FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Mediabrowser in Kodi

<<

kirilm

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Serviio Mediabrowser in Kodi

Hi,

I'm using serviio for a while now, and it's awesome. I have serviio in outside network, where it can download files very fast, and then I watch movies through serviio mediabrowser via my PC. Recently I've bought Raspberry Pi, and installed Kodi on it. It plays IPTV just well, and now I would like it to play files from my serviio. So there is the question:

Since serviio is on outside network and I can not use DLNA, is there a way to make it work? Maybe there already is plugin for that stuff? Or, maybe there is some kind of workaround?

Not sure what mediabrowser does, but I guess it uses RTMP for streaming. So if I would know how to make a request to serviio, and what to expect from it, maybe I could get it work. So if anyone knows how it works, help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Kiril
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:26 am

Re: Serviio Mediabrowser in Kodi

What do you mean by outside network? It is outside your firewall connected directly to the Internet? If so, Why? There's really no reason for that, as it would be able to download files as quickly from behind your firewall. And you can set up your router to port forward and use MediaBrowser from outside your home network.

If you mean it's on a network away from yours, i.e. in some other location, then the only option is likely to set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) between the two networks. However, even with a VPN there are routing issues that could cause difficulty.

DLNA will not transport on the Internet. The devices must be on the same network, or a network with routing set up between them with the proper configuration. I have no idea of Kodi would support any other type of connection. If it has a web browser built into it, you might be able to use MediaBrowser inside Kodi.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kirilm

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:07 am

What do you mean by outside network? It is outside your firewall connected directly to the Internet? If so, Why? There's really no reason for that, as it would be able to download files as quickly from behind your firewall. And you can set up your router to port forward and use MediaBrowser from outside your home network.

By outside network I mean it is on a network away from my. Serviio is on a server that has 1 gigabit connection to internet, and my home network has only 10 Mbps. It is quite a pain to download a hi-def movie at my home, so I'm downloading it to serviio and then watching it via mediabrowser with my PC. Now I want to make my Raspberry PI to play those files, so I could connect it to my TV.

If you mean it's on a network away from yours, i.e. in some other location, then the only option is likely to set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) between the two networks. However, even with a VPN there are routing issues that could cause difficulty.

VPN might be an option actually! But that is quite difficult approach i don't really like. Since DLNA uses multicast for server announcements (not 100% sure, correct me if I'm wrong), and native VPN does not support multicast, i have to go with GRE over IPsec, so I have to put two routers on both sides, which would support that kind of VPN and then route that traffic through. I guess I will have to go that way if there will be no other solution.

DLNA will not transport on the Internet. The devices must be on the same network, or a network with routing set up between them with the proper configuration. I have no idea of Kodi would support any other type of connection. If it has a web browser built into it, you might be able to use MediaBrowser inside Kodi.

I'm not sure about web browser in Kodi either, haven't looked yet, although, i guess VPN is better idea :) Raspberry doesn't have powerfull CPU, even Kodi interface gives it hard (up to 100% utilization), so I guess it is gonna be very slow. So I would like to make it as simple as possible. Write some plugin, which would act like backend for serviio to pull video files (instead of mediabrowser).

Raspberry Pi is a very tiny PC, you can put it in pocket, so I want to make it work everywhere I go. Just plug it in, and it will play.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:48 am

Why not simply use MediaBrowser running within a browser on your Raspberry Pi, or have I missed something?

Mediabrowser talks to the Serviio Server via the CDS API - see http://serviio.org/component/content/ar ... sed/66-api. It enables browsing and playback of the content via HTTP. This is how Mediabrowser, and any third party app, makes a request on the server. I often thought it may be possible to develop a plug-in for Kodi to talk directly to the Serviio server via the API but that's a project for a time when I have a lot more spare time :-)
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

kirilm

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:08 am

Mediabrowser talks to the Serviio Server via the CDS API - see http://serviio.org/component/content/ar ... sed/66-api. It enables browsing and playback of the content via HTTP. This is how Mediabrowser, and any third party app, makes a request on the server. I often thought it may be possible to develop a plug-in for Kodi to talk directly to the Serviio server via the API but that's a project for a time when I have a lot more spare time :-)

That is actually what I was looking for! Thank you very much. I'll try to build app for my RPi myself. Had to look better on site :)

Thank you, again!

Return to General discussion