FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need help with Serviio - is this a good place to ask?

<<

albalynga48

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:54 am

Need help with Serviio - is this a good place to ask?

I was hoping there would be a Serviio subreddit, but there's only one post in there, so now I'm looking further afield, sorry if this isn't the right place.

I have a HTPC (windows 7) set up in my lounge room with a hard drive connected filled with video and music files (many different formats). Recently I purchased a smart TV with DLNA capabilities for my bedroom so I could stream from my HTPC in there.

I had a half arse muck around with both vlc and windows media server to try and get this happening but neither seemed to work, so tonight I downloaded serviio. I've added the media files to the library and the server appears on my smart TV, but when I try and select it I get the error "Loading the DLNA resource failed" and that's it.

Can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Or point me to a better subreddit to ask in? Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:25 pm

Re: Need help with Serviio - is this a good place to ask?

Yes, it's fine to ask here. Welcome!

What brand Smart TV do you have? Serviio has different profiles for different devices, and you might need to select a profile different from what Serviio assigned by default.

Most TVs don't have the best implementation of DLNA, and often has a number of limitations. That's what the profiles are used for, to ensure playback best matches the player and transcode any media that the TV doesn't support.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion