FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Servioo can stream content outside of my home network ?

<<

bekhanaro54

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:57 am

Servioo can stream content outside of my home network ?

Hello,

I would like to know if with Serviio I can stream my media files outside of my home network,when I'm out of my home. And If you know a DNLA client that can connect to the Serviio server also when I'm not inside my home network. thanks.usps tracking showbox speed test
Last edited by bekhanaro54 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:20 pm

Re: Servioo can stream content outside of my home network ?

DLNA is not streamable outside a private network. The protocol is not permitted across the Internet, and you wouldn't want your computer that accessible outside the firewall anyway. So no, there is no DLNA client/player that works across the Internet.

The Pro (paid) version of Serviio does have web based access to your media. That is the MediaBrowser, and once you set up your router correctly you can watch your media from anywhere with Internet access. Since it's browser based, you don't use anything like a Roku or Fire TV player. In most cases, you'd use a computer, although some TVs have browsers as an app and might support playback.

Note that to connect to MediaBrowser from the Internet, you need either a static IP address on your router, or you need to use some sort of dynamic DNS service. I use the latter, as there are both paid and free DDNS services. I use DNSExit.com (a free service), but there are many more available. It might be worth paying for a service to get a URL you like better than the free services offer.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion