FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Streaming normal URL's

<<

robplowman

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:18 am

Streaming normal URL's

Hi Guys,
Obviously this question shows that I'm a "newbe" to Serviio.
I work for a not-for-profit company and we're hoping to use Serviio as I low cost digital signage solution.
A large part of the time we will be just wanting to stream our home page and sub-pages to a DLNA inclusive TV.
And there may be other content as well.
I've tried making a "play list" including just standard URL's like our's, www.bchs.com.au , but it won't accept those sorts of pages in the play list. Is there a fix for this or is Serviio the wrong product for this sort of application?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rob
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Streaming normal URL's

To stream a web page as a video stream is not that simple - you'd have to stream the whole desktop.

I'd suggest you to buy Chromecast and cast your browser to the TV instead - you can get a plugin that will switch tabs so you can get a kind of slideshow.
<<

robplowman

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:02 am

I'm maybe not being clear enough about what I'm wanting to do here.
I'm just wanting to use Serviio to display mostly standard web site pages from our own company that don't have any movie or video content and it seems I can't do that. Is that correct?
Eg I want to display, without audio, (because there is none on our web pages) say our home page (link above) and then keep that showing for maybe 10 seconds, then show another page from our site for another 10 seconds and then loop back etc. Later we may include still shots or video but not initially.
Can this be done? I've tried it and when I put our above home page in the library, it doesn't accept it.
Any suggestions most welcome please.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:29 pm

It's not possible, unless you stream your desktop. Serviio streams video, not websites.

The suggested Chromecast solution would work and do exactly what you need for $25 per TV.

Return to General discussion