FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Amazon Fire TV & Serviio

<<

spudy12

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:28 pm

Amazon Fire TV & Serviio

Anyone know / had any experience with amazon fire tv and serviio?
Does it support dlna? If not will Serviigo work?

Cheers!
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Re: Amazon Fire TV & Serviio

ServiiGo will probably run, but I'm not sure what the experience will be like. ServiiGo has a TV mode (minimal changes to layout and spacings etc..) when its on a large device without a touch screen, but acording to the docs that ActionBar is hidden by default which ServiiGo still relys on to access the navigation draw, so not sure how that will work.

Once I finish my thesis and life goes back to normal, I'm going to be able to spend a lot more time on ServiiGo (and ServiiDroid), and really want to improve the general TV UI for use across Google TV, Android STB devices, Android TV (coming out I guess later this year), and provided Amazon haven't messed about too much with the SDK, I'll look at Amazon Fire TV.

If someone gets one then please do post details in the ServiiGo thread and report back any bugs.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

spudy12

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Well I'm tempted to order one just to play around with. (Only £49 if your a prime member) so if i do i'll post back with results!
Good luck with the Thesis!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:51 am

My daughter bought a Fire TV, and is very pleased with it so far for Amazon and Netflix. I did a quick search for a DLNA player in their app store, and did find something (can't remember the name). However, it's going to need a profile written for it. I couldn't play anything on her Serviio machine (I think they're all MKV videos). I haven't had time to run a sniffer to see what media it supports. Maybe I can get to it this weekend, but I have to travel next week so maybe not. :lol:

Amazon doesn't claim DLNA support at this time, although there are rumors that something might be released later this year. Kind of like the Roku. Never offered "official" DLNA support until earlier this year. Now it's working quite well, and unfortunately has made to previous private channels that offered DLNA into also-rans.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

spudy12

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:13 am

atc98092 wrote:My daughter bought a Fire TV, and is very pleased with it so far for Amazon and Netflix. I did a quick search for a DLNA player in their app store, and did find something (can't remember the name). However, it's going to need a profile written for it. I couldn't play anything on her Serviio machine (I think they're all MKV videos). I haven't had time to run a sniffer to see what media it supports. Maybe I can get to it this weekend, but I have to travel next week so maybe not. :lol:

Amazon doesn't claim DLNA support at this time, although there are rumors that something might be released later this year. Kind of like the Roku. Never offered "official" DLNA support until earlier this year. Now it's working quite well, and unfortunately has made to previous private channels that offered DLNA into also-rans.

Did you get a chance to play with this at all? :)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:01 pm

spudy12 wrote:
atc98092 wrote:My daughter bought a Fire TV, and is very pleased with it so far for Amazon and Netflix. I did a quick search for a DLNA player in their app store, and did find something (can't remember the name). However, it's going to need a profile written for it. I couldn't play anything on her Serviio machine (I think they're all MKV videos). I haven't had time to run a sniffer to see what media it supports. Maybe I can get to it this weekend, but I have to travel next week so maybe not. :lol:

Did you get a chance to play with this at all? :)

Nah, not yet. I had to go out of town this week. I'll be home tomorrow, but I probably have a lot of stuff to catch up on at home. I'll see if I can find the time soon.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:10 am

OK, I tried scanning it today, and while Device Spy saw it, no information was pulled. I wasn't there long enough to experiment with trying different apps on the Fire TV, so it's possible that it is only visible if the player app is running.

It also might be like the Roku, and not expose the necessary protocols for scanning.
Dan

<<

jmerrilljr

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:57 pm

XBMC/KODI works really well with Serviio. Add videos -- select UPnP device -- Serviio will appear.
<<

AndrewW

Serviio lover

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:35 pm

As an experiment ServiioGo sideloads and appears to work, but as its not an official app it does not appear in the proper menu, and you need to access via the setting menu which involves putting in the pin every time.
going to uninstall.

The author could approach Amazon about including the app in their store, which appears low on apps currently. Was also loooking at the Plex client, but worried incase it really needs a plex server and not serviio.
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 pm

Plex on fire tv doesn't see Serviio. I'll try ServiioGo side loaded
<<

spudy12

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 pm

NX3 wrote:Plex on fire tv doesn't see Serviio. I'll try ServiioGo side loaded

Be great if you can keep us updated on whether this works or not :)
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:13 am

It seems to work well! I had no issues so far. First time it asks which external video player to use, it can use default built in player but I have side loaded Vlc and xbmc. I selected Vlc, it worked ok but Vlc is a bit clunky , I suspect xbmc would of been better. I didn't use the good built in player as used by Plex, while it's very good it lacks dts support which irks me. Xbmc does dts.....
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:20 am

NX3 wrote:It seems to work well! I had no issues so far. First time it asks which external video player to use, it can use default built in player but I have side loaded Vlc and xbmc. I selected Vlc, it worked ok but Vlc is a bit clunky , I suspect xbmc would of been better. I didn't use the good built in player as used by Plex, while it's very good it lacks dts support which irks me. Xbmc does dts.....

4.3 Beta 1 (which has just come out) will let you use the Google TV profile on generic TV/STB devices (which re-packages Original quality in a HLS stream and transcodes the audio if needed so that it can be played in ServiiGo's internal player).
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

tyrant00

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Hey guys,

i'm trying to get this to work but i'm stuck. I wanna make my Amazon Fire TV play movie files (and MKV especially) via Serviio.
Here is what i've got:
- Serviio running 1.5.2
- my Samsung TV recognizes Serviio when using USB WLAN stick
- Amazon Fire TV with side-loaded Kodi 15.2 (serving as upnp/dlna client)
- Serviio is not recognized when trying to add upnp devices in Kodi

what am i doing wrong?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Return to General discussion