FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Basic Dummy Question

<<

Nihilator

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Basic Dummy Question

I can stream video fine (via serviio).

I cannot stream DTS audio through my Pioneer Elite VX-33 receiver. The receiver only outputs "PCM Stereo" with all the DTS audio movies that I have tried. What am I missing? I installed "serviio" and have left all settings at their defaults.

Is there a primer or some documentation I can read about streaming DTS to my receiver?

PS: I'm using .mkv files.

-Signed, Dummy
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Basic Dummy Question

Basically you will need to create a transcoding profile for your reciever.

http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Nihilator

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Guys,

Is there anyone out there that can treat me with kid gloves on this one. I don't know a lot about this stuff.

I have found that the only way I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 to my receiver is to use PS3 Media Server with their TSMuxer. I want to mux DTS and turn it into something my receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-33) can understand.

Do I lay this in the transcode section of the Profiles.xml to mux DTS?

<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="lpcm">
 <Matches container="matroska" aCodec="dca" />
</Video>

Do I have to add a whole section to the profiles.xml for my receiver in order to mux DTS audio?

Currently my setup is this:

I use the DLNA client software on my Samsung 6500 HDTV to connect to my Serviio DLNA server. My receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-33) currently spits out 2 channel PCM audio. Why won't the serviio server hand my receiver the DTS stream and my receiver process it? I don't understand. I want to enable surround sound on it but am too stupid to understand this process. Anyone out there willing to put it in layman's (AKA: dummy) terms for me?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Serviio uses FFmpeg that cannot mux DTS into mpegts yet, AFAIK. The above code would mux it to lpcm, stereo. You might set up transcoding the DTS into AC3, which should preserve the 5.1 sound.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2091

You'll need a whole new profile with the appropriate transcoding config, or use an existing one that would suit your needs.
<<

Nihilator

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:57 am

zip,

Transcoding DTS to AC3 would be fine, but what Transcode setting (below) do I need to change on my Samsung HDTV (AKA: DLNA player) profile to make this happen?

Current Samsung profile settings:

<Transcoding>
<!-- transcode H264 MP4 files with LPCM audio -->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3">
<Matches container="mp4" aCodec="lpcm" />
<Matches container="flv" vCodec="h264" />
</Video>

<!-- transcode MKV with MPEG2 video, remux into mpeg2ts -->
<!-- transcode AVI with AVC video -->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" targetVCodec="mpeg2video">
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="mpeg2video" />
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="h264" />
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="mjpeg" />
<Matches container="flv" />
</Video>
<!-- For dvr-ms files force mpeg2video transcoding to fix monotone timestamps problems-->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" forceVTranscoding="true">
<Matches container="asf" vCodec="mpeg2video" />
</Video>
<Video targetContainer="mpegts">
<Matches container="wtv" />
</Video>
<!-- transcode audio only for wmv with wmapro -->
<Video targetContainer="asf" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="256">
<Matches container="asf" aCodec="wmapro" />
</Video>
<Audio targetContainer="lpcm">
<Matches container="asf" />
<Matches container="mp4" />
<Matches container="flac" />
<Matches container="ogg" />
</Audio>
</Transcoding>

PS:
I am currently receiving PCM (2-channel) stereo through my Pioneer Elite VSX-33 receiver - using the Samsung HDTV (AKA: DLNA player) profile settings (above).
<<

zip

Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

do you have a C/D series TV? if yes, that should play DTS without transcoding using the built-in C/D profile. It should then probably pass it through optical cable to the receiver, but you might have to change some settings on the TV, not to change it to lpcm.
<<

Nihilator

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:40 am

zip,

I have a Samsung UNC55C6500 HDTV. Is this what they consider a "C" (AKA: C6500) series?

I have VUDU and Netflix streaming with DD 5.1 (using my Samsung UNC55C6500 HDTV and Pioneer Elite VSX-33 receiver - via a Toslink/SPDIF fiber optic cable).

How can VUDU and Netflix stream Dolby 5.1 just fine (through the same equipment listed above), but serviio can't? What am I doing wrong?

I just cannot (for the life of me) stream 5.1 audio (from these ".mkv" files) using Serviio. Linear PCM (2-channel) is the only audio I can pass from my HDTV to my receiver.

If I have to transcode from DTS to AC3, can you tell me what I need to enter (under the "Samsung TV / player (C/D-series)" section. I'm new to this software and knowing me, I'll make a typo in the "profiles.xml" file.

BTW: The only way I can send a ".mkv" file (w/multichannel audio - AKA: DD 5.1) from my HDTV to my receiver is to use the "TSMuxer" option (within the PS3 Media Server).

PS: The "SPDIF Output" - "Dolby Digital" option (within my Samsung HDTV on-screen menu system) is grayed out by design.

Signed, Dummy
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:10 am

Nihilator wrote:I have a Samsung UNC55C6500 HDTV. Is this what they consider a "C" (AKA: C6500) series?

YEP. :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

LLoyd

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:41 pm

It is well known in the industry that the C series does not allow multi-channel DTS to be sent down to the receiver. The C series can send ac3 to the receiver using a spdif cable. I do not have enough time to help you troubleshoot the settings that you configured on the default c/d profile to transcode dts to ac3. Maybe somebody else has the time or can can help you on that. Take care.
<<

Nihilator

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Temporary workaround: I used ffmpeg to manually transcode the DTS stream to AC-3 (640mbps) and added the AC-3 stream as a second audio track to my MKV.

Anyone out there that can help me transcode DTS to AC-3 using Serviio? What do I need to change in the Serviio "profiles.xml" file?

I have a C series Samsung (UN55C6500)
<<

zip

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:54 pm

Use the B series profile to try it out.

Return to General discussion