FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Why serviio?

<<

lavebug

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Why serviio?

This is not an attack just a question.
I use serviio on macbook, but now I have windows 7 ultimate box and it looks like it has all the dlna capability built in, so simple question why use serviio on win 7? What serviio does better that win 7 does not? Also for some reason it can not find serviio do I need to disable media streaming in win 7, any one can point me to a win 7 setup/troubleshooting. It just times out and never finds serviio, I turned firewall completely off, win 7 installation is default, do I need to open some ports for it?
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Why serviio?

Yes, windows 7 does have a built in DLNA server, but that server cannot transcode your files so that they will play on a certain DLNA render. Serviio does. I have serviio running at home on a Linux box and I can serve my files to My Sanyo Plasma TV via my Samsung D5300, my Son's Xbox 360, My netgear EVA 2000, My Droid X and now working to get the profile setup for my Son's Ipod Touch. The windows 7 media server can do this if you have the correct file setup for each of the devices. That means you could have the same video in 3-4 different formats. With Serviio you only need one format.

Look at this website to disable windows 7 media sharing.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disable-windows-7-media-player-network-sharing-service-wmpnetwk/

Also make sure that the following ports are open.
  Code:
My device doesn't see Serviio

This could be caused by you having multiple IP addresses on the machine and Serviio binding to a wrong one. Insert IP address of the machine running Serviio into 'Bound IP address' field in Network Settings section in the console or pass system variable serviio.boundAddr including the IP address when starting the server.

Also make sure that TCP port 8895 and UDP 1900 are open in your firewall.

If you are on a Linux based OS, make sure you set up multicast routes properly.

If on Windows, you can push Serviio service down in starting order.

You can run the following command to make sure that the ports are open.

Code:
You run the following command from the command line and it will show the computers open ports. netstat -an |find /i "listening"
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:32 pm

We might want to move this post to the support forum.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Just a side note windows 7 firewall is never truely OFF so make sure u have the ports required open ( as moltra said above ) and make sure UPNP is enabled on your router.

To advise anymore we would need more information on the computer running serviio and the network setup.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
<<

lavebug

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks will try this tonight. I did notice that win 7 dlna does not work, just does not see my files, so that lives serviio as a choice. Thing that bugs me is win 7 media shows as a default choice once search device in 47LE8500 LG, but I will turn of the service (described in te article) and try again tonight. One more thing is if I need to fast forward it only has one speed and it is slow (I think it is TV issue), any one has any suggestions how do you deal with it, breaking files into chapter is a pain what else any theories? Everything else works good with serviio. Thanks for all your replies.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:20 pm

lavebug wrote:Thanks will try this tonight. I did notice that win 7 dlna does not work, just does not see my files, so that lives serviio as a choice. Thing that bugs me is win 7 media shows as a default choice once search device in 47LE8500 LG, but I will turn of the service (described in te article) and try again tonight. One more thing is if I need to fast forward it only has one speed and it is slow (I think it is TV issue), any one has any suggestions how do you deal with it, breaking files into chapter is a pain what else any theories? Everything else works good with serviio. Thanks for all your replies.

you are correct this is a TV issue and cannot be changed sadly.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:50 am

I am not sure if LG has the option, but on my Samsung I stumbled on the tools when I was watching a video that let me rapidly go to any time reference I wanted.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

Return to General discussion