FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Newbie question on basic DLNA function

<<

questioner

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Newbie question on basic DLNA function

I've read the FAQ and searched this forum (and Google) without finding answer to a very basic DLNA question.

I intend to buy a TV supporting DLNA. With it I want to view videos and images from my PC. From what I've read about Serviio it seems I can install this program on my Windows 7 PC and then view my images and videos on my (future) DLNA compliant TV. (I've got a wireless 802.11g network at home.)

Two candidate TVs I consider for this is a Samsung UE32D6515 and a Sony KDL-32EX721. The former seems to not support playing AVCHD, the latter possibly not (I'm uncertain) AVI.

Is this a problem or not?

If Serviio is running on my PC will it "serve" my DLNA compliant TV with video in some "standard DLNA format" independent of the format of the video Serviio is reading on my PC? If so I will be safe as long as:

1. My TV is DLNA compliant.
2. Serviio can, on my PC, read the video formats I want to view (in my present case AVCHD and AVI videos I've recorded myself).

Is this a basic feature of DLNA? That the "server software" (running on the PC) (read Serviio in this case) acts as an interface "shielding" the TV from the various video formats on a PC? And that the "server software" converts the video format on the PC into some "DLNA standard format" comprehensible to any DLNA compliant TV?

Or are my assumptions above wrong?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Newbie question on basic DLNA function

You're right. Both of the TV's will be ok, especially the Samsung can play almost everything you throw at it. For the formats that it cannot play Serviio will try to transcode the files into a format the Tv can play.
<<

AzA

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Newbie question on basic DLNA function

Hi.

I have a 32EX721 and i must say that i can play practically everything whit serviio.

The only issue it's that i can't change the audio track.

I also have a LG BD player and whit this i'm able to select the audio track i want to play, so i think the problem may be on the TV and not in serviio.

(Sorry for my english)

Return to General discussion