FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Bitrate of stream

<<

djnforce

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:19 am

Bitrate of stream

Hello community,

iam very new to the topic of DLNA and i have a question: Under the assumption i will share a MPEG-2 movie (according spec max Bitrate 50.000.000 bit/s). Which additional information will come to the stream? Or otherwise which bitrate will the stream have?

I hope someone can understand my question :-)

Thanks a lot.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Bitrate of stream

I can't speak to the technicalities of how DLNA works, but I can share what I observe. I have numerous files encoded with MPEG2 video. Most of them are in an MKV container, although I have some .TS and .MP4 files as well. The highest quality videos seem to have a maximum streaming bitrate around 5-7 Mbps.

As to what is contained in the stream itself, that depends on what is inside the container. Remember that MKV, MPG, MP4, M2TS, etc. are only a container, and the video and audio within the container can vary. With the MKV container, the stream could contain multiple audio and caption tracks that can be selected by the player. Other containers often only have a single video and audio stream. If the file requires transcoding (because the player does not support the file), then only the video and first audio track will be streamed, with the captions embedded into the stream if that option is selected.

The video and audio codec used in a video file can make a tremendous difference in streaming bitrate. I've seen low quality videos that barely reach 1 Mbps, while some HD material with HD audio can exceed 50 Mbps. Again, transcoding the file can reduce the bitrate for players that cannot support the full rate. A good example of that is an older Roku player. They max out around 12-14 Mbps, with the newest Roku 4 can support UHD 4k bitrates exceeding 50 Mbps.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

djnforce

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Re: Bitrate of stream

Thanks a lot for your comment. It helps.

If i have further questions i will come up to you.

Thanks again,
Steffen

Return to General discussion