FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Updated Roku Profiles

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:55 am

Updated Roku Profiles

Thanks to terrific user feedback, some unnecessary transcoding was being performed with all of the Roku Player profiles, except for the TV profiles. This has been fixed, and the next release of Serviio will include these updated profiles. If you would like to use these new profiles now, they are included as an attachment to this message. Simply download the file, open in a text editor, and copy/paste them over the existing Roku profiles. They are all grouped together in the main Profiles file, so it should be easy to do. Once you've saved the file with the new profiles, either reboot the Serviio computer, or open the console and use the Stop/Start Server button on the Status tab to force Serviio to reload the file.

The problem was the original profile was attempting to capture supported video in an unsupported container, but the Matches line was capturing every container, rather than just the necessary one.

If anyone encounters other issues using the Roku profiles, please reply in this thread and we will see what can be done. Remember that while these profiles attempt to identify the Roku player and assign the correct profile, Roku players don't identify themselves very well and you might need to manually select the best profile for your player.

Remember that if your MP4 container (or any other container for that matter) has lossless audio (TrueHD or Master Audio), standard DTS, or multi-channel AAC, your Roku still requires transcoding for the audio. The video will passthrough, but because the audio is being transcoded fast forward, rewind and resume play are not available.
Attachments
12-8 Roku Profiles.xml
(26.99 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

jasemv

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:42 pm

Re: Updated Roku Profiles

Hello,

I have a new Roku streaming Stick and the plus 4k version. Both devices wont play sound when playing mkv files using Serviio thru the Roku media app. I have the latest version of Serviio. I have tried all the different Roku profiles. The sticks are plugged directly into the TV's using HDMI cables. Any insight on this would be helpful. FYI Serviio does work correctly when using just the built in DLNA function on the TV's. Thank you for you're time.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 pm

I need to know the audio codecs used in the files that have no sound. See the link in my sig for assistance providing that information. It sounds like you have an audio codec that isn't being captured, and your TV doesn't support it. I thought I had them all captured, but who knows?

Serviio is likely using a different profile when you use the built-in player on the TV, and it is capturing the audio for transcoding.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

jasemv

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Its all the mkv files. But when I use serviio thru the TV dlna server they paly just fine. Only happens when using Roku players. Using plex also works. Serviio has always worked on my different TV's. Samsung, Panasonic ad Vizio the newer models. Only when I try to use the Roku media player using Serviio does the sound not work when trying to play MKV's. Thank you. I will try your link and reply.
<<

jasemv

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 pm

hers is what came up hope this helps. BTW way I haven't use the file you created. Not sure how to over right the existing file. Thank you.

Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 24 min 0 s
Bit rate : 6 769 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.136
Stream size : 1.13 GiB (95%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : A_AAC-2
Bit rate : 125 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 21.5 MiB (2%)

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : E-AC-3
Format/Info : Enhanced AC-3
Commercial name : Dolby Digital Plus
Codec ID : A_EAC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 224 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 38.5 MiB (3%)
Service kind : Complete Main
Default : No

Text
ID : 4
Format : ASS
Codec ID : S_TEXT/ASS
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Sub Station Alpha
Duration : 23 min 28 s
Bit rate : 94 b/s
Count of elements : 315
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 16.3 KiB (0%)
Title : English
Language : English
Forced : Yes
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:41 am

OK, now we need more info. Looking at that media info, there should be no issue with the audio through any Roku player. What TV(s) are you connected to? I't possible they don't support AAC audio, so that could be the first issue. What profile has Serviio assigned to your players?

Checking the existing Roku profiles, I don't think there's any profile that would catch your video and transcode the audio to AC3. But I can't be sure unless you try them. I don't have any videos that has an exact match to your audio, so I can't verify it myself.

So, first tell me the profile each of your Roku players are using. Unless you changed them, it's probably the default Roku profile. Your players don't need to use that one, as they can handle much higher bitrates than the older Roku players. So, for your 4K Stick, use the 4K (2016+) profile. For the non-4K player, use the 1080 (2016+) profile. See if either of them play audio and let me know.
Dan

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:41 am

Discovered that I had overlooked transcoding multi-channel AAC in several of the Roku profiles, so the file on the first post has been updated. There are no other changes to the profiles. If you are having issues with audio not being transcoded, please replace the Roku profiles within the Profiles.XML file with these.
Dan

<<

jasemv

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks for the update. How do I replace the profiles with the ones in your file?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Zip released Serviio 1.10.1 yesterday, and it has the new profiles already in it. So just update Serviio and you've got them.
Dan

<<

scrambler

Serviio lover

Post Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:25 am

Hi, I have a Roku Ultra (4640X)
I used to use the Chaneru profile as it seemed to provide FFW and RWD on the largest number of file formats.
With the latest release, what is the profile that has the best support for FFW & RWD?

Also, with 7 different Roku profiles, is there a place that explains the benefits of each one?

Thank you for any input
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:07 pm

scrambler wrote:Hi, I have a Roku Ultra (4640X)
I used to use the Chaneru profile as it seemed to provide FFW and RWD on the largest number of file formats.
With the latest release, what is the profile that has the best support for FFW & RWD?

Also, with 7 different Roku profiles, is there a place that explains the benefits of each one?

Thank you for any input

The only way for trick play (FF/Rewind/resume) to work with transcoded files is to use applehttp as the transcoding format. However, that format does not support multi-channel audio, and so is not used in any of the Roku profiles. Chaneru will still be the only profile that allows trick play. However, the Chaneru profile will transcode almost everything, regardless if the Roku can play it without transcoding. It also limits all media to 1080, so all 4K files get transcoded as well. Of course, if a file will play without transcoding, then trick play works fine.

I'm not knocking the effort that Chaneru has done over the years. It's just that Roku now offers far more capabilities in their latest players, and that profile is overkill in some instances.

If applehttp ever allows transcoding using Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, I intend to change all of the existing Roku profiles. But until then, I felt keeping 5.1 audio was a higher priority than having trick play function.

In most cases, the profile names identify the differences. The TV profiles allow MPEG2 video, which older Roku players don't support. The basic profile is for older players that can't handle bitrates higher than about 16 Mbps (almost any HD video and certainly all UHD media). All of the profiles transcode lossless audio into AC3. The 4K profiles obviously allow 4K passthrough. The one labeled MPEG2 is for the latest players that have added MPEG-2 video support, such as the Ultra, Premiere+ and Stick+. Roku doesn't state specifically which players support MPEG-2, so you may have to experiment to see if it works on yours.
Dan

<<

scrambler

Serviio lover

Post Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:28 pm

Thank you, much appreciated.
Would I then be right in assuming that if I take the most capable profile for my Roku Ultra (which I suppose is the 4K media player with Mpeg2), and I just change the "targetContainer" in the profile to applehttp, I will then only transcode what is necessary, but when I do, I will be doing it in a format that support trick play (with the audio compromise).
Or is it more complicated than that.

Thanks again
Note, I also found the thread below (From you it looks like :) ) about the various profiles explanation
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=104501
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Yeah, it's a little more complicated than that :lol: . Since you can't use AC3 as the audio, the targetACodec has to be changed to AAC. I can't say if that would be enough, as it's been a while since I experimented with HLS (applehttp). And like I said, you lose your 5.1 audio doing that.

Yeah, I get around on several forums, both home theater and automotive. Just like to chat sometimes, I guess!
Dan

<<

scrambler

Serviio lover

Post Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks again, I will give a try to changing the target video and audio :)

But I also noticed that even with the chaneru profile, with some files I still cant FFW / RWD , so I get the feeling that Roku is also not able to trick play some of the format it supports.
Let me know if you have any specific insight on this.

Appreciate all the feedback
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:42 am

scrambler wrote:Thanks again, I will give a try to changing the target video and audio :)

But I also noticed that even with the chaneru profile, with some files I still cant FFW / RWD , so I get the feeling that Roku is also not able to trick play some of the format it supports.
Let me know if you have any specific insight on this.

Appreciate all the feedback

All the Chaneru profile uses is HLS, so I assume that some types of files don't support trick play, even using HLS. I don't know enough about that format, so that's just a guess.
Dan

Return to General discussion