FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Using Serviio with Kodi??

<<

LewisMiles

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:24 am

Using Serviio with Kodi??

Hi, I'm new to Serviio so please bear with some dumb newbie questions. I am trying to use Kodi with Serviio to send media to my Sony Bravia TV, with DLNA. I don't have a clue how to do this, but I think it must be possible. Can someone walk me through the steps to make this happen? Appreciate it very much; thanks in advance for your help!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Re: Using Serviio with Kodi??

I use Kodi as my player on my Nvidia Shield players without issue. I wasn't aware you could install Kodi on a TV, but since it's an Android device like the Shield I suppose it should work fine. Kodi doesn't auto-detect a DLNA server, but you can add it as a file source the same as any other type of source. If I remember correctly, it can be found as a uPnP device.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:59 am

Re: Using Serviio with Kodi??

I've read your question more closely, and I believe you may not be asking what I thought. Serviio and Kodi can both be used as a DLNA server. That's the only purpose for Serviio, while Kodi can be used as a general player for DLNA sources. You wouldn't use Serviio AND Kodi to send your media to your TV. Serviio would be installed on your media computer, and Kodi is installed on the TV (if possible) or on a streaming player (such as the Shield) and used as the media player.

If your Sony TV has built in support for DLNA playback (and my guess is it does), then there's no need for Kodi at all. That said, either Kodi or VLC are far more capable players than what is generally built into a smart TV. Kodi on my Shield players do not require transcoding for any of my media. Every smart TV I've owned has needed something transcoded, sometimes because of the video or audio codec not being supported, sometimes the container isn't supported, and sometimes it's all three.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion