FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WHS to Linux move

<<

Jamuna

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:41 am

WHS to Linux move

Never posted on this forum before but I can’t find an answer to my problem. I hope this is the right section.

I have a very old WHS (Windows Home Server pre 2011) that automatically backs up three desktop computers round the house, shares data and runs Serviio. It’s now getting very old and cranky, PSU fan noisy, DVD/CD drive no longer works etc. Unfortunately WHS is no longer so I need to create a replacement using Linux because Serviio comes as a Linux version as well as Windows. We use Serviio a lot round the house feeding TV's and tablets. It has become very important for all our video and music needs.

My problem is I have no experience of Linux at all and I would place my computer literacy based on a 1 to 10 score at about 3. I don’t know if I need a desktop or server version of Linux although I suspect it might need to be server. What’s the best “brand” of Linux suitable for me coming from a Windows only environment? What brand does Serviio like the most?

This is a list of things I need it to do.

Run Serviio. https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/

Automatically backup my Windows workstations.
Be able to map a drive on a Windows workstation to a shared folder.
Ability to add a PNP internal HDD when my existing drive(s) get full (drive extender in WHS) and let Linux do the rest without damage to my existing data.

I have an old Dell desktop (Vestro 400 with an Intel Core Quad 64bit processor) which is about 7 years old that I want to use.

Hope you can help me but not to technical and preferably with links to where I get the software from.

Many thanks in advance.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:43 am

Re: WHS to Linux move

No, you don't need a server version of Linux to run Serviio. Any desktop distro should be fine. I've played around a bit with Linux and believe Mint is a pretty easy product for the novice to use. Just be aware that installing applications on Linux still isn't as simple as it is on Windows. Once you get Serviio installed and working, you use it in the same way as you do on Windows, so nothing new to learn there. Just don't go looking for the C: drive. That's a Windows file system naming convention. :)

For assistance getting it installed, see this page: https://www.serviio.org/index.php?optio ... ticle&id=5 Note that you have to install some things yourself that are handled automatically during the Windows install.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion