FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Streamming from remore PC?

<<

palosanto

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Streamming from remore PC?

Hello,
I use regularely Teamviewer to access a remote computer from home.
I wonder if there is a way to have Serviio to access the videos that are stored in the remote computer so that I can watch them on my TV. What would be the steps to have these files accessible in my Serviio's library ?
My remote computer is not in a company's server or nothing like that. It's simply connected to a wifi router at my remote place.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:41 am

Re: Streamming from remore PC?

A few ways come to mind, but the only one I have ever done is the last option as my remote location has poor internet access (the third one should work though - imho the first two are potential nightmares, just presented to cover all bases....):

• DLNA only works over a LAN so if you want to use Serviio as a DLNA server you need to setup a VPN between the two locations. This extends your LAN from your home location to your remote location. You can then try and extend Serviio's DLNA from your home location to your remote TV... never tried this and I would not go down this path unless you have very high internet bandwidth with low latency between the locations and expert level networking knowledge to troubleshoot the networking issues you will have;
  • Run a second copy of Serviio at the remote location. On that second copy add the drives from your home location as shares (you will need to use software on your home network to expose these drives to the internet in a secure manner). The second copy of Serviio will access the drives from your home locations as network drives and add their files to its library. Once again relies on very high internet bandwidth with low latency. Make sure you only manually refresh your library to overcome issues where it may drop out momentarily;
  • Running Serviio Pro at your home location, access it remotely via MediaBrowser from your PC at the remote location. At your remote location have your PC connected to the TV via a HDMI cable to display the video on the TV. Will work over most internet connections (but the more bandwidth the better);
  • Buy a portable HDD or laptop, and keep your media sync'd on the HDD. Using leg power ;) take the portable HDD with you when visiting the remote location. Either use Serviio at the remote location (access the portable HDD) or use a simple media player if only one TV.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

palosanto

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:39 am

Running Serviio Pro at your home location, access it remotely via MediaBrowser from your PC at the remote location. At your remote location have your PC connected to the TV via a HDMI cable to display the video on the TV. Will work over most internet connections (but the more bandwidth the better);

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I think I could do option 3 but I'm not sure if you understood my setup ...
The TV is at home not at the emote location. I'm already viewing content stored in my PC at home on the TV with Serviio.
I want to be able to watch the videos that are stored in my remote PC.
So it looks like I need to reverse what you are describing:
Install Serviio pro in the remote PC and
Access it remotely from home via MediaBrowser?
Is this correct?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:01 am

Sorry did have it the other way around, but, yes what you have described should work.

I also thought of another way - you could just have some software that keeps the shared folders from your remote computer sync'd with your home PC (syncing software like AllwaySync'n'Go and an FTP server on your remote PC will do it, or use a cloud based solution like Dropbox). I know it means having your media duplicated on both PC's, but it would probably provide a more uniform experience.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.

Return to General discussion