FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Can I use Linksys Workgroup Switch?

<<

riverboatsam

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:58 am

Can I use Linksys Workgroup Switch?

Hi! I've had Serviio working successfully with my LG Blue Ray player for some time - with a wired connection to another room (to my Win7/64 PC)/2-wire wifi-modem. I'm having a problem with a similarly distant Internet radio.
I have a Linksys 5-port Workgroup Switch I used to use at work, and I thought - Hey! Why not connect to IT, and then from the switch to the LG Blue Ran and the Internet Radio. But... now the Blue Ray cannot
find it's way back to the 2-wire modem & PC any more. I was wondering if the IP address got changed? (after all, it WAS formerly talking to 1 device... now potentially to 5 others?) The LG Blue ray setup
wants either a hard-coded IP address or dynamic. I tried the "old" IP address of the blue ray and the "blank" dynamic....neither works. Maybe the workgroup switch isn't even the right thing to try... I am
really pretty ignorant about how this stuff works. FYI, it is a Linksys model EZXS55W 10/100 Mbps 5-port Workgroup Switch. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. Thanks!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Re: Can I use Linksys Workgroup Switch?

A network workgroup switch does not provide anything related to routing or IP address assignment. If the switch is hardwired to your 2Wire modem with a cat5 cable, it should pass through everything you need to connect.

I may have found the issue. This switch has an uplink port. There are 6 cat5 connections on the back. The 6th is labeled uplink. The cable from the 2Wire must be plugged into this port. Now, there are still 5 ports remaining, but number 5 (the one next to the uplink port) is unusable when the uplink port is in use.

So, you need the cable from the 2Wire modem plugged into the uplink port, then any equipment that you want to connect to the switch must be in port 1-4. My guess is either the uplink cable is in the wrong port or you are using port 5 and the uplink port at the same time. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion