FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

upgrade to Serviio Pro on a FreeBSD install (not FreeNAS)

<<

mrjayviper

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:49 am

upgrade to Serviio Pro on a FreeBSD install (not FreeNAS)

I am keen on replacing Plex with Serviio for my media serving needs but I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade a FreeBSD install of Serviio. I'm keen to use "Media Browser" which seems to be available only on Pro versions.

Thank you for the reply.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: upgrade to Serviio Pro on a FreeBSD install (not FreeNAS

The only thing you need to make your installation of Serviio the Pro version is uploading the license file. You receive the file when your purchase Pro. It is uploaded in the console with a button on the very last tab. Other than that, there's nothing to be installed or upgraded.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

mrjayviper

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 am

atc98092 wrote:The only thing you need to make your installation of Serviio the Pro version is uploading the license file. You receive the file when your purchase Pro. It is uploaded in the console with a button on the very last tab. Other than that, there's nothing to be installed or upgraded.

my FreeBSD install is a headless box. There's no X11 (or whatever they call it these days). All I have access is the terminal (i.e. no GUI)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:35 pm

mrjayviper wrote:
atc98092 wrote:The only thing you need to make your installation of Serviio the Pro version is uploading the license file. You receive the file when your purchase Pro. It is uploaded in the console with a button on the very last tab. Other than that, there's nothing to be installed or upgraded.

my FreeBSD install is a headless box. There's no X11 (or whatever they call it these days). All I have access is the terminal (i.e. no GUI)

You still have to have a console installation to be able to administer Serviio. It can't be done from the command line. The simplest way is to install the console only on a computer on the same network that has a GUI. This can be a Windows, Mac or Linux machine. When running the Serviio install you have the option to just install the console.

There are also some apps that run on various mobile OS versions. I'm aware of different apps for Windows Phone, iOS and Android. These apps can also help administer the Serviio server, but I don't know if any of them have the ability to install the license file to activate Pro. You probably still need the console on a computer to do that.

This FAQ page tells about other console options, and instructions on running the console on a different comptuer: http://www.serviio.org/component/conten ... sed/21-faq

I think you will be pleased with Serviio. For an installation like yours, there's a little more work involved, but it's worth it. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

jk50

Serviio lover

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:49 pm

You can upload the license file from the command line with curl.
See here http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=upload_license_via_command_line
<<

mrjayviper

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:29 am

thanks all!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:38 am

jk50 wrote:You can upload the license file from the command line with curl.
See here http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=upload_license_via_command_line

Thanks jk. Always good to learn something new! :D
Dan

Return to General discussion