FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is serviio still under active development?

<<

yahya69

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:55 am

Is serviio still under active development?

Hello,
when I look at serviio's release history, it looks as if release activity has slowed down quite a bit. Unless I have overlooked something, there has never been a moment in the past where more than a year passed between two releases. But at the time of writing there has been no new release since May 2020, with version 2.1, which itself was the first release to take almost a year. 2019 seems to have been the first year with just a single release. Before that, there always were several releases per year. This looks like slowly phasing out the development of serviio. I hope that this is not true, but that's what it looks like to me.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:12 pm

Re: Is serviio still under active development?

Serviio is not a company, but a single person. As everyone knows, the last 18 months have been a real gut slam for most people. I do know that the developer is not abandoning Serviio, but life simply got in the way recently. I don't know his timeline, but I do know the future versions are still planned.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

yahya69

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 am

Thanks! I guess, the feature I most hope he has on his screen is the ability to play Opus audio. Else, Serviio mostly does everything I want, but missing Opus support is a real limitation...
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:48 pm

Shortly after I posted my response yesterday, the developer has let the beta testers that a new version is coming out soon. For reasons I can't publicly say, there will be a new version before the end of the month.

I can't say of Opus audio support is included. However, audio codec support is usually a function of the player, not the server. Is it that you are using a player that doesn't support Opus, and you need Serviio to transcode it?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

yahya69

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:01 am

atc98092 wrote:
I can't say of Opus audio support is included. However, audio codec support is usually a function of the player, not the server. Is it that you are using a player that doesn't support Opus, and you need Serviio to transcode it?

Sorry, saw your response only now. The problem seems to be that, lacking opus support, serviio doesn't index opus audio files in the first place and thus doesn't offer to serve them. Tested i.a. with Android DLNA clients, as Android has built-in support for Opus audio. It was once touted as the successor for ogg, that's why I have used it on occasion.

Return to General discussion