FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Migrating from Plex?

<<

GavinTyler

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:29 am

Migrating from Plex?

Hi,
I currently have two plex servers. on different machines, both running windows 10 and acting uniquely as servers.
One I use for Music the other for video.
All my media is set up for Plex, and pretty much displays as it should. Were I to move to Serviio, I'd need to try it without disrupting my existing Plex installations.
Is this likely to cause problems? There is a designated port for Plex - is this the same for Serviio or could another be assigned?
Finally, it will be important to be able to use it on tablets both Mac and Android, and Roku. Do the apps work well? Also, I hate ads - are there versions that you just pay for and that's that...?

Many thanks for your advice.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:11 pm

Re: Migrating from Plex?

I have Plex and Serviio installed on both of my media computers. They do not interfere with each other in the slightest. They use different ports, and you can disable the DLNA server portion of Plex if you don't want it appearing as a DLNA source. Since Plex works best with it's own apps on players, you don't need DLNA enabled if you're just using them.

For iOS and Android devices, VLC works well for streaming from Serviio. For iOS there's also Infuse. For Android there's a user here that created ServiiGo, which can stream from Serviio outside your home network, similar to the way Plex can be accessed from the Internet. It does require buying Serviio Pro for that function. Pro also offers MediaBrowser, which is a web based player and can also be accessed from the Internet once your router is correctly configured.

For Roku devices, I created different profiles tailored to match a device's capabilities. Serviio does not assign the best profile to a device, so you need to do that manually. As long as the IP address remains the same the profile remains assigned correctly. There is a Wiki page that describes the profiles in more detail. https://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=ro ... e_profiles With the latest Roku Ultra (model 4800), I'm probably going to need to add another profile. I just received one two days ago, and am still figuring out if it needs something different. For the moment, the 4800 is having problems with aspect ratios on some SD material. I haven't pinpointed the cause as of yet.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion