FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Which is the faster setup

<<

Magnus8

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:28 am

Which is the faster setup

I have setup Serviio and its working great. Just wanted to explore a different setup and would like any opinions as to wether it would be faster or not.
Current setup:
Serviio installed on Win7 i7 laptop with external HDD plugged in via USB 2.0. This streams to my Sony TV via a wireless N router.
Generally have no issues...

Considering:
Serviio still installed on Laptop.
BUT plugging external HDD into the router instead of the laptop.
Most of my files need no transcoding.

I assume as the files are now going ROUTER/TV instead of laptop/router/TV
Cheers :)
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:09 am

Re: Which is the faster setup

When I first bought my USB drive I plugged it into my router. I found it very slow - slow to read and write, not just for Serviio but for everything. I connected it to my PC and haven't gone back.

I suspect though it will depend on your router... so give it a try. The only negative side is that you will need to rebuild your library.

Oh, if your laptop is wirelessly connected I think you'll find it terrible. The data will flow from your HDD wireless to the laptop to be processed by Serviio, then from the laptop wirelessly back to the router then from the router wirelessly to the the TV. Wireless is a shared media, and this way effectively uses three "slices" of the media to handle the one transaction.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

spudy12

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:29 am

Yes Harddrives through Routers tend to be very slow and depending on the router need to be a specific format.

The files will go from the router / harddrive to your laptop and then back to the TV rather than going directly.
As DenyAll said, if your laptop is wireless it will be the weak link in the chain. Always worth being wired where you can
<<

Magnus8

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks guys

I'll stay with the setup I have and just connect everything to a gigabit ethernet.

Return to General discussion