FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

DLNA Device

<<

cruisinfanatic

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:46 am

DLNA Device

Have a DLNA blu-ray for main tv. I'd like to add DLNA device to second TV. Least expensive way to do it?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:43 pm

Re: DLNA Device

The absolute cheapest route, assuming you are talking about a finished plug-and-play product (there are kits as well) would likely be the Roku, or perhaps a Western Digital media player. However, the Roku requires transcoding most types of video files, so it helps to have a strong server running Serviio. In the same general price range is a Blu-Ray player, as you already know.

Sony and Samsung seem to do a good job supporting DLNA playback, although I've heard that some lower price Sony players don't have it, so be careful. I tried a recent Toshiba BD player and was disappointed in its performance. The user interface was slower than molasses. It also occasionally froze up playing a video. I've used Panasonic in the past with respectable results, but a less than satisfactory user interface. Maybe they've finally updated them. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion