Post Wed May 17, 2023 3:40 pm

Re: Which TV is better for Serviio DLNA compatibility?

I have no personal experience with a Panasonic TV for many years. I do have a Samsung JU7100 series, which is roughly the same age as the 7590 you mention. Of course, both are older sets, as I've had my JU7100 for a very long time.

All that said, I don't bother using any of my Smart TVs to access Serviio. None of them offer a pleasant user interface, and there are many features lacking from them. No TV offers faster than 100 Mbps Ethernet, which is a problem when streaming a UHD movie rip. WiFi potentially offers higher speeds, but is hit or miss about actually getting those speeds.

I use instead an external player. I use both Roku players (which also have some limitations) or the Nvidia Shield. The advantage of the Shield is that they will play virtually anything without transcoding, will display the captions from ripped DVDs and Blu Ray discs, and has an Gigabit Ethernet connection which is really good for UHD movie rips. The Shield will also bitstream all the lossless audio codecs to a compatible AVR. The Roku is more limited in audio and video codec support, so many things need transcoding. They cannot display image based captions, which all DVD and Blu Ray discs use. And they will only bitstream the basis Dolby Digital and DTS audio tracks, not the lossless versions. But the Roku is far less expensive and more readily available. I've never used them, but the Fire TV players from Amazon perform similarly to the Roku.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents