FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Can Serviio/ffmpeg bypass router security?

<<

Karela

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:51 pm

Can Serviio/ffmpeg bypass router security?

I have Win 7 64 running a Serviio DLNA Server (v1.1). The router I am using is a Technicolor TG582n.

I have set up the Router to use "WPA-PSK Encryption" and only "allow New Stations via registration". As such all the "detected devices" listed on the Router are owned by my family and are ones I've actively registered.

The reason for this post is that last night I had a warning (via Norton 360) of high CPU usage from ffmpeg.exe. I believe that ffmpeg.exe is used by Serviio (for transcoding?). The usage peaked at 95% and when monitored via task manager typically was using 25%. At this point, I was the only person on the computer and only using it for browsing.

When I checked Serviio console, I noticed that there were two devices with IP addresses that did not match any of the devices allowed on the Router.

My immediate concern was whether someone was accessing my DLNA server without my knowledge.

So I have few questions:

1) Why can Serviio "see" devices that are not allowed by the router and is there different security settings for DLNA access?

2) What other programs could have been using ffmpeg.exe?

3) Is there anyway of monitoring DLNA activity?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:06 pm

Re: Can Serviio/ffmpeg bypass router security?

1) Serviio sees any device on your network. If it's listed, then for whatever reason that device was on your network. DLNA has in and of itself no security. It's designed for use on private networks, and cannot be accessed beyond the local IP address range. So it might be seeing your smart phone, a WiFi tablet, even a smart watch.

2) There are other programs that might use FFMPEG, but they're all going to be related to media use. You would likely know if you had some other software installed that uses FFMPEG. For example, Handbrake uses it, as does many other media manipulation programs.

That said, Serviio also uses FFMPEG when examining media for metadata extraction. I wouldn't expect CPU use to be that high unless it's performing transcoding, in which case CPU use is usually close to 100%.

3) I'm sure there are such monitoring programs, but I've never looked for them so have no suggestions. Wireshark of course can scan your network for almost anything, but it's a very complicated program to use.

If you are truly running Serviio 1.1, you are really, really using an old version. That was released December 19, 2012. There are huge improvements in Serviio since then.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion