 2 and 3, since they are in router mode.

If the routers don't offer a WAP mode, just connect the Ethernet cable from the lower floor into one of the regular LAN jacks, not the one labeled WAN or Internet. This just makes them operate as an Ethernet switch with an attached wireless radio.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

gail1jacob

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:15 pm

Every device on the network has to be able to see your primary router (without passing through another router) to receive its IP address, and this should also ensure that everything connected to your network can see each other, including your Serviio PC.

writing service
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:05 am

gail1jacob wrote:Every device on the network has to be able to see your primary router (without passing through another router) to receive its IP address, and this should also ensure that everything connected to your network can see each other, including your Serviio PC.

Which is why I advised putting the other routers in WAP mode. I also deleted the spam URL you embedded in this post.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion