FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Showing Image Subtitles / Overlays

<<

garyw90

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Showing Image Subtitles / Overlays

Here is what I am looking for, and so far, I have not found it.

I have my Windows server loaded up with a lot of pictures, music and some videos. Serviio Is an great platform for streaming that to my TV and computer. I even wrote an application for the Windows phone using the API to browse and play media. With that I have access to all of my pictures, music and videos no matter where I am. [Note: the application is not complete, in that is it not as fully featured {zoom, for example} as most users would expect, so I have not put it into the Windows store]

Now for the part where I am struggling. All of the pictures I shoot these days are in RAW format with my Canon 60D. Two months ago I was in the Philippines on a scuba diving trip and took 1,200 pictures. There were so many different sizes and shapes of critters and fish underwater, and I want to be able to add notes or some subtitle to the pictures so that when I show the pictures, people can see the name of the critter (such as a crinoid shrimp, or some crab).

Now, I can easily do this with Photoshop, but then it saves the changes to a side file (.xmp) instead of the original file. Fair enough, in fact, I think I would like to keep the original file original. I have tried Exit Pilot to add information to the Exif tags, but that still does not show up when Serviio streams the pictures.

So it would be really cool If Serviio or a plugin could take the original RAW image file, apply any deltas from the XMP file, and then display the merged result. I did a quick search and it does not look like any such thing exists. I am not afraid to develop a plugin, but I thought I would check to see if there is a plugin already, or something in Serviio (current or forthcoming) to do that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Re: Showing Image Subtitles / Overlays

Hi, looking forward to the WP app (myself being a WP user).

The only thing we could do is somehow extract the text from the file and use it as a file name - that would be probably the only thing you could see on a TV, unless Serviio really overlays it on the actual image - which may be quite a lot of work. Plugins only work for online feeds, so this would have to be a core feature.

Return to General discussion