FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Android and iOS players and settings for serviio?

<<

loukas77

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:40 pm

Android and iOS players and settings for serviio?

Hello everyone! I have been using Serviio for 2 years now to stream video to my Samsung smart TV and it's been working perfectly!

However I never managed to get videos to play on my Android tablet and iPhone. So I'm here to ask you for 2 things:

1) What apps should I use as players on Android and iOS? I've tried a lot and non worked as they should (only played simple mp4 files, no mkv) and here comes the 2nd question...
2) What profile/settings should I use for each of the suggested apps?

Thank you so much for your help! I've been trying to get my home server to work with my mobile devices with no luck, and I wanted to post here for a long time, so finally I've asked the experts. Also, thank you for the amazing streaming application that I use every day! :D
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Re: Android and iOS players and settings for serviio?

There are disabled profiles available in a separate file called applications-profiles.xml. This is in the config folder. Open the file in a text editor and find your desired profile. There is one labeled iOS and another labeled HTML5. The HTML5 might work for your Android devices. There's also a ServiiGo profile, which is designed for Android devices as well.

When you find the profile you want to enable, look at the end of the very first line of the profile and you will see selectable="false". Change false to true and reboot your computer (or restart the process). Now this profile will be available in the Serviio console for selection.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:28 am

You have multiple choices.
1. Use Mediabrowser (comes with Serviio Pro) and works on any browser enabled device (Android with Chrome, IOS with Safari, etc)
2. Use ServiiGo with Android with MX player .
3. Use BubbleUpNp on Android with MX player
4. Use VLC for IOS and choose Local Network
<<

loukas77

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:04 am

Thank you so much guys! I got everything semi-working (VLC for iOS is trying to work but it's not quite there yet....).

On android, after enabling the SrviiGo profile, even the native DLNA app of the tablet works perfectly!

Also, just tried MediaBrowser for the first time and I'm seriously considering buying a pro license. The browser is so fast and smooth. Great work on that one, and thanks for the trial period after updating :D

Serviio never fails to impress me.

Another question I have. Is there a way to enable transcoding for my TV (Samsung Smart E series) only for certain codecs? I am having problems with HEVC files (they tend to stop 1 minute before the video ends and also I can't pause or seek inside the video), but with nothing else, and I don't want to transcode all .mkv files

Return to General discussion