FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

VLC connect through internet to servviio

<<

jerdiali

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:44 pm

VLC connect through internet to servviio

dear all,
my question is , can I connect to serviio server thtrough internet with vlc player? and not only with mediabrowser.
or is there any mediaplayer with this feature

thanks for your help

Best regards
jerdi
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:38 am

Re: VLC connect through internet to servviio

Yes it is technically possible. You would need to connect to your Serviio server via a VPN across the internet and then connect VLC to the server by using the DLNA client feature within VLC.

Having said that, just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. You will likely have a horrible time of it as:

• VPN's are not necessarily easy to set up
  • DLNA is a LAN only protocol - it is not optimised for "lossy" networks such as the internet. Even though the VPN extends your LAN across the internet, the underlying network (the internet) is subject to packet loss, latency and jitter that DLNA was never designed to handle.
  • The DLNA client in VLC is atrocious - even on the LAN it's not something I would recommend (and in latter versions of VLC hasn't worked at all).
MediaBrowser, or other tools such as ServiiGo, are written to use the Serviio API rather than DLNA and can be optimised for internet transport.

Why wouldn't you use MediaBrowser (or ServiiGo on an Android device)?
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.

Return to General discussion